Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Crush Rush posted:

ATTN CAPCOM:

You see this poo poo right here? THIS IS NOT OKAY.
Man, I KNEW keeping Wesker in Ultimate would pay off. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Kuvo posted:

I know this was posted at the end of the last thread but holy gently caress Spencer is ridiculous now.
Spencer doesn't need his wallbounce to OTG anymore? :allears:

e: Holy hell Hawkeye's damage output is terrible (from the same guy's Hawkeye videos).

e2: Watching the Taskmaster videos makes me wonder too, is the arrow lift loop still in Ultimate?

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 13, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I sort of like "Maximum Vergil... except not at all like Maximum Spider so what the hell Broken Loose" myself.

e: I propose we call Ragnarok "Maximum Strider" :v:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Merton Blask posted:

I never really understood this - Seth kept going on about how good Jill was, to the point that there was some secret tech so insane that they felt she deserved to be toned down a bit in Ult. But if you've got a character that everyone isn't playing right, who has the potential to be a tourney contender, who you ideally want people to purchase for additional money..

Why not just put out a video of the dev/tester team showing off said tech, or some of her hidden potential? Even in Ult, now that they think they've balanced her, it could only help sales.
Hell, it makes MORE sense now. "Hey guys, here's the crazy secret Jill stuff that was so good we had to patch it out. Good luck finding all the new crazy stuff!"

e: I think I'm going to start using Jon Stewart's NAMBLA joke any time I'm taking about a super. "So when Frank does his shopping cart super, otherwise known as NAMBLA..."

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Niddhogg posted:

Someone find a ROM with Iron Man using his new air dash cancels tia
You mean like this?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

iPodschun posted:

The ones here in San Diego don't, from the times I've checked. They usually get the games a few days later.

Speaking of San Diego, if there's anyone else in the thread besides Rokstar and myself down here there's a midnight release party at the GameStop off of the 15 and Aero Drive (by Fry's Electronics). Viscant and the Box Arena guys will be there, and there's a 16-man tournament. Starts at 8. More info: http://www.thetravelingcircus.net/upcoming-events.html

After this the Box guys are heading to Frubble for casuals until 5am. I will be able to do neither of these things. :/

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, does this mean Viscant is TTC now?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I mean PW gets some pretty heavy gently caress You Normals, but his mobility is just slightly better than Hulk's so I don't really see him opening up a lot of people unless there's some secret crazy poo poo that's out there despite there being no reason to believe there is.

If he could call Maya in turnabout mode that might be something, but even that would be telegraphed to all hell and I don't think he can anyway.

What makes Dark Phoenix so broken is that Phoenix would be an excellent character even without any weird gimmicks.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of speed boost does Strider gain from level 3 x-factor? I have a feeling he'll still be good as an anchor just because he'll be practically untouchable in the hands of someone who knows what he's doing. Sort of like a slightly toned down version of Dark Phoenix without all the having to save meter stuff.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
From what little I was able to play tonight, Nemesis seems like a freaking beast. He's definitely my favorite character of the ones I've tried by far.

And I really really really really REALLY wanted to like Phoenix Wright but he just seems irredeemably terrible. :( Even if you somehow manage to get all 3 pieces of evidence, good luck landing an objection without voodoo magic!

Also a question: What the hell is up with Raccoon's air normals? His j.M has the weirdest loving properties of any move I've ever seen in this game. You pretty much can't use his j.M in a combo, right?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Waterbed posted:

Good, Phoenix Wright is an awful gameplay design and should stay at bottom tier forever. Him and Phoenix should never, ever, ever be good. At all.
What's even sadder is that people like you are the reason why I wanted him to be good. :sigh:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
It's not really that random though, I'd say you have at least a 75% chance of getting good evidence on every try from what I've seen so far.

Maybe I just haven't given him enough of a chance though, apparently press the witness assist becomes absolutely godly if you manage to power him up.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone with the guide or who just knows tell me what Firebrand's luminous body super does? Is it basically just like berserker charge?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So... in Desk's new combo video PW goes from no evidence, to all evidence, to turnabout mode, to level 3, in the same combo.

