Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can we go back to protips on reliably doing the DP motion? I don't quite "get it" yet.

Also, as I have the game early, I'd be happy to help people answer any questions.

Since you mentioned having trouble doing double fireballs to get a shoryuken I think you need some work on your execution.

To practice your shoryuken go into training and turn on input display. Do the shoryuken motion slowly and feel the switches in your joystick click as you hit each direction. Look at the input display to see what inputs you're getting and make sure they're right. It's important that you get the feel for where you need to be moving the stick. Next, speed up the motion some (but not too fast!) and try to hit it ten times in a row. Watch your inputs to make sure you're not getting too sloppy with the joystick and not hitting your attack button before you finish the motion.

Once you can do the shoryuken quit playing matches and go do mission mode. Take it from someone whose online win ratio is like 10% in vanilla, if you can't do the inputs correctly you are wasting your time playing matches. When you're in mission mode break the combos up into pieces if you're having trouble with them. For example if you're trying to do a Ryu combo with a wallbounce opener practice L M H f+H b d db+L until you can nail it tens times in a row before you move on to the next part of the combo.

The more characters you complete the easier it gets. Once you have confidence in your inputs the game really starts to open up and playing it is so much more fun. You can develop strategies and adapt to the other player instead of focusing on mashing out a dragon punch motion the whole match.

Can we get the last post of the vanilla thread in here? That picture is hilarious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

apophenium posted:

Here's a thoroughly enjoyable combo exhibition as a sendoff to Vanilla MvC3.

http://youtu.be/Dv7_7RCKMck

The Haggar combo was pimp

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
So for Iron Fist if you block his attack string he can cancel to chi which has super armor so you can't punish. In his attack string he can rapidly cancel in and out of his overhead rekka and low rekka.

If you're fighting him I guess you have to jump a lot and maybe try to throw him out of chi?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Just came on here to post that video. Goddamn

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dosvidanya posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkDih50_Kbg

Here's video of nova slide cancel so you can see why I'm like dayum.

If the opponent blocks the slide and you cancel to flight can you overhead them before they leave blockstun or at least get a frame trap?

I wouldn't say flight canceling makes the slide safe since you can't block while flying. Is his j.S an overhead and is the slide a low? Is slide xx flight into j.S a mixup?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Hey do 24 hour walmarts sell games at midnight?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Vengarr posted:

Dunno, but I'd check your local game stores. A lot of them are having midnight sales (for Assassin's Creed, of course, but no reason not to take the opportunity...)

Bah, I hate gamestop but I may give it a shot since it's across the street from my house. If they tell me I should've preordered I will be pissed.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Are those nova jump loops desk was doing corner only?

edit: n/m the first video is not in the corner

The first vid looks like a really easy BnB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a0suWnxxkhk
j.H, cr.H, st.S, sj.H, fly, H, unfly, H, cr.H, st.S, sj.H, fly, H, unfly, H, st.S, sj.M-M-H xx air fireball xx Super.

The second vid doesn't look necessary the damage is about the same and it's corner only.

Dren fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 15, 2011

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I got my copy from Best Buy this morning when the store opened. It took five minutes.

This was after trying two Walmarts and a Target. The first Walmart had it but I asked four employees to open the case, none could, and none could find the person with the keys. The employees at Target were very helpful but Target isn't carrying it in the store. I looked at the stock sheet with the woman stocking the shelves and it wasn't on there. The Target website confirms that the game is unavailable. The second Walmart hadn't stocked it yet and wasn't getting the shipment till later today. By then it was almost 10 so I went to Best Buy.

I'm working a bit late tonight and most stores will be closed when I get home so I figured I'd pick it up this morning.

tldr; Your Best Buy and Walmart may or may not have it, Target won't.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
So whoever was talking about nova earlier and wondering what you can do after fly canceling his slide -- If you press an attack button fast enough your d db b will still be in the input buffer and you'll cancel to a nova strike.

Also, if you are having trouble connecting the Nova slam after the air series, delay your super jump after the launcher like you would for a sentinel combo.

