Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Are there any goons around here who might be willing to let me snag Jill/Shuma off their PSN? I didn't even know the DLC were gone until just recently, and I've been really playing this game a ton lately with friends and such.

I just know it's going to bug the hell out of me every time I see those UNKNOWN spots on the roster.

Why did they get taken down anyway? :confused:

e: also if anyone wants to play add me @ Alternian!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

drat how loving stupid do you have to be capcom

how'd they lose it?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

It's kind of funny that Marvel, meanwhile, was just using MVC3 as publicity for some of their upcoming franchises like Hawkeye/Ant-Man, Rocket Raccoon, etc

Can't remember what the exact reason behind Venom's exclusion was (they said he would've been hard to do in 3D anyway), but they did mention Marvel only gave them a "small pool" of characters to pick from (Venom wasn't in it), and certain ones were required, for the sake of early publicity.

e: What would have been smarter, maybe, is putting Jill/Shuma/DLC outfits into a patch so that it just unlocks them for you. They're on-disc DLC so it seems even more unfair that we can't access it. But I guess life's not fair.

Excels fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 1, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ShortThug posted:

I believe you can buy the Vita version of the DLC and it'll cross buy the PS3 version under your downloads.

Just did this and it works. It's probably an oversight-- since Jill and Shuma are still listed as "Fate of Two Worlds" DLC bundled with the Vita versions (which are labeled with Ultimate)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

After 58 consecutive losses online, I finally got my very first win thanks to Chun-Li. I had literally a sliver of health left and had to scrabble to get any hits in but it was worth it.

It almost makes the 58 other matches seem less soul-crushing. Almost!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You might just not be cut out for this game.

I guess sometimes it's just Too Late to get into a game, especially since Doom has an infinite combo that I see everyone using online

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Medullah posted:

Hey I quit playing the game about a year ago because I was terrible and would love to come back and play against other terrible people!

Add me if you want! I'm Alternian on PSN. :)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

VigilantePrime posted:

That wasn't a typo.

Oh. Sorry bro, everything I read is buried under several layers of sarcasm, sometimes I just don't know

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Personally I was very impressed with the effort that went into UMVC3, particularly the strong faithfulness to each character's strengths and weaknesses. I mean competitively it's very unbalanced but they certainly did their research.

I think Phoenix Wright is one of the most interesting gimmick characters in a fighting game I've ever seen. Plus the alt costumes and even the colorswaps are very clever. I like that Phoenix has Godot and Edgeworth colorswaps.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Discount Viscount posted:

And loving Sissel from Ghost Trick, a game which unfortunately didn't sell that well. But they threw that color scheme in there anyway.

Don't forget he can summon Missile!

everyone loves missile

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Mio Bison posted:

Is it? Given the near-total lack of support for Marvel 3 it's remarkable how many characters and compositions still see tournament play. I won't overinterpret Evo but Hawkeye, Storm, Akuma and Shuma showing up in the top 3 of a ~1500 man bracket says a lot. As awful as Zero, Vergil and Doom are they're not so dominant that you have to play those characters to compete. Maybe if more people were playing Chris G's team at Chris G's level but not yet.

I don't follow the MVC3 pros much but based on my experiences online, you would think there were only about 15 characters to pick from!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Also Sissel and Missile were Heroes and Heralds cards. It was cool all of the nods and references to other stuff those modes, character colors, and the stages had.

Does anyone still play H&H? I cannot find a single match in that mode. Probably shouldn't bother anyway, everyone will have all the best cards.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

This is actually a good number for a game like Marvel compare it to most games with huge casts of characters and only a select number are actually viable. MvC2 is a great game and that one's got about under 10 legit viable characters and some of those are assist only.

I played Servbot :colbert:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Marvel executive stands in the voice booth, forcing Dr Strange to do take after take until he properly pronounces "Bolts of Balzac" without giggling

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

BlindNinja posted:

Can I get on the lovely player train? PSN: TheBlindNinja. I'm too scared to go online, since all my friends who were already better than me have stopped playing.

You can add me @ Alternian but I burnt myself out on it for a while and now I'm letting my brother get into it. He picks up these games a lot quicker than me, he was mostly a Soulcal guy before though so MVC is interesting to him.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Nah. Disney's pragmatic enough that they'll eventually let a fourth game be made, particularly if the fighting-game tournament scene persists.

If anything, the scene is expanding in every direction while also intensifying internally. There are some people in the competitive scene who have to be goddamn robots to play as well as they do.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Why don't they just ban Zero and Doctor Doom in competitive play? Every person I see using them does the exact same infinite combos every single match. They don't seem "viable" so much as "completely broken", as in, there is literally no way to counter them other than "don't get hit". Which seems pretty unreasonable even for the best of players.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I just think winning continuously by exploiting a design flaw like Zero's infinite corner loop is boring to watch and can't be terribly exciting to play or comment on. But I wasn't around for MVC2 in its heyday so maybe this is nothing new.

