Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Heath posted:

Did Hidden Missiles get a buff recently or something? 8 out of my last 10 fights have had Doom on assist with HM.

Nope, it's just one of the best assists in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Anybody with hidden missiles is the stupidest poo poo ever.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I actually don't fight that many. I fight a ton of Hawkeyes though.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Morrigan takes quite a bit of execution to be effective as well, so you might want to look at leveling up your execution or picking some easier characters. I'm thinking of running a Dorm/Morrigan/Doom team because Doom helps them both quite a bit with Plasma Beam or Hidden Missiles. Dorm doesn't help Morrigan all that much, but Morrigan is Dorm's bff with the meter assist. Stalking flares everywhere.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Shiki Dan posted:

gently caress me, my terrible eyesight and I hate that abbreviation for Dormammu.

Especially since every loving Dormammu player except me pairs him up with Doom now.

I don't. I was thinking about a theoretical Dorm/Doom team because plasma beam would really help with Dormammu's zoning. I run Cap/Dormammu/Morrigan. Not the best team, but one of the better teams I could come up with using characters I actually like.

TaurusOxford posted:

Would probably be easier to just call it team Doomammu.

"You have no hope! Run, RUN!!!"

"Welcome to my realm. This game is over!"

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm so happy Morrigan is getting love in this game. She's one of my favorite fighting game characters and she made me so sad in vanilla. Too much work for very little reward. At least now she's still work, but you actually get a reward.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Goodpart posted:

I'm not a huge fan of this game per se and so I tend to skim over certain things, but I'm pretty sure that even from the perspective of a casual observer, Australia's ArnoldDesu has a loving amazing Morrigan (and his pocket Trish/Storm aren't bad either). I'm pretty sure his maze of projectiles is impossibly good.

http://www.twitch.tv/ozhadou/b/309033360

His match against NefeliousG is at 2 hours 36 mins, his match against LowBlow in the winner's final is at 3 hours 4 mins, and the grand final against ToXY is at 3 hours 16 mins.

He won OHNX against a pretty heavy field, beating guys like ToXY and NefeliousG (who was top 25 at EVO last year).

Keep in mind, he's been playing MVC for less than a year, plays on pad, doesn't use male characters in any game he plays, and has just turned 18.

Plus, every time he does something awesome, he just smiles surprisedly at himself as if he didn't know he could do it. It's infectious.

Those were some pretty fun matches. I love watching a good Morrigan control the screen. Though I'm hoping that someone eventually plays a Morrigan that is a cross between Omniscythe's rushdown-only Morrigan and Dieminion/Arnold's primarily zoning oriented Morrigan.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

If there were online tiers, Strider would definitely be near the top with teleports and wall clinging and LAG! I hate lag! :argh:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dren posted:

Anyone watch WNF last week?

jwong Rocket Raccoon:
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/309473292?t=29m3s

Combofiend's Nova:
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/309473292?t=54m05s

Notice how Combofiend improves upon the standard Nova approach of call assist + box dash with j.H by dashing as soon as he lands then going for the instant overhead. This enables Combofiend to keep the pressure on and helps set his Nova apart from everyone else's. He does a lot of other nice stuff including a good read with an overhead and a nice AA jab. Upa and Killer Kai do a great job on the mic, they identify pretty much everything that Combofiend is doing. Imo, the hole in Combofiend's Nova game is that he goes for the box dash mixup in the corner, where he is vulnerable to an airthrow. Unfortunately, KGR does not test it in this match.

Royal Flush shows some stuff with Thor/Modok/Viewtiful Joe:
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/309473292?t=1h

Notably, Royal Flush uses Thor's Mighty Strike to plow through Zero's buster and lightning. It might be that Tape Bot doesn't have the best Zero but Thor looks to have some good angles against Zero.

Wentinel pulls out Masta CJ's team in a different order, Wesker/Dormammu/Magneto and does some sick stuff with Dormammu:
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/309473292?t=1h21m

Beyonzo (Fanatiq) perfects Floe:
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/309473292?t=1h29m30s

The next match is Wentinel and Richard Nguyen, who are both awesome, with Combofiend and jwong on the mic. Richard does insane Vergil combos that give Combofiend an erection. http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/309473292?t=1h34m30s

The rest of WNF awesome. That Japanese dickrider guy should try watching WNF once if he wants to see good marvel.

I've never seen Wentinel's Dormammu and feel like I've been missing out. He did some crazy stuff with him in those matches. It's nice to see a Dorm that uses spells.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Waverhouse posted:

I get out of Wesker land and then: Spencers, everywhere. God drat that bionic arm. God drat it to hell.

I can beat average Spencers all day long, but when a good one shows up I'm at a loss. When he ziplines covered by an assist I don't know what to do.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Trish makes people online soooooooo salty.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Why is Morrigan getting nerfed? Hidden missiles is the only reason spam becomes a problem.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

SpaceBees posted:

Nitsuma is going to be at EVO...

Well, I hope there are an abundance of Dooms at EVO and a Doom wins and he gets the She-Hulk treatment if they balance the game again, specifically targeting Hidden Missiles as an assist.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Assuming the time works for me, I'm signed up. Though I mistyped my SA name and don't know how to edit it. GT: melloblack2

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Okay, time to expose myself as a clueless Mennonite. What kind of hardware or software do I need to interact with that link for synirc.net? What are the steps between "Download this program / visit this site" and "You are now in the lobby ready to participate in the tournament"?

Do I need to hook up my PS3 to my computer through a separate accessory or some kind of high-tech voodoo?