Dren fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 16, 2011

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bob Shabazz posted:

I thought Deadpool could cancel Quick Work into Chimichangas now? I haven't got it to work at all

I've done it a few times when I mashed the gently caress out of H but I can't figure out the timing either.

edit: holy poo poo sentinel's bnb off a frying pan does 937k with mashing now. relaunch off a frying pan does just over a mil with mashing

Dren fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 16, 2011

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Two things about Nova:

TK human rocket punch is an overhead and happens just BARELY off the ground so it's tough to distinguish from the regular human rocket punch. When I say barely off the ground I mean it. It comes out so low I thought I missed the TK motion and had to double check the training dummy to make sure he was set to block low. Combine the M or H version with Deadpool's Quick work for a sick unblockable that leads into an easy combo. If Quick Work hits first on small characters Nova will miss them on the followup.

Nova can act REALLY fast after entering flight. So fast in fact that he can cancel flight into a human rocket punch by pressing d db b S L (you don't have to repeat the d db b motion).

edit: gently caress me human rocket punch is always an overhead

Dren fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 16, 2011

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Lothire posted:

Really digging the new game. Vergil is addicting as hell and I want to continue the Deadpool tradition (being able to teleport-cancel is as great as it sounds and with proper timing, you can get a quick work in after a grenade toss, but I haven't been able to combo out of a full screen guns with teleport).

Comboing out of full screen guns with teleport does work. I only tried it out for a moment but I got it to work like 75% of the time. I successfully went from teleport to L, M, and S.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I played a few Phoenix Wrights last night with Deadpool and it always went like this:
I shoot guns, they call the maya assist and start digging for evidence, I teleport and murder them.

Is there something Phoenix Wright can do about people with teleports other than get murdered?

It's probably partially due to not playing until late last night when I was tired but the mission mode stuff seemed harder this time. I figured I'd do Wolverine's missions for an easy 10/10 and I was shocked that I actually had to think about them a little bit.

I am really liking the buffs to fly that they gave sentinel. Vanilla sent has an awkwardly long time between fly and ability to act that is gone now. Sent's flight feels much faster and his flight combos are way easier.

I played a few Weskers online and Dark Wesker seems even better now.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Brosnan posted:

I pretty much dropped him as soon as I saw that L rocket punch xx HSF doesn't really work anymore. gently caress that noise.

I tested it midscreen, not in the corner, but c.M xx L Rocket Punch xx HSF still works. From what I played around with the only time Rocket Punch xx HSF doesn't connect is after a little bit of hitstun is already in the combo.

For his BnB, and people should have been doing this anyway, do the TK L Rocket Punch xx Hard Drive instead of L Rocket Punch xx HSF. It's a ton of damage and it's easy. j.S S j.M j.M j.H j.S, TK L Rocket Punch xx Hard Drive c.M, M Rocket Punch xx Plasma Storm does like 937k mashed.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
People whose amazon guide orders got canceled or pushed back a few months, did you get an email notification? Mine has said it's coming between the 21st and the 23rd for a while.

Against vergil/dante teleport crap I don't have too many problems as long as I'm moving all the time. Gravametric Pulse assist is nice too, I KO'd a Vergil who teleported into it and it was hilarious.

Anyone do any work figuring out Nova's slide or his Centurion Rush M and H?

With slide (d + M) I wanna know:
  • What slide goes under
  • What slide trades with/beats esp, other char's slides (deadpool, hawkeye, shulk, mags, frank west)
  • How good is slide xx flight j.L? If the slide hits does the j.L combo (I think I did but I might be remembering wrong)? If the slide is blocked can Nova be hit before he gets the j.L out?
I suspect slide doesn't have amazing priority and doesn't go under a lot of things since it goes like 3/4 screen so there has to be a downside.

With Centurion Rush M I wanna know if it's good to throw out in anticipation of a tridash, box jump or jump in overhead since it causes a ground bounce when it hits airborne opponents. So does it:
  • Beat air normals that are just attacks like Magneto's j.H
  • Beat air normals that look like they might be projectiles like Iron Man's j.S or j.H
  • Beat sword air normals like Dante's, Taskmasters, or Zero's?
  • and how unsafe is it on block?

Centurion Rush H has a point of super armor so it could be good to use against other characters pokes that are or can be made safe on block like Task's Shield Skills. It also could go through some projectiles. That point of super armor could make it good if you know the matchups and what it beats.

