Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Can we go back to protips on reliably doing the DP motion? I don't quite "get it" yet.

Also, as I have the game early, I'd be happy to help people answer any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone on the 360 up for some casual games? Gt: dorkasaurus rex

Also, I'm having a world of trouble trying to do Frank's Hammer Throw. When am I charging and for how long? Does that just mean to hold the stick back? I always end up throwing a pie instead. Also, does the camera OTG or do I need to hit them off the ground first for it to connect? I can never hit it after his shopping cart hyper like some people seem to.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

What are Nova's OTG options? I can't seem to get the timing on his forward H right.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Are there going to be DLC characters?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

InnercityGriot posted:

The dude from Asura's Wrath, Samunosuke from Onimusha, Vanessa Schneider from PN03, and anybody from Power Stone are the closest I can think of.

Do they have Rival Schools characters?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

What's the best way for Nova to get in? I usually use him as an anchor and it's been really hard for me to get that first hit in, generally.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

What's a good fight stick for the PS3?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Robolizard! posted:

high end:
Hori Real Arcade Pro V3 SA (usually around $130)
Madcatz TE ($150 but the madcatz store has deals often)
Eightarc ps3 ebony ($125, http://eightarc.com/ps3-ebony - they also do a ps3+xbox 360 for 185)

low end:
WWE All Stars Brawl Stick ($50, parts are easily replaceable if you want to upgrade it later)
Hori Fighting Stick v3 ($60, stick is easily replaceable with a sanwa if you want to do that)

Wow. Literally all of these are sold out on Amazon completely. is this normal, or did fighting games just take off all of a sudden?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Maybe it's just cause I'm abysmal at this game, but I cannot get the timing right on Nova's forward + H to hit at all. I can do Centurion Rush L almost every time, but I don't think you can relaunch over that. When exactly should I be doing the f+h? Also, I saw a few fancy combos with the Energy Javelin and air combos featuring Human Rocket Punch (whatever QCB + L/M/H is called, not listed in the command list) and are those just really specific to where the character is on the screen? It seems impossible to combo into those in the air except at very specific times.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Nova's a pretty amazing character but he's pretty complicated, and that red health thing kind of nerfs/balances him (but only because I'm a bad enough player to all but guarantee that I will immediately get red health upon entering a match). I really like how he plays and is a really fun addition to my team

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Blinn posted:

Valuable lessons like how to boxjump H and pushblock low M??

Anyway dorkasaurus I recommend you check out this guy on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jhvidst he's got lots of good tech and combos

This is one I'd recommend by him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5i53-BvmLc

Also this one by some other guy is about resets/air throw setups, really good stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6sV8owK5w

I love how Nova has easymode combos off of ground throws on his own.. why can't my other characters do that?

Those are loving awesome. My wrist hurts from practicing combos but I got the guide off Amazon so hopefully that will help me unleash the latent scrub powers contained within me.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone up for some casuals on the PSN? My ID is dorkasaurus_rex

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Bosushi! posted:

Good games, man. I could hear you through speaking but I don't have a headset because I'm still in the stone age.

Wish the lag wasn't so bad. I know I was dropping combos due to it and I could tell you were too.

I'll go ahead and add you while I'm at it. (Praetor51)

drat, that was a really good back and forth. It felt really even the whole time, at least to me. And holy poo poo, Ghost Rider can do a ton of damage with some fairly simple stuff.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone got any good Morrigan UMVC3 tech? I'm still rocking and rolling with my vanilla MVC3 combos and getting bodied, but some advice on how to spam her meter-stealing Soul Fist and take advantage of her slightly easier flight cancelling would be greatly appreciated.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

InnercityGriot posted:

First of all, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odpYVLb0pBc&feature=player_embedded!

Dieminion running that Dark Morrigan anchor. Basically, his plan is to spam the poo poo out of the meter building assist she has, which is actually a lot safer to call out than Ammy's. He leaves her last so she gets the X-Factor boost for her pretty bad damage. Her physical damage is still rear end, so what you'll see if you watch a lot of the later matches in the tournament is just a war of attrition where eventually Morrigan just chips you out with Astral Vision fireballs.

A lot of people were saying that despite her buffs, the air dash nerf was going to rape her, but unless you're blindly going in with drill kick every second, she should probably be played as a keep away character. I actually think that indirectly, the air dash nerf helped her keep away game, because now she can just fly upwards in astral vision and make the game into a Touhou shooter, and with the weakened air mobility, it's hard for the opponent to really punish her for it, unless you have someone with an instant hit everywhere super.

I haven't really seen anyone incorporating the meter stealing fireball, to be honest, but the flight cancelling makes it easier for her to get around and fly away.

I play a pretty heavily melee-oriented Morrigan but this is some helpful stuff. Maybe the Astral Vision keepaway stuff is more effective then I give it credit for, but I really like getting that first hit in with Morrigan or air comboing into her Level 3. It's just so satisfying. Has anyone else used Morrigan at tournaments? I feel like this is the first time I've ever seen her used competitively.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Is Captain America easy to pick up, and is he worth using on point?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

Captain America is to this game as Ryu is to Street Fighter, if you're completely new to Marvel games he's pretty good for figuring out how everything works because he's fairly well rounded and plays straightforward-ish.

