Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
I've been playing for the last couple of days, and, as everyone I've played with in the past can attest to, I'm pretty bad.

I've settled on Nova/X/Strider for now with Doom being the obvious second there. I know not everyone has their hands on the game yet, but I just can't figure out a good second. I've tried Frank for shopping cart/level 3-4 combo attempts, but TACing isn't reliable enough for that and Frank has a hard time opening people up with the strider assist I've found since there's only the one hit so his roll can't cross up.

So, I'm rather stumped as to what'd give my team some synergy. My inner chen says to take Felicia for her rolling buckler assist since hit block or miss it makes air human rocket punch pretty safe while at the same time setting them up for a follow up combo on hit.

Anyone have any other ideas that I can flail uselessly around with? :shobon:

Keep in mind I have no scene here and I play online :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

It was shown that you could otg his camera into hyper so I assume it's possible.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

You're missing that you have to be in turnabout mode already for order in the court to come out I believe.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I meant trial :shobon:

Can you switch back to investigation mode after being in trial? I haven't even touched him. I could probably check but eh...

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I just figured it was fairly linear aside from the timer on turnabout. Well, good to know.

The only thing I know for sure about phoenix wright is that his god damned sneeze attack is annoying as hell due to it being a projectile based melee attack so it's got all the priority of a zero saber based attack.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm hoping Hulk says something ridiculous like SQUIRREL for Rocket Raccoon.

Uh, he says chipmunk actually.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Niddhogg posted:

Can Iron Fist combo off an air throw?

Yes but the timing is very very very strict. They get up too quick if he does it high in the air, but his forward air throw throws them straight to the ground in front of him.

If you're lucky to get the otg rekka into launcher though it's a full combo.

actually rekka otg rekka low rekka dragon fang is prob the easiest.

Dosvidanya fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 14, 2011

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

If you have an OTG, strider's assist is great versus jumpers. It also comes out just after nova's moves cast time (cent arts/rocket punch) so it can pretty much make them safe.

Strider is also a pretty good anchor for a scrub like me since xfactor/lvl3 chip damage and constant mixup :shobon: I'm rear end at getting his extended combos though and legion is probably the worst level 1 in the game.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

qcf ABC (S after 2 rekkas)

qcb ABC (S after 2 rekkas)

he has 8 rekkas + 3 chi moves.

Anyway, here's the bad thing about Iron Fist:

His rekka launcher isn't an actual launcher. His actual launcher will not hit people OTG but it will not also hit people in the air.

So this means that you can't ABCS sjMMHS otg rekka chain into dragon fang and pick them up for a relaunch with MHS or M rekka series.

It also makes his comboing after a wall bounce difficult since they're midair.

It makes l.LMHS not work since H puts them into an air state lol.

Dosvidanya fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 14, 2011

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Fellblade posted:

As for the guy talking about Iron Fist combos, I heard his up kick command normal thing was cancellable so maybe he will get a ground loop instead of doing a launcher into air magic series?

It can cancel into another rekka which is where the issues crop up once more!

QCF M or H will knock them away after QCB H

the only thing you can really do after QCB H is the dragon fang/dragon shoulder charge thing (qcb/qcf s) after doing another rekka before it.

He's either going to need assists or some weird technology to loop rekkas into one another. You only get one dragon fang/shoulder charge per combo since it wall bounces. He doesn't have a ground bounce afaik.

chumbler posted:

I've been wondering about something regarding Strider since looking at the guide preview. He can otg with both the orb and his slide, but the slide otg requires an assist to continue the combo. Is there every any reason you might want to choose the slide otg? I guess it might be faster, but the timing on the orb doesn't seem that bad. Maybe you could do something like slide otg, assist holds them and you do a gram wall bounce into a longer combo? Seems like hit stun deterioration would kill that, though.

Orb otg is way easier. Slide can't be cancelled and it would mean that strider would be second or first on your team, which would be kind of off since he's both a really good anchor and a really good assist. You can call orb and launch it at a dude on the ground but that's tricky for my dumb hands. The only issue with the orb is that sometimes they recover before you can get off another attack. You can actually cheese that by stepping back a little bit so the frames of the orb launch recover and then you can continue the combo.

Dosvidanya fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 14, 2011

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Some other iron fist things:

His defense chi is pretty substantial. It turns a 570k damage combo into a 432k damage combo.