I tested the Nova Strike moves a little against Zero's s.H. Zero's s.H beats them all clean. I'm guessing the Nova Strike moves will beat non-sword and non-projectile normals but I just don't see any reason to ever use them. They have slow startup, they look unsafe and look like they have low priority. Nova Strike H's crumple is nice but outside of comboing into it I have no clue when you'd use it.

Anyone know of followups to Human Rocket outside of the xfactor j.S move from mission 10?

PS - Is there a way to get the training mode dummy to crouchblock besides recording holding down back and putting it on playback repeat?

Dren fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 17, 2011

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Frank needs a new camera. Mine takes like 6 pictures a second. Ohh wait he must be waiting for the flash to charge.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Groghammer posted:

My Arthur/Haggar team is now officially validated. I mean, drat, 100% combos on near-everyone in the cast in the corner for one meter that build itself.

And yeah, people act like Lariat got as nerfed as Gustaff Fire, but the fact is it only got invincibility removed for two frames on startup. It was punishable by beams and whatnot anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

Well yeah but before Haggar would pop out into a beam for a spin, take 1 hit and pop back out. With invincibility gone from the beginning of the assist it's vulnerable to being baited and punished. It's probably still good but it is punishable now.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Aerial exchange madness in part 2 @ about 12:55. At the end of the match they replay it in slowmo.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/300215444

Broken Loose try Nova's slide (d + M), then fly cancel it and call a low hitting assist simultaneously, dash down forward, j.L j.H j.S. You need the assist to hit or the j.S won't connect so try to hit with the j.L earlier than the assist or at exactly the same time. Also, if you hit j.L j.L j.H j.S the j.S won't come out. I have no idea why this is.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

NecroMonster posted:

I'll give it a try later.

I'd like something with some drat air dashes in. I had to scrape to find something that uses special attacks beside a pulse at the end.

I was practicing the lots of H combo a bunch last night and I noticed that Nova is still in flight after Nova Strike provided you do the Nova Strike early enough that there's some flight time left over. I also noticed that if you can cancel out of flight into Nova Strike without doing a second qcb motion. So you can do: qcb + S then while still holding back hit L really fast after the S to cancel into Nova Strike. After the strike you should still be in flight mode which I'd imagine would open up some combo possibilities.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The Nova combo starter from slide cancel into flight is:
d+M xx flight (move down forward), j.L j.H xx unfly j.L or c.L (combos whether you hit it on the way down or after you land) c.M c.H etc.

You can make it safe/set up an unblockable by calling a low hitting assist as you enter fly.

Pretty sure this works on everyone. If you fly cancel the slide to start it, then move down forward, you'll be at the correct position for j.L to overhead a crouching rocket raccoon.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

NecroMonster posted:

Can another nova player test something for me, Or just someone with some time and modest execution skills?

When throwing left with nova I can get centurian rush L, H S, jH nova strike M to hit. When throwing the enemy right with nova I cannot get the M nova strike to hit. I'm throwing the enemy out of, and not into, the corner in both cases. This is against akuma right now, but I've tested it against a few other characters and it won't work there either. Against heavier/larger characters the standing H won't hit at all, so there won't be enough hitstun left to combo into M nova strike either way, so don't bother trying on anyone haggar/she-hulk size or bigger.

Works fine for me against Akuma in either direction.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

NecroMonster posted:

Working on Corner throw into midscreen right now, fingers are tired of this tho, so I ain't managed it yet. This is what I'm trying: throw 623L M S jH j214L addf jH S jH j214L add jH j623PP mash.

Nice I didn't know Nova Strike L addf j.H was a thing. It looked like there ought to be a way to continue after a Nova Strike L in the air I just hadn't found it.

Do you know if j.M j.M j.H NS L addf j.H xx fly j.M j.H j.S works at superjump height? You might even be able to get greedy and do a second NS L addf j.H since you might still be in flight, giving you a second airdash. I've been doing j.M j.M j.H xx fly j.M j.H NS M j.S but it's midscreen only.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Seizure Robot posted:

Nova's resets are seriously godlike. Here's a cool video to watch.

Particularly the javelin reset, I'm scared.

Those combos are godlike. Makes me realize how much I don't know. At least I found the fly/unfly ground thing before seeing the video.