:stare:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Amazon is pushing back guide orders? They haven't bumped mine yet but it hasn't shipped yet either. :ohdear:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, it's really not that hard at all to get to Frank level 5 in a single combo with a Nemesis THC and a good multi-hitting assist like Chun or Dormammu. As much as I figured he'd be the lamest character in the roster by far before the game came out, Frank may actually be my favorite character right now.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Funny that you mention that, because I was practicing with Frank/Nemesis/Dormammu just a little bit ago, trying to get down a Frank combo that builds one bar for the THC. It was surprisingly more difficult than I expected, but I guess that's just how meter gain in general is going to be from here on out.
If you end your first air series with the qcf+H ground bounce move and follow that up with a relaunch, the combo builds a second bar just in time for you to need it. Here's a video I put together of a Frank/Nemesis/Chun combo that does basically the same thing, and I'm assuming Dorm would work the same way although I haven't tried it specifically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAacPnOV_-k

e: I just tried it with Dormammu, and it seems like you should be able to do the same thing to build the one meter with him too, except the timing is a whole lot stricter and you have to use c.H into S during the dark hole because you don't have enough time to get a standing H off. Also dark hole only does 9 hits to legs' 10 and my combo juuuuuuuust barely gets you to level 5, so you may have to play with throwing a few extra hits in there somewhere (and dealing with the extra scaling that results).

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 17, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

canoshiz posted:

It's really easy to come up with Frank combos that build you up to level 4 without THC if you use a proper assist and know the properties of his moves.
I agree with this. I've been looking around at other Youtube videos for other team building ideas and it seems like most of the level 4 meterless combos I see have him spamming that qcf+L move in the air, which doesn't even work except against larger characters. I guess that's a trial mode combo or something, but it's completely impractical (like most trial mode combos).

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

CubsWoo posted:

I'm able to get Frank to level 5 off Frank/Nemesis/Dorm

The picture off of Dark Hole gets you to level 2 (15 hits) and the two pictures during the team super get you to levels 4 and 5. Be sure to mash during the shopping cart part of the team super otherwise you end up ~5 hits short to get to level 5 off of both pictures.

You should be at 15 hits when you OTG into the Dark Hole and at 26 hits before the team super. Second snapshot should be hit 48 and third snapshot hit 50. Does ~707,400 damage.
I didn't realize you could mash a team hyper. That opens up all sorts of stuff, honestly.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Niddhogg posted:

Great new Arthur tech: Pick Hawkeye

Exactly. I know Capcom was trying to stay away from "X is like Y except better in every way" but, welp,

Also, XF3 Hawkeye is every bit as ridiculous as XF3 gold armor Arthur without any of Arthur's mobility problems or gold armor's weaknesses.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I like my Frank team but it's basically impossible to get any practice with it online because Frank depends on landing long combos and good luck doing that with any consistency at all online even on a 5 bar connection! I'm also probably going to drop Chun for Dormammu because his assist can be used in a level build combo the exact same way and is better all-purpose, plus I at least have a bit of an idea what the hell I'm doing with Dormammu on point, unlike Chun where I just sort of jump around like a retard and spam airdashes and hope for the best.

So I'm probably going to make like everyone else and pick up a keepaway team to use online. Right now I'm thinking something like Ghost Rider/Strange/Hawkeye.

e: I might do Combofiend's troll team too, Ghost Rider/Sentinel/Hawkeye looked pretty good.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 18, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I am aware of Dr. D's S j.M j.fH DFairdash j.M cr.MHS loop, but that poo poo is hard. I have his corner combos down no problem and I need to learn that midscreen one eventually, but in the interim are there any midscreen combos that are easier than the above loop but more damaging than c.LMHSj.MMfHhyper?
c.M c.H S sj.MM sj.f+H xx addf sj.M land c.M H xx sphere flame is what I use, though if you're having trouble with the air dash that may not help much. Make sure you're doing the air combo part as soon as possible.

e: Did they improve the arcade mode AI? I'm pretty sure the CPU Doom did something really close to the Buktooth on me the other night.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 18, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Chocolate America posted:

Yeah that definitely was not in the command list. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Anyone know what Strange's THC hyper is? I'll be honest that one of the things keeping Vergil on my team right now is that the Wesker/Vergil/Strider THC with mashing does some incredible damage.
I would assume it's the pillar for all three assists, since his other two are a counter and a cinematic.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Buhbuhj posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=258pKWIPOEQ

Here's some Firebrand for you!
That last loop looks almost as hilarious as Felicia's XF3 infinite.

e:

Jmcrofts posted:

You can get 3 launches if you do:

ground combo-> launch, bbc down+c, then do qcb+a to land.
Launch again, bbc xx surfboard move,
launch one last time, c, s, otg super.
Personally I like just doing H straight into super in the air after the second relaunch, I feel like it's easier to do and I think the super actually connects for more hits that way so the difference in damage is negligible.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 19, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Revitalized posted:

Team Not Really Mega Men
I want a Rush alt for Amaterasu.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dias posted:

I'm gonna say something and I wanna see if you people agree: you can actually get pretty decent at MvC3 just laboring in training mode, but I can't see that happening with SF4. I feel like this game is more about mixup tricks and proactivity after getting a hit, while AE requires a lot more of matchup knowledge, which is something you can't get just from training mode. I dunno, just had this in my mind and decided to put it out there.
I disagree in that I don't think you can get very far in either game just with training mode tech. I'm the world's biggest training mode warrior in MVC3, and any time I play other people I get absolutely destroyed because training mode doesn't teach you to use setups or defense or how to open people up or just about anything else that makes you successful against other people aside from just not dropping combos. I know you can use the training dummy options to replicate some of that, but it's still not the same as actually playing another person.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Razeam posted:

Damage is scaled per move based on the type of attack and current number of hits, so starting with a light attack doesn't hurt the entire combo.
All attacks get scaled the same, but doing a bunch of light attacks at the beginning of a combo still hurts because scaling drops off pretty significantly pretty fast so you want to get those damaging hits in early while they still hurt (comparatively speaking).

