Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Great OP, Strider's letter was a :master:

But who's "that kermit the frog looking DUMBASS" in Nova's intro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Way better than the vanilla menu music.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Revitalized posted:

I like the idea of Wright going like "achoo" and then Doc Strange being like "back achoo" with his beam counter hyper.

Anything projectile triggers it right?

Someone needs to check to see if you can use Seven Rings on reaction to Shinku Hadouken. If so, I know how to tear up online.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

God forbid "Dimension Slash" or even "orb super" is a hard name to say or remember.

Or you could just call it like it sounds, i.e. "wuwuwuwuwuwuwuwu".

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Is Lariat assist still good? I've heard reports of it being poo poo and of it being pure bullshit.

AFAIK it's still invincible except on two frames of startup, so if you're good at predicting rushdown I bet Haggar will still be pretty decent.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

One meter in exchange for future 700k combos for free? Yes.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Whoa whoa whoa Iron Fist has super armor on his chi special?!

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Log trap assist might work pretty well with Arthur but you need a "get off me" assist for both of them. Haggar's is still okay, and Frank might work pretty well.

My copy hasn't shipped yet, but I hope it's just because I ordered the release-date shipping on Amazon.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Vengarr posted:

-Guarding hits and having your attacks blocked builds meter...62.5 percent of what the move would normally build, apparently. Was that in vanilla? I can't say that I noticed.

Yeah, it was.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Here's some basic combos for IF, can't tell you if they're any good though.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah, they're named after Fei Long's Rekkaken move(s).

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Definitely the former.

Just try out characters until you find one that really fits your playstyle. It'll surprise you (I never expected to main El Fuerte in SSF4).

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Yes.

Re:Sentinel, I think they only removed the ability to Rocket Punch xx HSF when doing an OTG.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

I should, too. Maybe when I'm not busy with college.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Niddhogg posted:

Great new Arthur tech: Pick Hawkeye

It's actually a brilliant move on Capcom's part: Using Arthur makes the game as hard as Ghosts n' Goblins.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

He's pretty good, actually. I'm convinced he's got an Infinite, but my execution honestly isn't up to it. I'm bad at shoryukens.

... I'm too poor to buy a stick.

Let us know what it is so Nidd or some other guy who's good at execution can try it out!

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

As far as I can tell Lariat is still a really god damned strong assist.

Also his OTG isn't nearly as useless as everyone thought:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyLPO7KNh2c

My Arthur/Haggar team is now officially validated. I mean, drat, 100% combos on near-everyone in the cast in the corner for one meter that builds itself.

And yeah, people act like Lariat got as nerfed as Gustaff Fire, but the fact is it only got invincibility removed for two frames on startup. It was punishable by beams and whatnot anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 18, 2011

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Are Yipes and Clockwork like the Marvel/East Coast version of Gootecks and Mike Ross now?

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Countblanc posted:

If you don't taunt every time you win a ranked match online then I just don't know what to say to you.

Spider-man's is best for this.

"Looooooser!"

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

As long as we're on the subject, how important would you say it is for Strange to set up Graces of Hanna? Should I look for places whenever possible or just pop some up when the opponent's KO'd or something?

Besides using a red one for OTG in the corner, of course.

Also, Dr. Strange and Hawkeye should form a team of people with instant golden supers that kick everyone's rear end. Can't think of a third, though.

That Which Squeaks posted:

Edit; Whoops, wrong thread. Anyway, I will replace the previous message with my though that fighting game streams with camera often look like two dudes jackin it.

careful with that stick

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Frank is supposed to get really long combos, though, so don't feel too bad about it.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

UberChair posted:

Yeah I guess that's cool but let's not forget the real source of the MODOK costume

Unfortunately it's probably the closest we'll get to having either The Captain or Aaron Stack in UMVC3.

I've seen that image about five times now and this is the first time I noticed that the Elvis MODOKs were shooting hamburgers out of their chairs. They better reskin Balloon Bomb or something

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Dante's new arcade mode ending is the best

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

So I played a couple matches online (the lag really is terrible) and I'm enjoying my Frank/Dante/Doom team (affectionately nicknamed "The Fruit Bowl" for its citrus-shaded costumes). Only problem is, I'm having a lot of trouble getting in with level 1 Frank. After I get some shots, I can use the CvS roll to dodge my way in, but until I can get a combo in I get zoned out by pretty much everything. Should I teleport in with Dante then TAC into Frank?

Also, re:stream, I'm happy a big-name player like Jwong is using Iron Fist. I love the character's style and it would be a shame if he were left by the wayside for not having an air game.

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 22, 2011

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Hidden Missiles for the OTG. They work, but Doom takes forever to get them out and he gets caught by beam supers, etc.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

The issue with the THC stuff is getting two bars-Frank's BnB doesn't give enough meter to get the THC out at the start of a match and once it begins it's a lot harder to start one. But if there's some way around it I'll use the beam or switch Doom out for Hawkeye (3x arrows) or Sent (drones).

Edit: Oh, that's what NJ did

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 22, 2011

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Couldn't find the NerdJosh combo but this one could do the trick. Replacing Spencer's assist with Dante's should be easy.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

You should move Hsien-ko to the front so you can use her gold super ASAP and then switch out. She's way, way better as an assist than actually fighting.

It sounds like you're being crossed up by assists. Make sure to block in the direction of your opponent's point character, not their assist.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Try Sentinel with drones. Advanced Sentinel play has fly-unfly stuff but he's a decent character for beginners and the drones will help you get in.

Once you get more experience, try using Doctor Doom, he's good on just about any team.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

My copy of the New Testament came in today and I spent half an hour trying Dante combos. My fingers hurt, but it was worth it.

Should I switch Dante's and Frank's order in my team for Dante/Frank/Doom? TACing in with Frank would make getting to level 3 a lot easier.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

I've really gotten into Firebrand. I really love his mobility options and as an El Fuerte main his awful damage doesn't really bother me. I just need to find a good team for him.

Also, now that I've ordered a TE stick I should be better able to use characters such as Taskmaster who require you to press L+H for useful hypers.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Strider's actually a pretty good anchor because he can chip characters to death with level 3 X-Factor Ourobouros.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Played a couple of ranked matches, allow me to express my feelings through song

(wrote a really, really bad filk here, long story short I got blown up by Novas)

Probably going to switch out Hawkeye, I love him but he's open to everything from midscreen. Maybe I'll join the trenchcoat brigade and bring in Dante?

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 27, 2011

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah, you're probably right.

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 27, 2011

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Vergil works better with more meter, so personally I'd run Hawk/Doom/Vergil. His Rapid Slash should be good for putting the opponent into blockstun for Hawkeye, as well.

What assist are you using for Doom?

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Use Plasma Beam, it'll make things way easier for Haggar.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Vishanti's 11 frames, Gimlet's 8.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

Firebrand stuff

Good to know! I've found that if you hit with DP+H you can hitconfirm by doing the foot dive (d+H) before landing with QCB+L. It wastes a ground bounce but if you're not confident if you're going to follow up worse things could happen.

Firebrand works pretty great as setup for Frank West–One BnB combo into a TAC will get Frank to at least level 3 without much effort, and Firebrand's mixup game is so good that if the TAC fails he has a large number of ways to try again. Not to mention Bon Voyage racks up huge amounts of hits. Still, I wish there were a slightly less luck-based way to do it.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Steve Scott is Yipes-tier good at commentating, my god. He did the impossible and make me appreciate Vergil "Swords of Revealing Light" Sparda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah, I guess that's fair.

• Locked thread