I'm kind of considering replacing someone on my Morrigan/Nova/Ryu team with him. Maybe dropping Nova as he's a bit execution heavy for a scrub like me?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Holy poo poo, I just got the guide in the mail today and it is MASSIVE. Between this and the new stick I got, I'm in for a very masochistic couple of months with this game.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone got any good videos of Captain America play at a high level? I'm trying to pick him up but I can't get his moves to chain together, I'm confused by which of his LMH charge moves I should use when.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

How do you follow up after Morrigan's forward+H on the ground? It seems you need to be insanely quick with the follow up jump, and i'm not sure what I should be doing to extend the combo/relaunch.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone on the PSN side up for some casuals? PSN: Dorkasaurus_rex

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

One day I'll stop getting blown up so easily. One day...

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

It's so hard to stay calm and hit my combos out against real people. I always freak out and do poo poo too fast and end up messing even simple combos I can hit 100% in practice. Ghost Rider is a pretty tough character for me to go against, all his full screen grabs totally open me up all the time.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

hey guys. I'm in the NY area and I've been thinking about putting together a tournament out of my space, can anyone advise me on how to go about this and/or general tips for running a tournament properly?? I'm thinking $5 entry fee with the winnings split between the top 3.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Is there an archive anywhere?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Are there any good setups for Nova and Frank? Also, how do you make Ryu's ninja mode safe in combos?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone got any links to some hype MvC2 matches from back in the day? It'd be interesting to see high level play in that game as compared to now.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Player 2 posted:

The Neo vs Clockworck money match which you may have already seen but hey, any excuse to watch this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVTdAOb54xI

I think it's fair to say nearly everyone has seen this. Wasn't there a Wednesday Night Fights or something back in the day?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

buff Morrigan

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone wanna pad their X-Box Live wins? I'm playing as Gt: Dorkasaurus Rex if anyone feels like a few matches.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

How the hell do you follow up after Nova's corner Rocket Punch combos? I can never seem to follow up after his Rocket Punch L with the right timing. Also, why does my combo after a forward + H relaunch sometimes let the opposing character tech out?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4O04Ws0ivY

As an aside, check out this guy's Morrigan play. It's kind of inspiring.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Sufficient posted:

Looks like just dive kicks covered by soul fists to me, unless I'm missing something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjMBerADoA

Maximillian liked this clip enough to put in one of his Online Warrior videos but maybe I'm too scrubby to even know what's good or bad play at this point :(

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Is there a "right" way to hold a stick? UMVC3 marks the first game I've ever gone out and bought a stick for and I haven't seen many good people play in real life, so I'm thinking I might be holding it wrong. Is it better to keep it between your fingers in some fashion? I usually just rest my palm on the top of ball. Is this a bad way to go about it?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Hey folks. I'm considering doing a little tournament out my apartment and had some questions. Mainly, just some guidelines and rules to keep things organized and fair, and also maybe any tips on how to get a livestream going.

Has anyone here ever organized a semi-serious home tournament and actually had people show up? I'm in the NY area, by the way, so if anyone is interested in either participating or helping me set it up, you're more than welcome to.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

eSKAObar posted:

This series of articles is more for a large scale tournament, but you can take some ideas from it: http://www.option-select.com/blog/entry/?id=83 http://www.option-select.com/blog/entry/?id=106

I've run some small tournaments with a mix of competitive and non-competitive players and the main tips I can give you are to find out what sort of resources you have at your disposal so you can build around that.

How much money are you willing to spend? Besides payouts for the winners, consider small stuff like chips and drinks. Also consider prep costs such as paper towels and toilet paper and even air fresheners. Clean your bathroom and floors.

What can your friends bring to the table? If you can get some people to bring extra setups and you can guarantee their security, you can have a smoother tournament as well as a casual station so people aren't sitting around. You can also trade your entry fee for a bag of fresh baked goods or whatever.

How much space do you have? Have designated areas for fee collection, bracket inquiries, and your stream station. This is hard in an apartment, but being clear on the setup side of things will keep things looking organized.

How much time do you have? Have a schedule and try to stick to it. http://challonge.com/ is a good resource to help your bracket. Get a big piece of cardboard or butcher paper and draw the bracket on it. You'll get a lot of requests on bracket status. If you have multiple setups (and you should), enforce a no casuals rule so you can keep the tournament running.

Just have fun with it and don't be afraid to lay down the law since it's your place and all. I wouldn't even worry about streaming for your first time since there's a million more things that can go wrong. I would recommend a fake run through in advance so you can see what areas you're lacking.

I have multiple setups but one is vastly different than the other (projector vs. TV), I have one 360 with the game and one PS3 with the game, and I have one stick for the 360, and one stick that works with both. I have lots and lots of snacks anyways (I'm a goon, after all)

I'm mostly concerned about getting people to come. I'll have friends helping me make sure everything not bolted to the floor doesn't get stolen, but I'm not sure how I should get the word out (apart from giving out fliers at Gamestop) especially since the only arcade in town closed up recently (Chinatown fair)

There is this place but I've never been:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/next-level-brooklyn-2#query:next%20level%20arcade

Do you have an email address or something I could reach you at outside of the forums?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

When people are wearing their headphones at tournaments, are they listening to the game audio, or music, or what? Does listening to something on your headphones make a difference or help out in any way?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Welp. I stopped playing for a few months and now I'm going to have to struggle just to get back to my previous level of scrubbiness. This game requires so much practice to be good at :(

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Flying High posted:

If you need someone to play dorkasaurus rex you can practice with me, I am okay at the game and I can help you out with practice also, just sent me a friend request to GT: Zerms

I only have my PS3 set up at the moment but tomorrow I'll have my 360 working here too and I'll gladly take you up on that! I just have to get my 360 stick modded to have an eight way gate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZJZId5ob8U

Saw this neat combo video, hope it hasn't been posted!

• Locked thread