Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Fellblade posted:

As somebody planning on maining Iron Fist this is great and all, but how is he supposed to deal with people who just hold up back?

Up-back isn't a magical get out jail free card. The opponent can block everything while they are in the air, but once they land, you have a moment to high/low mix them. You could also airgrab them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Dr Slouch posted:

All aboard the Wolverine train :toot:
In all seriousness the way it looks, it seems you specifically need a wide character and Spencer assist, so I guess it's not SO bad.

Yessss. Swiss cheese infinite!! I was already using a wolverine/sentinel/spencer team for umvc3. Spencer's otg assist followup for wolverine is a good replacement for the akuma tatsu.

I can't wait to try this out and use it against other people online.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Wolverine's infinite isn't as easy as I thought it was to execute. You also have to mash pretty hard to keep it going; gets pretty tiring after a few seconds. :(

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Put firebrand on last position. He has some sick-nasty lvl 3 x-factor loops. Put him 3rd with the charging attack assist (forget the name) and have haggar on second with lariat.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
The most satisfying part about this game is beating a guy on ranked who had a really high winstreak. :hehe:

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Anyone up for some matches tonight? I need to take a break from ranked matches.

GT: SlayingEduardo

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
You don't need a fight stick to play marvel, a bunch of tourny players like fanatiq use an pad so don't feel obligated to get a stick. I use the xbox pad and the analog stick for input and I can do DP inputs 80% of the time and do alright online.

I've never played on a stick, though. I might buy one in the future to try it out.

Bosushi! posted:

Is there a point when Dante just clicks? Also, is he viable without crazy bold canceling combos? I'd like to play around with him while I'm trying to get a grasp on bold canceling.

You can play dante without bold cancels and do OK. Just do easy stuff like stinger > mash H > launcher into combo or hammer > mash df H > S into combo.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
IIRC fanatiq sometimes plays on one of those new xbox pads with pop-up d-pads.

I'm not saying the xbox pad is better than a stick (since I haven't tried one out), just that you can play relatively well on a pad with some practice.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Airgrab haggar when he whiffs pipe, or dash in and hit c.l (don't mash). If haggar's in the corner you can do an instant overhead with j.l, j.s, drill claw, dive kick into combo. I generally just call drones full screen and "herpderper" slash.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Spencer has an awesome wall bounce assist I use to extend wolvie combos.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Groghammer posted:

I didn't know Sentinel had a special winquote against Zero.

"Retrieving useful technology" :ironicat:

Probably because Zero wins like 9 out of 10 matches against Sentinel.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

(is dropping haggar combos)

How exactly are you dropping them? Does the hawkeye assist come out and hit the opponent right after you do down-H? In my experience, you have to mash out the assist until it comes out then do the OTG.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm looking try a different third for me Hawkeye/Vergil team. I feel pretty comfortable with zoning with Hawkeye, and my Vergil is decent. For the third spot I have tried Sentinel, Doom, and Dr. Strange. I think I like strange the best with his eye of agamatto assist. I'm looking for someone with a good ranged assist or one that helps defend, but he himself is good offensively in case that's needed. Taskmaster maybe?

As viscant recommended, wesker is best friends with vergil. Use him for his otg gunshot.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
I wish Sentinel could flight cancel his specials.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
What team was he using?

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Did Capcom confirm or deny the rumors about Super UMvC3 (whatever it's called)?

From what I talked to Brelston, a community manager at capcom, at PAX he basically said that UMvc3 was a finished game, and they aren't currently making further expansions/content for the game.

e: And yea, some other guy denied the rumors about Super UMvC3, forget his name.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Generally you don't want to be directly over characters since you set yourself up for right/left mixups, so neutral super jumping teleporters isn't always a good idea. You also have to guess if people will go for an airgrab or an airhit which is pretty hard to predict.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
You just have to get used to the cheap online gimmicks. If you're playing against a teleport+beam team, I've had success beating them by staying on top of them with wolverine's fast normals and hyper sentinel force/bionic arm on reaction.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Argh, Taskmaster!!! I hate you tabs! :argh:

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Tabs is sentinel in real life.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Nothing can stop me when I go into online derpverine mode. :twisted:

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
If you guys weren't playing online you'd be able to grab shuma out of mystic smash every time.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Yea true, but pretty everybody is scary in xfactor 3. Some characters with good normals, like dormammu, can just totally disrespect anything that shuma does, though.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

iPodschun posted:

Some fun things for the Wolverine players here, which is like Dren and me if I ever played against anyone

Yesssssss

I am totally stealing this. My wolvie needs all the tech he can get.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Fun fact: Dante's jam session in fact doesn't reach all the way to the top of the screen. Modok can fly beyond super jump height and not get hit by the lightning even though it clearly should be hitting him.