His attack chi turns a 570k combo into near 700k.

Oh, and they run out. They don't last forever as purported in the preview videos as far as i remember.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Zaa Boogie posted:

Yeah, this is probably because I've played DMC3 to death but Vergil's japanese voice just doesn't work for me.

Frank on the other hand...

Love his original voice but his japanese one is Takamura Mamoru! (Ippo represent, yo). So I'm conflicted on which one to use. :ohdear:

Frank's japanese voice owns.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Hey just in case people are looking to use Nova tomorrow I'm gonna post some scrub observations :c00l:

First: everything he does is unsafe. everything.

Second: you can make it safe using grav barrier and jav attack and then do the move, or better, use an assist.

Third: the only move of his that you can make "safe" by itself is human rocket punch M or H mid air as they will go through blocking opponents if they aren't in the corner.

Fourth: it's really easy to get 600-700k with him one bar.

Fifth: It's really annoying how hard it is to pick up opponents with F+H after hitting them with air.S. Basically, if Air S only hits them once or twice, don't bother, just otg into super with DPM L.

Sixth: you can pick up your opponent with strider's assist from almost everywhere with DPM L into super, but if you're half screen away or so you can dash F+H into full combo.

Seventh: can't seem to figure out any tech other than his basic combo. Most of his moves have insane startup and recovery so using them in combo is unadvisable. You can get a QCF L in there with red health for a wall bounce or a QCB L for more hits but no follow up after the QCB L (unless you count super)

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I'll check~

Eighth: you can't dash cancel his air normals at all :(

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

You can't flight cancel his specials...

you can flight cancel his normals.

Holy poo poo this makes slide safe. He literally appears mid air if you cancel slide into flight.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Callick posted:

Can you do like Magneto and dash cancel his air normals while in flight mode?

Nope :(

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkDih50_Kbg

Here's video of nova slide cancel so you can see why I'm like dayum.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

anyway, did some testing and

c.mhs sj.mmhs dpm l dpm 2xattacks does 625kish

c.mhs sj mmh fly mmhs (s cancels flight automatically) dpm l dpm 2xattacks does 650kish.

Note that that's off the slide which can be immediately canceled if it's blocked.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

He also has some thor poo poo going on in that he can't air dash during his flight but if you sj, fly to the top of the ceiling, he can air dash while in flight.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I'm not good at the game and assists deteriorate his combos a lot. He doesn't need assists for damage, he needs them to get in :shobon:

Just throwing in frank's cart assist at the beginning plunks it down to 430k.

Dren posted:

If the opponent blocks the slide and you cancel to flight can you overhead them before they leave blockstun or at least get a frame trap?

I wouldn't say flight canceling makes the slide safe since you can't block while flying. Is his j.S an overhead and is the slide a low? Is slide xx flight into j.S a mixup?

Whenever I say safe, I mean "safe" in quotes. S takes a little long to come out from flight and nova mirror match (with other nova crouching) none of the attacks hit.

Essentially you have to cancel flight immediately to drop and do it or have a lock down assist.

Dosvidanya fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 14, 2011

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

cmhs air mmhs frank assist otg dpm l deteriorates the combo too much so you can't hit them after the cart.

cmhs air mmhs F+H s lets you tac for a little while.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I just want to confirm that online is pretty good. Not AH3 good or GGPO good, but feasible. Unlike the abomination that came before :aaa:

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Raccoon is going to be tricky. I don't know about your general skill level in fighting games but he doesn't seem beginner friendly for anything other than spamming traps.

I can't really see the synergy of your teams at first glance though :(

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Not only that but those characters have some of the lowest health in the game so being new and all, one combo could take out each.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

So apparently you can follow up human rocket punch l midair in flight mode

cmhs mmhflymmh rocket punch l lmh works but s misses :(

Vengarr posted:

Jailbait...Tron?

She got nerfed into the turf, give someone else a chance.

x23 is who he means I think ;)

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Well now, nova has a full screen corner carry from corner to corner.

any launcher, mmh qcb m mash s. bam.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Here is video of wall to wall nova:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-YfL3N3mtY

just a note: it's not mashed. and i don't do the fly cancel mmh in this because it causes the qcb m to miss :(

Dosvidanya fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 15, 2011

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

The most I can do meterless with firebrand atm is 370k :(

He has a cool aerial trick he can use to keep a combo going though:

Dive kick, demon elevator L/whiff S. Basically it gives him a ground bounce he can combo after. It's easier to pick them up with demon elevator L but S also drops him to the ground.