I especially liked the gravimetric pulse H square jump corner setup. Now I gotta figure out if I want to pick up Spencer for that combo extender assist.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I played around a bit with Deadpool's improved bolo and I really like it. Superjump, throw a bolo at someone who is jumping, and now you can connect a quick work H into a full combo with no problem at all (it was a tough link before if it was even possible off of a superjump, now enemies bounce longer after getting hit with the bolo in the air). I think this may be a bigger buff for him than the guns teleport cancel.

I think you can actually get really good at marvel in the training room. Learning combos is a given but you pretty much have to spend some time learning setups and resets if you want to have a chance at winning. Also, I turned the CPU on very hard and sparred with it a little today and I think that helps a lot, especially when you're learning a new character. If you spend a little time fighting the computer you learn how to attack from any area on the screen so that you're not standing there like a jackass waiting to get murdered when you fight a person. Obviously real matches are better but the CPU is better than nothing and you can play against it as long as you want.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Just finished watching last week's WNF. In the grand finals Combofiend taught a masters class on how to play Sentinel. He also had some pretty great ghost rider.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/300215444 @ part 2, 1:36:20

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Is Vergil's stinger f+H?

I was playing some lovely Vergil whose entire game was to spam stinger over and over so after he tried to do it too close to me I went for a throw and he teched it repeatedly, then followed up with stinger when I stopped trying to throw him.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Is there a stream archive of the cross counter tournament?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Thestream.tv posted the cross counter tournament:

http://www.thestream.tv/4/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-pen/

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Wow. Literally all of these are sold out on Amazon completely. is this normal, or did fighting games just take off all of a sudden?

You can get PS3 TE sticks from here: http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=376 Use coupon code CROSSCOUNTER to save 10%.

If you poke around a bit on the site I think some of the Street Fighter branded sticks are cheaper than the Marvel ones.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
My guide came and it's really nice to know what stuff is safe/isn't.

Nova's j.S is unsafe, but not by as much as it probably ought to be. You could probably throw it out online all day and rarely get punished. His c.H however, is like -2 and creates a ton of space so you can just throw out c.M c.H whenever and have an eternity to confirm into launcher.

Also, the guide combos seem pretty legit this time. Combo I for Nova is the lots of H combo that Desk put up day 1. Combo I for Sentinel is the fly/unfly relaunch combo I've been doing with Sent that took me weeks to learn. The Deadpool combos are good too.

If you are having trouble with Deadpool's Quick Work xx Chimichangas there is a 2 frame window to hit the input and it's after the opponent passes over your head. If you want to be sure you hit it, mash H quickly but lightly. That is, mash H fast but don't fully depress the button. You can mash faster that way. I found that I could hit the Chimichangas cancel consistently. I'm really happy about the Chimichangas cancel from Quick Work. It means that it's easier to start combos with c.L c.M H xx Quick Work H. It should be very possible to do c.L c.M H and hitconfirm the first two hits before throwing out the Quick Work. Standing H is something like -3 so that string is pretty safe. This is in contrast to what I was doing before, c.L c.M c.H. c.H is horrible on block even if you cancel it into Ninja Gift and I would get blown up for throwing it out.

I picked up a tip from James Chen in his commentary at the cross counter open and confirmed it with the guide. If you're dashing and someone activates hyper you can block by holding up back. Most dashes are jump cancelable and jumps have 4 frames of startup during which time your character is on the ground. If you jump cancel during the hyper freeze you'll end your dash and be standing and blocking.

Dren fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 25, 2011

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

This is just ridiculous.

What is ridiculous about that? Other characters do more damage than that without a DHC.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

chumbler posted:

Tremble, mortals, before the might of Goolactus. (They play the actual game at 11 minutes in.)
The best part is when Mike Ross has two bars and his xfactor left, the opponent's last character in a combo with Ryu and Mike ends his combo with air tatsu into shinku hadouken. He can xfactor cancel and do another super to win the match. As the hadouken animation is ending...
gootecks: x factor!
mike ross: No! I'm in there!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Characters Nova's overhead is safe against:
Hulk
Dante
Nemesis
Ghost Rider
She-Hulk
Thor
Haggar
Tron
Sentinel
Super Skrull
Arthur
Chris
Frank West
Dormammu
Phoenix Wright
Spencer

His j.S is only safe against Hulk, but not really, since Hulk can see it coming and s.H.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is Captain America easy to pick up, and is he worth using on point?

