Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

3. A reshoot of a previous picture that I hosed up for the first ten times.

I need to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm getting into photography after I got a lumix gh6 for xmas last year. I've just been learning basics when I can. I took it to a warhammer 40k tournament a few weeks ago, not to play but to practice taking pictures. (My friend was playing). This is the best one from the batch. The person in the hoodie is my wife :)

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 1, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
That's a great photo.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Thanks! Now I just want to go out and take more photos. No idea of what yet, but I'll figure it out. I think I caught the bug!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

Thanks! Now I just want to go out and take more photos. No idea of what yet, but I'll figure it out. I think I caught the bug!

Just take your camera with you everywhere and photograph what feels right.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it catches your eye it's something worth shooting. Have fun figuring out how to do that so other people like looking at it too, and if you figure out the secret let me know because I suck at it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Thanks! Yesterday, it rained a lot so I took a few quick photos of the tree in front of my house. I tried to capture rain drops, but I didn't have enough time to get the settings just right I think.

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 10, 2023

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

blarzgh posted:

I wish I had a better process - I generally just set out with nothing in particular in mind and just start walking around, taking pictures of what interests me.

The few times I've committed to a subject or a scene, I've been happy with the results but unless it's specifically portraits at a location I basically never have a plan.

Do people usually start with something in mind? A subject, theme, or something else?

I've generally note gone out with much "purpose" when I shoot; but I tend to enjoy shooting a lot of street and architecture sort of stuff. I probably should think about it though; when I'm in a new area I feel like I'm finding a lot and getting a ton of pictures I love but that starts to fall off.

I like the first 2 shots a lot too; I'm a sucker for good architectural details.

I recently moved to Chicago and getting out of a car and not driving everywhere has helped me a lot. It feels a lot easier to just take a camera with me when I go into town.

I've not done much; I guess street is the term for it but I don't know if that's what I'd call it, photography so I've been trying to look for something interesting in people around the city.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just a reminder, PAD is for critique. When you post you should have some form of critique of either your own or others photos included. If you just want to share and have a chill time the low effort, chat, or any of the theme threads are a more appropriate space.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you ever want to do nature stuff in the Chicago region look up Nachusa grasslands. It was my favorite spot to go in under two hours.

Morton Arboretum is good too. And the various forest preserves in dupage (like Blackwell).

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Opals25 posted:

I've generally note gone out with much "purpose" when I shoot; but I tend to enjoy shooting a lot of street and architecture sort of stuff. I probably should think about it though; when I'm in a new area I feel like I'm finding a lot and getting a ton of pictures I love but that starts to fall off.

I like the first 2 shots a lot too; I'm a sucker for good architectural details.

I recently moved to Chicago and getting out of a car and not driving everywhere has helped me a lot. It feels a lot easier to just take a camera with me when I go into town.

I've not done much; I guess street is the term for it but I don't know if that's what I'd call it, photography so I've been trying to look for something interesting in people around the city.

I like these! Good color and composition.

I think this one could be improved by cropping the top and right a bit to remove the concrete. It also doesn't look perfectly level, so you may want to check that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

Thanks! Yesterday, it rained a lot so I took a few quick photos of the tree in front of my house. I tried to capture rain drops, but I didn't have enough time to get the settings just right I think.

I like thee colors in this photo, but I feel a true subject is missing. This photo doesn't direct my eyes anywhere. What do you want me to really look at and feel? These are great backgrounds to amplify the subject of a photo, but they don't do enough for me on their own. Lacking a subject, you could get closer to a leaf with some water on it and really focus on a water droplet, or something like that.

Here's a photo of mine. I watched a youtube video about Saul Leiter's abstract photography and went on a shoot feeling inspired to try working with negative space and reflections.

I'm new to artistically-minded photography, so I'm looking for feedback like: this looks like babby's first creative photo or whether its interesting

blue squares fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 19, 2023

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

blue squares posted:

I like thee colors in this photo, but I feel a true subject is missing. This photo doesn't direct my eyes anywhere. What do you want me to really look at and feel? These are great backgrounds to amplify the subject of a photo, but they don't do enough for me on their own. Lacking a subject, you could get closer to a leaf with some water on it and really focus on a water droplet, or something like that.

Here's a photo of mine. I watched a youtube video about Saul Leiter's abstract photography and went on a shoot feeling inspired to try working with negative space and reflections.

I'm new to artistically-minded photography, so I'm looking for feedback like: this looks like babby's first creative photo or whether its interesting

Very good points and I really liked the video. I'll keep in mind next time it rains and I try again.

I think the third photo is the most interesting. The contrast of the sharp edges of the broken mirror versus the natural and soft edges of the leaves draws my eye. You also have extreme contrast from the bright wall and the dark mirror. Very cool! The other two aren't as interesting to me because I've seen so many reflections in store windows. The first two images could be cropped tighter I think - remove the left white space in the first photo and focus on the bottom four boxes in the second image. Just my thoughts.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

I don't know what I did right in the second photo to make the colors and clarity so much better that in the first. They have the same aperture and shutter speed, and the actual light in the moment didn't change. Can someone help me understand?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are those unprocessed? JPEGs from the camera or a converted raw file?

It looks like either exposure compensation to deal with the addition of the whites in the background or polarization took effect. But if you're sure the settings are identical it can't be either of those.

