Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Justin Wong: Wesker/Vergil/Strider "the team to pick"

https://twitter.com/!/JWonggg/status/135645939200303106

I had already kinda been thinking about this team, tbh. On paper, Wesker/Vergil/literally any assist character is gonna be pretty goddamn monstrous though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Wesker is the funnest character in the game. gently caress the haters??

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Rocket punch's hitstun drops off more sharply now than it used to so you can't end combos with rocket punch xx HSF, but it's fine because hard drive loop and rocket punch xx plasma storm both do more damage anyway. Sent is still really really good.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Hawkeye is a loving monster. That dude can just cover the loving screen with arrows. Day 1 top tier imo.

My team for right now is Strange/Storm/Sent (Team S+++). It is really really strong and I'm already having more fun than I ever did in vanilla. Here's why this team (and especially Doc Strange) own(s).

For a supposed zoning character, Dr. Strange can be a really hard character to block. You can do jump back L dagger of denak, get hit on the way down only for them to get hit by the dagger and give you a free combo. His teleport is stupid fast and sets up pressure with Sent's drones assist really well. Here's my Dr. Strange bnb for right now:
cr.LM impact palm xx grace of hoggoth (L version midscreen for mixups, M version in corner for relaunch), cr.HS sj.MMHS (in the corner you can get a relaunch if you use M glyph). If you set up with a L glyph you can do flames of the faltine after the sj.S and then teleport for a really tricky solo ambiguous crossup.

Strange and Storm are best friends. They DHC back and forth to each other really really well, and having spell of vishanti DHC hailstorm available helps Strange's (not great) damage output a lot. If Strange is getting rushed down hard and he's about to die, seven rings DHC hailstorm is an awesome oh-poo poo button.

Storm is really loving amazing in UMVC3 simply by virtue of not having been nerfed at all. She has by far the fastest trijump in the game that I know of, and Storm/Sent still have great synergy even without the DHC glitch.

It kinda goes without saying that Sent drones are amazing. It's kind of the ideal horizontal space-control assist for Dr. Strange because they go fullscreen, aren't a true blockstring (is this still true) and don't knock down on hit, which lets the Doc do cool impact palm combos.

I haven't watched any match vids and I don't have the ultimate bible yet, so all this is stuff I found on my own. Does anyone know if Dr. Strange can get a solo relaunch without having to set up a red glyph?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
To be fair, you should probably know which character is in which assist slot at all times without having to look.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Phenotype posted:

^^^^^ My Amazon order got pushed back a month (and cancelled), but they had two on the shelf when I went to Gamestop!

This is the case once you've settled on a team, but not when you're loving around with different characters, or even worse, one new character and your two FTW mains in different spots. It's another thing to keep track of, and it's wicked annoying that my first instinct is wrong when I look at the life meters.

The only thing I can think of is that they thought "Well, if you look up from the fight, the first lifebar you see is your first assist." Except that it doesn't work that way at all.

Fair enough. What you ideally should be able to do isn't really an excuse for bad UI design. It wouldn't even be a big deal if A1 was on top and A2 on bottom.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Sade, are you a Storm player?

Also, I hope you're maining Firebrand.

My main team right now is Doc Strange/Storm/Sent. I did a little mini effort post earlier today.

I... actually haven't gotten around to learning Firebrand yet :negative: My alt team is definitely gonna be built around him based on pure love for the character.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Oh my god that team in Strange/Storm/Hawkeye order would be so beefy, brb training mode

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Wolverine is still really really good, it's just not quite as easy to get in on people with him as it was before. He's a rushdown monster, still, but he's not totally braindead to play which is how wolverine should be imo.

Actually, air x-factor might have made wolverine's damage even better than in vanilla.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Niddhogg posted:

Doctor Strange owns!!!

Emptyquoting this! Dude has the best teleport and the best level 1s and the best set of projectiles in the whole game. The doctor is in, bitches !

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Groghammer posted:

As long as we're on the subject, how important would you say it is for Strange to set up Graces of Hanna? Should I look for places whenever possible or just pop some up when the opponent's KO'd or something?

Besides using a red one for OTG in the corner, of course.

You can set up two glyphs for later mixups by doing LM impact palm xx glyph, glyph, HS at the beginning of your combos. Besides that, I mostly just super jump and place a couple after I kill a character.

Groghammer posted:

Also, Dr. Strange and Hawkeye should form a team of people with instant golden supers that kick everyone's rear end. Can't think of a third, though.

careful with that stick

Spencer, duh! Strange/Spencer/Hawkeye actually wouldn't be that bad.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jmcrofts posted:

You can get 3 launches if you do:

ground combo-> launch, bbc down+c, then do qcb+a to land.
Launch again, bbc xx surfboard move,
launch one last time, c, s, otg super.