It basically makes cHS sjMMH qcf standing s sjmmh d.h qcb l s sjmmhs possible and it looks cool.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

cams posted:

Anyone got Nova combos? I'm getting 650K starting from standing with one meter, but only around 550K from his air S with one meter, and I KNOW you can get more off that.

No, 650k is about the optimum for him with one meter no assists :shobon:

Unless you count sentinel specific combos lol.

Start with Jumping H into MH for better damage scaling I think but 650-730kish is basically his upper limit solo unless new tech is found/demonstrated.

Dosvidanya fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 15, 2011

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Chocolate America posted:

Yeah I've tried him on point and on anchor and while he can be a decent battery he works way better as an anchor due to low health and his need for meter, especially 3 bars for Ouroboros. L3XF + Ouroboros is hilariously vicious and nearly unblockable when combined with his teleports. He's also twice as fast.

The basic gameplan with him is harassment and rushdown and mixups. With his robot dogs and birds you can lock people in a corner, especially when paired with good assists. You should be teleporting and doing mixups with him because he has tons of mixup options and he's fast so he's hard to block.

On an unrelated note I want to say that I'm currently playing Wesker/Vergil/Strider and I'm using Ame-no-Makuro or whatever the dashing sword slash is for Strider's assist, and Rapid Slash for Vergil's assist, which means their THC hypers are robot rush and million blades or whatever it's called, and those combined with Maximum Wesker and some mashing create one of the most damaging THC's I've ever seen off an OTG Wesker gunshot.

OK now I have a question: What do I do with Vergil? I'm having trouble adjusting to his play style and I really don't have much of a gameplan with him. His teleports aren't really teleports because he can be hit out of them and his normals are slow as gently caress. How should I be getting in on people? What should I do when I do? I have Wesker's assist set to OTG gunshot but I'm having trouble figuring out my best options after I air combo and OTG. Can someone give me some good pointers or link me some videos?

I don't play vergil but strider teleport assist is probably better for him because it makes your enemy afraid to jump and that lets you cross up with teleports/blade dash easier imo.

Plus if they do jump and get hit, free otg combo (I think verg has an otg right)

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

The only hyper frank gets in THC is the shopping cart which is about mid length but yea inferno lasts longer than it.

It's the reason people are saying use nemesis as well. When you're done carting him, nem is on the third rocket I think and you can take a picture.

Dante's million dollars also lasts forever and you can take like two pictures during it I think lol.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

infinite99 posted:

Runnin' Sets with Combofiend and Marn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdJkEEhhPSM

I can pretty much tell it's 5-0 already because the vid length is 17 minutes lol.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I got mine at a barnes and noble of all places.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

In store. Probably could order it online from them, but I was just surprised when I checked since best buy/gamestop/fye/etc didn't have any and there it was, a book in a book store.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

kaujot posted:

You would be very wrong.

v:shobon:v Not my fault Combofiend can't close out strong.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Haggar/Hawkeye with poison arrow assist might do a ton of damage with Doom helping him get in.

You can follow up foot dive with doom mid air with an air dash (I don't think you can do it with S) so basically midscreen it's...

mhs sjmm f+h air dash mm land ms I believe. I'm not too sure.

Guide says (lmhs or c.lmhs) m (2 hits) f+h airdash down towards m (2 hits) land cmhs relaunch repeat

Dosvidanya fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 18, 2011

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Cinroth posted:

Sorry that's about the extent of my day 1 Vergil tech!!
It's like day+3 man, stop being from Europe ;)

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Millions posted:

Can C. Viper's EX Thunder Knuckle be cancelled into a L Seismo? I'm having difficulties with the input, I keep pulling off an EX Seismo instead of an L one.

I think her ex moves are only super cancelable or something.

EX thunder is supposed to crumble though so do it after?

guide says only cancelable to EX or hyper.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

I wouldn't go that far, Vergil and Hawkeye do exist.

So does Nova ;)

Cat Machine posted:

Ahahaha they gave Ryu a new ending, sweet

Is it another megaman troll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Just pick doom, aka better iron man.

• Locked thread