Although I don't know how many fighting games have actually had banned characters, besides Smash Bros, but those games usually have about three or four viable fighters and any pro mains outside of them are stand-outs.

Team variety in Marvel 3, in the higher brackets, is pretty narrow for a game with fifty characters. It's not like it matters since the game'll eventually die out with no patches, but I think in a competitive sense, if Doom and Zero were banned it would at least force people to try some different teams. Those are just the two I see abused most often.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I was at a con this past weekend, and the gaming hall had tons of really cool fighter enthusiasts. There was a guy with a modded piano keyboard that he'd learned to play Marvel with and it was fun playing him even though he was way better than me. He used MODOK on point and he was really good with him. Then one of the event staff came over with his pad and picked Zero, Vergil and Doom and beat the guy over and over and over with the same infinite combos every single match. The very same combos I saw people using at Justin Wong's level, building insane meter and getting Perfects while the commentators said he basically "didn't even get to play" because all three of his characters got locked into the same bullshit one at a time.

I'm not saying it would fix the balance it would just be a lot more interesting without those two or three in particular because they're so utterly predictable and dull.

Excels fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 27, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

That's why I like players like Lythero who, even though they probably wouldn't last against players like ChrisG or Wong, still use mid to lower tier characters because they wanted to play those characters specifically, not just because they're mechanically superior. Joe and Wright are also very fun to watch in action.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I liked that one video where Cyclops came back from like 1 health and wiped out everyone, the commentator lost his poo poo. It was the pinnacle of human spirit.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjzM97rjwOs

this video is pretty fun, some great matches and good comebacks

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Yipes has argued that it's easier to view Marvel 3 as an anime game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

imagine if you could pick the same character three times like in Marvel 2, we'd be seeing nothing but 3 Zeros vs 3 Dooms and it would probably be hilarious

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

If it was an anime game no one would play it except some very dedicated japanese dudes that people would sometimes watch on youtube and be like haha man this game is so loving busted, what is it called?

That was word for word the reaction my Tekkenfriend had when I played Persona 4 Arena with him at a party, and he discovered there was an auto-combo that ended in a super for every character.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

"Marvel 3 is HnK for kids" - Nerdjosh (on his stream), 2014

related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2AobhTzl00

Doctor Doom's spiritual ancestor, that crazy dude on the left.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I think many Marvel fans are honestly still dealing with the fact that Rocket Raccoon is not only a playable fighting game character, but also the star of a big budget Hollywood movie.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

h-hey guys, i heard playstation all-stars got a patch!

ha... ha ha... remember that game??

the dream is dead.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Coca Koala posted:

What really chaps me about Chris G is how whiny and babyish he is. I'm pretty indifferent about Justin, but I think I'd much rather watch Justin Wong win every tournament than see Chris G bitch and moan about poo poo.

ChrisG is also an ugly neckbeard.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

And Justin is an Adonis?

yes

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I made a vid + tutorial if you want to actually have fun in this game for once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPuSwVWHak

This doesn't work on PS3, looks funny though

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

how u do this. what am i missing in that tutorial

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Ixiggle posted:

I thought about this when Bebo first showed how to save edit for the same character, but Galactus is listed somewhere in the character hex values so you can put him on a team now too. And use him online.

Also there's Heroes and Heralds skin Haggar there so those are available through save edit as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDmO04412o

Imagine being the first guy to run into this. Pants-making GBS threads terror.

e: durr

Excels fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 5, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Medullah posted:

So UMVC3 online is now gonna be "officially" dead, since they said they'd never patch it again, right?

There's also the unpleasant factor of Capcom locking the player out of on-disc content by removing the DLC from PSN. To get skins and Jill/Shuma you have to buy the Vita DLC which is mysteriously still available. It's cross-platform so it unlocks the DLC in UMVC3 as well. If you're on Xbox you're just outta luck.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

you could probably just upload a hacked save, or something, that would have everything unlocked? or is that not a thing

codes might possibly work, although the DLC itself is no longer available. i don't know why the Vita version and all accompanying DLC for that one is fine and dandy though.

Excels fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 6, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Putting Megaman into Smash Bros is the last good decision Capcom ever made

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

What is the big deal about Power Stone? I watched the anime at some point in my life and it was nothing special.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I want Capcom to go bankrupt so that during the buyout, Nintendo can legally acquire all of their franchises and salvage what's left of their dignity. Everything by Clover for starters

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I just want the VJ2 and Okami cliffhanger endings to be resolved, is that such a crime, Capcom?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I never owned a Dreamcast. I was a poor child sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

SeaMan still makes me distinctly uncomfortable. Awesome game, just disturbing as gently caress

• Locked thread