I'm not near my xbox at the moment. What's the damage like on this? I've been trying really hard to get Firebrand over 500k with one bar but it's really really hard.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

What does Rocket Raccoon's giant trap super actually do? Just cause a spinning knockdown? I don't have the game yet but it's never really clear in videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW6NMFvrWvU#t=2m10s

Liku posted:

Well, found out that with Strider if you have the Orbs out and you wavedash the game registers the dash as an attack so the Orbs shoot, so you basically barrel down the screen into the opponent's face with the orbs constantly shooting and since you're not throwing out any attacks you're not getting pushed away. Don't know how viable it is in a real game but kinda interesting. I managed to get it up to 40 hits before the combo broke and there was plenty of time left on the Orbs, no clue if there's any timing you can do to have it go the whole length of the Hyper.

Hitstun deterioration will keep you from comboing for the entire length of ouroboros and you can get more damage by wall jumping and teleporting and generally being unblockable as gently caress anyway.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
If the point character blocks the launcher, you can't super jump cancel it, even if you're hitting an assist character at the same time. If you catch an assist by itself out in the open you can do whatever you want to it.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Gutcruncher posted:

My favorite part of the Frank West trials is how it doesnt mention which of the combos you can stick a snapshot at the end of.

None of Phoenix Wright's trials involve turnabout mode in the slightest even those all of his fun combos involve turnabout somehow. Capcom really doesn't give a poo poo whether you learn to play the game or not.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Here's a fun little tidbit: Firebrand's j.qcb+M and H, while they act basically just like an 8-way airdash, really just count as a special move that move him a certain way. Who cares you say? That means Firebrand is now the only character in the game that can block after an airdash!

I just spent like 3 hours messing around with Firebrand in training mode. He owns. He owns!!!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Ran into Viscant playing Ghost Rider/Strider/Hawkeye on ranked earlier. Have never played against GR before. I let myself get excited when I saw his gamertag, was starstruck, choked bigtime and lost :(

Any anti-Ghost Rider strategies if your team doesn't have any teleports?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I played a lot of point Iron Man in vanilla - he was the anchor/assist char on my vanilla team - and from what I can tell, he does a lot more damage when he lands a hit in Ultimate, but his nerfed trijump plus the fact that he still can't do cr.LMHS makes it ten times harder to land that hit in the first place.

While I'm on a tangent, riddle me this, thread: Hawkeye is, judging by his array of projectiles, ostensibly a zoning character. His st.H is a projectile, and it combos into S, slide, f+H, all his specials and the gold arrow super. Rocket Raccoon is, again ostensibly, a zoning character, and has projectile standing and crouching H's that combo, again, into his standing S. Iron Man's changes all seem to involve weakening his tri-jump offense in exchange for strengthening his zoning game, and they even went to the trouble to make his cr.H missile fly more horizontally and special cancellable, but it doesn't combo from his cr.M and doesn't lead to anything in particular. It kinda sucks, Iron Man is a cool character. :(

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm not sure why it bothers you so much that Iron Man can't do cr.lmhs. He can do cr.l l l m s, so what's the difference?

Damage and hitstun scaling, for one, but it's also a philosophical thing cause I wish Tony didn't suck.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jmcrofts posted:

The hitstun scaling is irrelevant because your ground and air hitstun are stored differently, meaning no matter how many L's you do, once you launch it doesn't matter.

The damage scaling is also kind of a non-issue because you're using the same number of hits to confirm if you only do 2 cr.l's, so they get the same amount of scaling. All you really lose is the difference in damage between a cr.l and a cr.h.

Did not know that about ground/air hitstun! Cool tidbit. I thought using light attacks scales damage more harshly than heavy attacks though? Maybe I just need to read up on UMVC3's damage scaling rules again.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Who else do you play? Zero is actually relatively easy to zone out if you have a projectile you can fire down from the air at a 45-degree angle. Wesker beats Zero pretty bad for this reason, IMO, because the only option the robot has against super jump gunshot teleport is his level 3.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Niddhogg posted:

Strange is unquestionably good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMGWSXazUik

This is my new favorite video.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Niddhogg posted:

All that + the best level 1 super in the game.

Dr. Strange anchor is Spencer levels of good because of spell of vishanti and he has one of the best beam assists in the game. Doc Strange circlejerk go!!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Storm is really really really monstrous. Jamcrofts, if you haven't, you should go watch Fanatiq's MSS Then & Now series, he shows some really cool Ultimate Storm/Sent stuff. Firebrand/Storm is really boss too, they have great synergy.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
You can't downback in this game. If you're put into a situation where there's nothing you can do but block, you're eventually going to get hit and start losing characters. Pushblock, super-jump and get the gently caress out of there, create some distance and start your own offense before they can start theirs.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
How about 921 for 2 meters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-T_Je4NJPI

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Just in case you needed any more convincing that Spencer/Wesker/Doom is loving monstrous, here's a video of that exact team killing the poo poo out of a bunch of high-health characters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfgqDUyPHNw&feature=plcp&context=C207c3UDOEgsToPDskJ9Ko5RD4pdxY0k7ZDAPF28

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Fanatiq is the only top marvel player that plays on pad that I'm aware of. He's also been playing on pad for like 8 years.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/06/guest-editorial-wesker-not-overpowered-by-renegade/

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
All of nick's assists are invincible but press the witness is the most obnoxious one. Swoop assist for firebrand is okay but not great.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
^^^ I really wish they'd made Wesker's level 3 a K' style "hit you, put on glasses, beat you to a pulp" super.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Sheesh. You would think I made Piss Christ or something.