Don't feel bad. This is my first time in an IRC as well. :hfive:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I have to go take care of a situation and I don't know if I'll be done before 9:00. I don't remember if you can remove yourself from the signup list or not and don't have time to check so just know that theguy2687/melloblack2 on the 360 list will no longer be participating.

Next time goons. Trish/Dorm/Wesker or Cap/Dorm/Morrigan are gonna wreck house.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm sad I missed the tournament and I don't think I can compete in the next one because it starts too late for me. I have to be up for work in the morning. Could it start at 9:00est or is the time set in stone?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Trish makes people soooooo salty.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is the 360 tournament dead? I would finally be able to play in one since I've moved to a new city and don't have too much to do yet. :(

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Oh, and also, grad school.

What's up grad school buddy? :hfive:

My term starts Monday so I'm getting in all the gaming I can before things get hectic.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ehhh. Not a whole lot.

Started back to school this summer, and I've been nursing the hell out of a big crappy project instead of just getting it done. It looks like my classes are going to interfere with my tourney participation, too. They managed to schedule a three-hour, once-a-week course to overlap with our lobby time. :catstare:

Is it a course you need? If not, ditch it. Video games are much more important than 3 hour seminars! :eng101:

I just taught my first section of a research lab in psychology today and it was my first time teaching. It was kinda fun.

On topic:

Trish makes people online soooo salty. I have a Trish/Phoenix/Morrigan team I play for fun sometimes and Trish got teabagged more than Phoenix. In fact, I don't think anyone teabagged Phoenix. :iiam:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I signed up for the Xbox tournament under my gamertag: Melloblack2. C'mon goons! Don't let the Xbox tournament die again! Sign up and kick some rear end! :black101:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, it looks like I won't be home during the tournament now. :( I've got a group project and my group wants to meet at 6:30. I don't think I'll be back in time. (Central time zone so I'd have to be back by 8).

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The one where you (usually starting off with j.H into crouch H launcher) do a Soul Fist, fly cancel, dash down into an air H, unfly cancel, and then do the jump loop into a relaunch. I usually can do the fly cancel but either do an accidental super when I try to dash down or just sit there mashing my normals.

What combo are you doing? Have a video?

I find that when doing soul fist combos, when you fly after the first soul fist, let the stick swing back to neutral before dashing down. I just do the fly motion and let my hand come off the stick for a split second before dashing and that helps me keep the rhythm going.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Do it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ybrik posted:

Not helping.

I know, but I like variety and the less Vergils/Zeros I see out there, the better.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm actually free on a Thursday for once and no one signed up for Xbox. :(

I might just buy the PS3 version at some point.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Just added 200,000+ damage to my BnB. Anyone here have any experience with Dorm's Purification assist?

If you're using it to OTG you need to do the jS REALLY close to the ground to have enough time for it to come out. If you're using it to control vertical space, it gets the job done, but comes out fairly slowly and gets stuffed a lot.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anyone got any good Dormammu solo combos? I can't seem to find a consensus on a good one standard one anywhere.

If you don't want to bother with the teleport combos, the one I use is:

2L 2M 5H 6H qcb S ADUF ADDF H S (to cancel flight) S jMMHS purification chaotic flame.

It does decent damage without being too timing specific. Just know that you'll need to move slightly upward after canceling into flight to get above the "no dashing" mark in the air.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dren posted:

Isn't task pressure shield skills, shield skills, cancel into arrows or shark sting? If you cancel into arrows it's safe.

That's all I ever see online.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Performed my first 4 soul fist combo online today! It felt pretty good. I even got a love(?)mail about my Morrigan even though she's only decent. I'm just assuming he hadn't seen a Morrigan do any fancy combos online.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

We'll see a MVC4 before we see another patch.

EDIT: I didn't think I could hate zero more than I already do. :argh:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Seizure Robot posted:

It's annoying as gently caress that he has it but the solution is to just not pushblock. Plenty of other characters already have setups like this and the way to not get thrown is to not push, you really shouldn't be in that habit on incoming.

You can't be airthrown after blocking if you don't push so just don't do it if you know there's a throw opportunity coming up. I spent a bunch of time working out ways to get Frank's FFC on incoming characters and then found this out and was pretty sad.

Well, that's good to know. Still hate zero though. :colbert:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Any tips for doing Doom's double footdive combo midscreen? Most times when I do it, the jS misses because they've gone too far back. Sometimes it connects, but I'm not sure what I'm doing differently when that happens.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Thanks. I've been hitting it a lot more consistently just letting the second jM hit once.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Brosnan posted:

Doom is pretty easily top 3 and is really really good in almost any situation. I can't really fathom how anyone could get the idea that Akuma is better in any way. It's really, really not even close.

I think that Doom is a better asset to any team, but the Doom/Akuma anchor question comes down to the matchup. I play Dorm/Morrigan/Doom and I would be much more worried of an Akuma left standing against my team than a Doom. Doom can't do much against Dorm or Morrigan when he's by himself, especially if they have a life lead.

EDIT: Since we're talking about Doom anchors, any suggestions on getting in on people with a solo Doom. I've only recently added him to my team and find it difficult to get in on certain characters, mostly those that can zone effectively.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Super Rad posted:

When have you seen a Doom comeback that wasn't fueled by the opponent making a mistake like pressing buttons and getting footdived?

Praise be to the footdive. :pray:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I remember there were some Morrigan players in this thread, so figured I'd post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIOHbQM28gM

Some interesting Morrigan mobility things I've never seen before.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dias posted:

Can't Viper confirm from a Seismo at 90% screen distance and murder people?

If you have the execution for it? Wouldn't that involve canceling the seismo and then viper balling across the screen to continue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So I received the ps3 version for Christmas, so once I get back from break I should be able to participate finally.

• Locked thread