For a really oversimplified example, do a basic LMHS j.MMHS and then MHS j.MMHS and take a look at the damage difference.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Nate405 posted:

Are people finding the double foot-dive loop to be easier than Buktooth? I can hit the Buktooth loop pretty consistently but I'm having trouble with the double foot-dive loop even in training mode.
I can do the first part of Buktooth pretty easily (and then I usually just end it with a combo into sphere flame on the ground because my execution is rear end) and I'm just completely mystified by this new thing. I have no idea how people do it at all, let alone consistently.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Tetrakarn posted:

On a doom-related note, can anyone tell me the functional difference between hard kick and his launcher? Honestly, Hard Kick just feels like its there to screw my combos up and do nothing that the launcher cant do.
To add to what other people have already said, there are a couple people that for whatever reason H OTG to S doesn't work for a relaunch but H to hard kick does.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Double Monocle posted:

So been playing with a buddy, and i have ironed out 2/3rds of my team.

Running purple willy wonka wesker as my point otg assist, hawkeye triple arrow as my 2nd. My problem is my 3rd. I really have no idea what I should play as my 3rd

Any suggestions?
My suggestion would be a "get off me" assist for Hawkeye. Ryu/Akuma tatsu would be good, Haggar is still pretty good, not many people seem to think this way but I think Doom rocks is good in that situation, etc.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Doorselfin posted:

I'm thinking of constructing an "Eat it" team with Ghost Rider ("EAT CHAIN!"), Chris ("EAT LEAD!") and Tron ("IT'S LUNCHTIME!")

Who else makes people eat things?
Frank throws pies, does that count?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fun posted:

Same.

I've gone 2-2 in ranked and all 4 games have been so laggy that it's just luck as to who wins/loses.
Same. Half the time even when I get a 5-bar connection I end up playing underwater. It's really frustrating.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Waverhouse posted:

I've had a very good online experience so far, with only one or two games being unplayable due to lag. I don't play offline much though because none of my friends play and I haven't gotten into the local scene. It could be possible that some of my blocks are not being registered though...which may explain some things...

Speaking of blocking, when Vergil does his samurai style forward dash with the blade slashes covering the floor, when does he actually move to the other side? I'm having trouble figuring out when to block in the other direction, and just trouble figuring out that I should block in the other direction when he does it.
You can just block for the cross-up through the whole move, can't you?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is Captain America easy to pick up, and is he worth using on point?
Captain America is to this game as Ryu is to Street Fighter, if you're completely new to Marvel games he's pretty good for figuring out how everything works because he's fairly well rounded and plays straightforward-ish.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Wolverine's trial 9 is nutty. A character just shouldn't be able to do all of that. :colbert:

His trial 10 is the berserker charge air loop. Whoever made the ultimate trials definitely watched a lot of combo videos between vanilla and ultimate.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Micgael posted:

I'm not a sentinel player but!

You could try DHCing plasma storm into a whiff of his backwards super and then snapping a picture of those hits. Mashed out its quite a few hits, I think.

I can't remember, does plasma storm cause hard knockdown? My concern with that would be that they could tech out of it.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Chipp Zanuff posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qdhAZ7E6GA

So yeah...

Is this actually real or is Maximillian just bsing?

I'm erring on the side of him trolling.

Really dude?

It's sad, I would pay actual money for this.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Hey all, I have a code for the strider/doom/sent/akuma costume pack for the PS3 version. Please only use it if you intend on maining one or more of these characters, I want these doll costumes going to a good home!
Congrats, some unregistered pubbie took that code within 6 nanoseconds and your goonerocity was all for naught :smuggo:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The Rokstar posted:

I can't remember, does plasma storm cause hard knockdown? My concern with that would be that they could tech out of it.
Kind of an old post but I tested this the other night and plasma storm causes soft knockdown, and not only that but if you DHC from plasma storm into tools of survival in the hopes that it will whiff and you can get a picture out of it, tools of survival hits after plasma storm no matter when you DHC out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
One time I was getting bodied by a guy and I reset the console, does that count

• Locked thread