Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Minorities posted:

That's not necessary because MVC3 is a Fisher Price game where a 2 year old can sit down with the game for the first time and be doing Doom infinites on a standard Xbox controller after about 20 to 30 minutes of practice in training mode.

2(.5) reps of a corner loop that needs to be set up? You are a sorcerer of hyperbole, Sir.

Edit:
No one learns TAC infinites and executes consistently with one hour of play to go by.

I miss hype for high-level Marvel 2, but Ultimate is a really good game.

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Alright, hypothetical balance change discussion time. I love this poo poo! Zero's buster cancels should cost 1/3 of a bar, he gets to keep all of his crazy toys but he has to be a bit more conservative about using them. Then Virgil's spiral swords should be swapped with his forward facing ones, so the initial activation gives you the forward swords and you have to spend a second bar to get the spiral; again he keeps most of his tools, they've just gotten a little more pricy to use.

Are you talking about breaking sword loop combos, or can you double-activate fast enough to not drop the combo?

Edit: nevermind, forward swords would still work, right? You are just talking about stopping him from using a single bar to do/break cross-up mixups and assist punishes?

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 20, 2013

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Fereydun posted:

edit: DO SOMETHING ABOUT VAJRA HOLY poo poo I ALMOST FORGOT

There's already good tech for this, it's called "lighting up Strider."

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
The question is, is balancing strictly for pro-level play sufficient? It is obviously important. The public face of the game-high-level streaming and major tournaments-is important for bringing in new players and influencing which characters/teams those players will be attracted to. However, I think it's safe to assume there are more casual Marvel players overall, so it isn't the wisest decision to completely neglect aspects of the game just because they might not be relevant with regards to elite gameplay.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I agree with everything you are all saying. I'm not promoting "ease of approach" or anything like that, more along the lines of viability, which many people have listed as a strength of 3. Then again, as has been said, 3 is lacking in maturity (compared to, say, 10-year-old Marvel 2) in tech development. Maybe the lack of seriousness about the game at top levels means we will never find out if "garbage" characters/teams are truly viable in the right hands. Attention to rebalancing unused characters can spur looking into them with fresh eyes, which I think is good for the long term health of the game. You can't change so much that the game isn't Marvel 3 anymore, as much as I would like the game to be a refreshed Marvel 2 with a greater number of viable characters, but encouraging more Shumas and the like at major tournaments is something many of us would appreciate.

Maybe there will be no patch and we will have to wait for Marvel 4 and start from scratch. That's fine too. Until then we just have to appreciate 3 for what it is. If minor nerfs to Vergil/missiles et al. keep the scene going then I'm happy with that.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I've started running into Galactus players on PSN. The hilarity fades quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Excels posted:

http://youtu.be/tqBZT34zt6g?t=10m25s

This loving Dante combo, holy poo poo

As a pleb who loves this game, but isn't quite on the level, could you please pontificate on what we are seeing here?

LordHippoman posted:

So I have this game, but I forgot I bought it until now. Picked it up in an unmarked box at a garage sale. Is there anywhere I can read like a summary of characters, that sort of thing? I'm terrible garbage at fighters (lol what the gently caress is a combo), so any tips would be appreciated.

Shoryuken.com is good, you might also try looking for the guide (maybe resort to :filez:) e: or get PM.

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 3, 2014

• Locked thread