I made a spreadsheet of everyone's jab speeds and I feel like it's worth mentioning that Cap's c.L is tied for fastest in the game outside of Dark Phoenix. This means that Cap's c.L jab is better than like 75% of the cast. I believe it has pretty good range too. So when you are playing Cap, get in there.

I picked up a tip that I think is worth sharing. Jumping has a 4 frame startup before you jump. If you input a normal during those 4 frames it will come out as soon as possible after the jump begins. This works during the superjump startup frames when you cancel launcher to superjump and makes hitting fly/unfly combos a million times easier.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tickle Me Chelmno posted:

I made a quick video showing the gimlet thing, and that video is this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QXv7fUjW1o

Sick

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The KoRn Identity posted:

gently caress you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsBRxjAgtg8

That's pretty worthless when IF can already do a 900k BnB. The reset looks like it can be back teched out of 100% of the time. The only time the reset might be troublesome is in the corner where you can't back tech, but Iron Fist can't cross under either so his only option is an airthrow.

Thundercracker posted:

So I've decided on a team of Nemesis/Sentinel/and ? so far, mostly because my combo execution is pretty bad after spending time away from MvC. Who's a good person to fill the 3rd spot (especially as an assist?). I'll trying to keep Nemesis on point, and Sentinel as anchor for obvious reasons.

&&

Here's a question: I've been slowly learning stick recently and I find out that whenever I start the beginning of foot dive Fwd+H most of the time it's the laser that comes out.

What am I doing wrong? I tried both holding the stick forward and flicking it. It's the only thing that's really keeping me from Doom right now.
Pick Hulk with the anti-air assist that way you don't have to change your gameplan away from being slow and spamming armored moves.

For your doom problem, turn on input display in training mode. You are hitting H before you hit fwd. The only answer to this problem is to concentrate, do the combo deliberately, and don't let yourself get rushed because of the excitement of the match or because you really want to hit the combo or whatever. You must focus.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Desk is back http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=id9AYmvYEzg

featuring:
  • Giant servbots in front of character models
  • 900k no meter Nova combo
  • Galactus 100% combos
  • Firebrand lvl 3 infinite (while the helper is out)
  • Magneto combos performed with the characters backwards and silhouetted
  • The Skrull tenderizer loop combined with a glitch that cuts game speed by at least 50%
  • More Wolverine swiss cheese infinite
  • Intricate Hawkeye/Sent/Doom and Iron Fist/Magento combos
  • Rocket Raccoon combo with two level 3's
  • Strider kidnapping Morrigan
  • Frank West taking a picture of you and running you over with a shopping cart

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

NecroMonster posted:

How is he getting a damage and hitstun scaling reset in that Nova combo? :psyboom:

My guess is that it has to do with ground hitstun, jump hitstun and superjump hitstun having different properties. The early part of the combo switches between ground state and jump state (where hitstun is lower), the late part almost exclusively uses the superjump state (where hitstun is higher). I also believe that his combo works because he's timing those j.H's perfectly such that he can link them. No idea what's going on with the damage and whether or not it's resetting.

Take a look at the lots of H video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0suWnxxkhk
Notice that before the second loop he does a c.H before his launcher? He left that out in this combo, I bet because there is not enough hitstun left to link the launcher afterwards. But if he hits them with the launcher (no c.H first) he goes into superjump state and has plenty of hitstun left to keep pummeling them.

I've been doing this combo (A2 is sent drones):
code:
H S
j.H fly j.H unfly j.H
H S
j.H S
f.H H+A2 Supernova
dash xx Supernova
If I change the end to:
code:
f.H H S
They flip out after the H before the S hits.

If I change the end to:
code:
f.H S
j.M j.M j.H Gravimetric Pulse L
Even though there's a lot more hits it works just fine because there is plenty of superjump hitstun left.

Dren fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Huh. I watched Desk's combo in super slow mo so here's the inputs if you want to give it a shot. I'd imagine you need to do it against someone big like Sentinel to connect the j.M after the first fly. Also, Desk does it in the corner.

code:
M H xx fly
j.M j.H xx unfly j.M (while falling)
L M H S
j.H fly j.H unfly j.H
S
j.H fly j.H unfly j.H
S
j.M j.M j.H Gravimetric Pulse L (with 30% red life)
Assuming the damage and hitstun reset @ the LMHS it shouldn't be too hard to do if you can already do the H loop.

• Locked thread