Also you should look up where people are playing in your area and show up to play at locals, Safety Scissors. Playing offline with other people who play the game a lot really helps you improve your game.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Stanly Coober posted:

Who's a good complimentary anchor/whatever to Tasksmaster/Doom? I've been trying to put together a team for forever and I can't decide who to put in that last spot.

Ammy, strider, magneto, dante, spencer. All great characters who give a lot of utility to doom and task.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Play thor on point. He's actually a really solid character. Charged mighty strikes does wonders against mindless fliers and goes through a lot of the bullshit in the game, air command grab is pretty good and xfactor command grab is a great reversal. However, you have to avoid his ground normals like the plague and mostly go for tridash j.ls instead. You also have to be comfortable with constantly buffering mighty strikes and other specials.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
It depends on what assist you use to pop up the character after a knockdown but you generally want to use as many hits of the l uppercut (3 hits) and then immediately go into fatal claw. This becomes pretty important after the first rep since you need characters as high as possible to continue the loop. Some assists like vergil pop characters pretty high already so you only need to hit them once with the l uppercut before going into fatal claw on the first rep.

It's just a matter of investing time in training mode and getting the hang of buffering the uppercuts before you land.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Modok has some good things going for him, but he's certainly not top tier. He has a fast beam, the longest flight mode (which also allows you to block), and some really tricky setups when he lands a hit, but he has a lot of weaknesses.

He can't upback safely since you can hit him out of the starting animation of flight mode. He has some pretty terrible ground normals and very slow lows. He's also a pretty big target.

I tried using him for a bit for fun, but he really does get poo poo all over by good rush down.

I liked that video though! Modok makes cool combo vids.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Doom is so much better than akuma mainly because doom has far better mobility. His mix-up game is a lot more nuanced than akuma, and he has far more options on incoming characters. He doesn't give a gently caress about push-block and can convert off any throw into death, which is extremely important in this game.

I'm not saying akuma is bad in x-factor by any means, but doom is just so much better in almost every regard.

I will say however that akuma does give doom a hard time if he has the life lead since fireballs are kind of annoying if doom has to get in.

However, they both pale in comparison to the god that is xfactor 3 devil trigger vergil.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
I'll be going to Apex, but all our rooms are full and we're dricing from Boston, sorry.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Seizure Robot posted:

Where do you usually play? I'm unfortunately not going to Apex but I'm in the Boston area regularly playing at Game Underground in Framingham and I'll be going to Winter Brawl, it would be nice to play some more folks from my region.

We've already met, haha. I'm Eduardo.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
So yesterday I went to a tournament in Fall River. There was some pretty good competition from Mass and Rhode Island, around 20 people showed up for marvel. I ended up winning the tournament with wolverine/doom/spencer.

Here is the winners/losers/grand finals set of the tournament: http://www.twitch.tv/gameunderground/b/363366135?t=3h0m0s

I actually managed to land a couple of doom infinites, although I dropped 'em a couple of times.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Use Doom's or Magneto's beam assist to stop Joe from jerkin around throwing vooms.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Like someone mentioned earlier, giving ghost rider some air-to-air options like his wall bounce chain but in the air would make him a lot more relevant. At the moment he can't do poo poo against doom super jump finger lasers. Oh and I guess give him more damage, chip normals, and make his flame breaths worth a drat.

It's a shame since ghost rider is such a fun character but so bad at this game. I love his goofy glitched back dash which you can mash (back + MH).

Also tabs you should chill out a bit about the game, maybe stop playing taskmaster too.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Ha, Sentinel's is easy. Wait till you try cap's or jill's mission 10. There are a lot of bullshit missions in this game.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
A few funny moments from the regional monthly at Game Underground (MA) this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDubGY5zuPo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVXaFXJTqpw

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Still kinda sad you beat me first round at our local monthly, newsburger, making me go 0-2. Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

LordHippoman posted:

So I have this game, but I forgot I bought it until now. Picked it up in an unmarked box at a garage sale. Is there anywhere I can read like a summary of characters, that sort of thing? I'm terrible garbage at fighters (lol what the gently caress is a combo), so any tips would be appreciated.

Try looking up tutorial videos on YouTube and play the mission mode, its the closest thing this game has to a tutorial. Also try looking at movesets for each character and try getting comfortable doing special moves and stuff. Eventually you want to make a team with doom and spam missiles or beam assist and win at marvel!

• Locked thread