It's just my opinion. Remember, I'm an outsider to the game and I only judged what I saw.

F.E.: I am also one of those people who are happy that Ors is a level 3 and Doom's rocks got neutered.

Your judgments are wrong, sorry bub. The commentators are Justin Wong, the best marvel player in the known universe, mike ross and dogface who are also 10+ year veterans to the scene.

Justin/Dogface is the toppest of top tier commentator teams, seriously. I wish Dogface showed up to more tournaments. Maybe he just doesn't like Marvel 3?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Zaa Boogie posted:

Hey, so, looks like Capcom's put up the Heroes and Heralds card list. And Event Hubs shows the effects for the Megaman cards.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/mvsc3/system_hh_list.html

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/dec/16/umvc3-all-heroes-and-heralds-card-effects-revealed-japanese/

Wow, we only know like 1/4 of the total cards and this mode is already looking loving insane. Megaman X card gives universal airdash, Dr. Wily lets you burn meter to dash cancel normal moves?!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
re: Vergil's HSHSH: Pushblock, dash up and do literally anything. Vergil's poo poo is all sooooo unsafe on whiff.

Near as I can tell, dimension slash (or w/e the gently caress it's called) works kinda the same as maximum wesker, except instead of Vergil bouncing off the wall like he's on crack, he basically creates a shitload of judgment cuts at semi-random spots in the air. Sometimes the first one will pop up in a place that happens to cross you up, but there's not much you can do about that? Of course, that super is also WAY less safe on block than phantom dance is.

Sade fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 22, 2011

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
For real though, what did you think that word meant Schmendrick? And how exactly were you trying to use it? Because it's obvious that in your world, SoCal is something really distasteful but there aren't even any common threads in how you use it besides that...

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

LJONESRYDA posted:

I need some advice after last night, I'm doing some very wrong things with Wesker/Hulk/Sent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTx8EJj3H4&context=C34de429ADOEgsToPDskIwHgvydkyWr5Q556VIdDe1

I just couldn't get in and when I did I was drop crazy.

You are both mashing like crazy. Quit doing MSSSSSSSS whenever you get close with wesker. His standing S is safe on block, but you give up your offensive momentum because it's not special cancelable. Start doing LMH, and if they block it (and especially if they pushblock), cancel the H into teleport and mix them up. If they're blocking too much grab them. In the first match when you got that air throw, you know why you got gunshot xx M teleport? I'm betting it's because you were doing df+H MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Quit that, start visually confirming when stuff hits. There were a bunch of times as Hulk (when Sentinel assist hits, but you jump harmlessly over them because you're just holding up+forward and hitting S) and Sentinel (where you'd land a jump S, land and whiff a cr.M underneath them) where the other guy hands you his character for free and you do nothing with it.

So that's my advice: Play more deliberately. Quit mashing, start taking advantage of opportunities, and maximize your damage when you land a hit. Basically just keep a cool head. Making a conscious effort not to hit any more buttons than are necessary will likely make a big difference by itself. And never guess when you can confirm.

Also, if you're gonna run Hulk in the second spot, there's no reason not to abuse the AA gamma charge assist. That thing owns.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Spacing bionic lancer such that it just grazes the bottom of their hitbox pops them higher in the air, allowing for followups like armor piercer xx another bionic lancer. It's purely the stuff of combo videos though.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Dren posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BLR-VsqN44&list=PL6F068AE6D8433A50&t=280

You won't like Marlinpie when he's angry.

Does that dude make this poo poo up on the fly? Why would you even want to spend the time learning a silly-rear end combo like this.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhIIYnN1y_A&lc=qLGzW9PzZ23uJOvmmho_ccu4VQdCx6yStFqiVNPHbVk&context=G2ff7f33FAAAAAAAACAA&feature=g-all-c

Seriously considering picking this game up again and building a team around The Coon. Secret top tier???

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Cap reeeeeally likes a horizontal space-covering assist (of which plasma beam is still the best in the game) to cover his cartwheel crossup nonsense. And I've seen cap players do L shield slash + beam assists for easy relaunches in the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Gimlet is punishable on hit, block and whiff and can be easily avoided and punished by raw tagging, sooooo don't do it outside of a combo unless you can kill someone with it!

• Locked thread