Maybe a thicker cloud rolled over the sun at the instant the second image was taken.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Auto ISO?
Matrix metering may have picked up the light in the background and under exposed.

When I shoot in the forest I often shoot at -3 or -7 compensation to force this as I think it looks better, the greens get washed out otherwise.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 23, 2023

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Yeah, auto ISO and auto white balance both benefitted from having more of the lovely woods in the background; and the thin, rigid lines of the trunks also just nicely juxtapose the broader, more-organic shapes of the subject.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
thanks everybody, I didn't think past the very basic settings. both pictures are jpeg from the camera. Exposure compensation was the same for both pictures, but ISO changed a bit (2500 vs 3200). I didn't even think about the auto white balance kicking in.

I had exposure compensation slightly negative, I'll try knocking it down further next time I'm out.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

blarzgh posted:

I wish I had a better process - I generally just set out with nothing in particular in mind and just start walking around, taking pictures of what interests me.

The few times I've committed to a subject or a scene, I've been happy with the results but unless it's specifically portraits at a location I basically never have a plan.

Do people usually start with something in mind? A subject, theme, or something else?

When I want to be intentional about making photos outside of a studio, I'll try to stack the odds in my favor as much as I can. This means going out when the light is appropriate and I already have some idea of what looks "good" to me. Then the hunt begins for interesting light, and waiting for subjects and compositions to fit into that light. I always start with light, and work the scene. My keeper rate is about 10%. Getting experience and just going out to shoot without a plan leads to easier shoots in the future, eventually, you'll find a groove. Your shots have interesting scenes, I especially like the stair shot. I think it could use some better light, to give a sense of depth or atmosphere.

I went to a drift event and was happy with these non-car photos:

Race Seat

Tired

Monty Hall Problem

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Light chasing can be paralyzing though. You go out expecting rich warm tones and the clouds burn off or it starts pissing rain and nothing looks "good" because it doesn't match your expectations. Results in you either taking no pictures or deciding you hate all the ones you did take.

So you also gotta be adaptable and recognize what techniques work in all styles of light. It's why I tend to latch onto geometry first, if some subject catches my eye there's probably a reason so I'll figure that out and then worry about light. Take a record shot with the phone and come back some other day when conditions are more suitable.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

xzzy posted:

Light chasing can be paralyzing though. You go out expecting rich warm tones and the clouds burn off or it starts pissing rain and nothing looks "good" because it doesn't match your expectations. Results in you either taking no pictures or deciding you hate all the ones you did take.

So you also gotta be adaptable and recognize what techniques work in all styles of light. It's why I tend to latch onto geometry first, if some subject catches my eye there's probably a reason so I'll figure that out and then worry about light. Take a record shot with the phone and come back some other day when conditions are more suitable.

Valid. I would hope that none of your practices end in consistent disappointment. Taking record shots for revisiting is something I need to do more often.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Dealing with poo poo light is a good skill to have. Imagine being at Tiananmen Square and telling Tank Man to please come back in a few hours.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Taking record shots for revisiting is something I need to do more often.

That's what my cell phone is for, it even geotags the spot! :v:

There's apps that will do sensor size/focal length/aspect ratio simulations too so you can even test out compositions you'd get with the big camera.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

These are probably not most people's cup of tea, but I went nuts with the color curves on this store window because I loved how the texture of the wood made the photos look more like comic book artwork. The first one is the original

R0000345-0 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

R0000345-1 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

R0000345-3 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I think it's cool as poo poo

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I think it's cool as poo poo

Hey, thanks! I appreciate it

Thoughts on this? This is my first attempt at making a picture in this style. I really like it, but I tend to overestimate my work

coffee
by bluesquares, on Flickr

blue squares fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 10, 2023

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

blue squares posted:

Thoughts on this? This is my first attempt at making a picture in this style. I really like it, but I tend to overestimate my work

coffee

Good poo poo, really nailed that Renaissance look to the lighting.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

I don't think I have any criticisms, I think you nailed what you were trying to accomplish; my thoughts would be to ask yourself, "how can I refine the work?" Is that being more deliberate about arrangements or framing the subjects? Can you be more intentional about your narrative?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

blue squares posted:

coffee

That glossy tablecloth is super distracting to me. Overall i like that low key lighting though, it's nice and moody.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks for the feedback!

There's no "photos of cars" thread, I think, so I'll just keep spamming this thread

313A9033 by bluesquares, on Flickr

313A9035 by bluesquares, on Flickr

313A9043 by bluesquares, on Flickr

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

blue squares posted:

coffee

I agree with the above poster that the glossy table cloth is distracting, a matte cloth would let the glossyness of the mug and carafte take center stage in the photo.
The lighting is beautiful and I love the textures.

One of the most beautiful cars ever made, an absolute classic!
That said, while the first photo is technically sound it's also a litte boring. It's a beautiful car, but that's kind of it. The second photo is a more interesting angle, highlighting the beautiful detailing and paint job. I'm biased towards fall leaves, but if you put more emphasis on the leaves gathered on the bumper I would be enraptured.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

Thanks for the feedback!

There's no "photos of cars" thread, I think, so I'll just keep spamming this thread

313A9033 by bluesquares, on Flickr

313A9035 by bluesquares, on Flickr

313A9043 by bluesquares, on Flickr

these are extremely sick I fuckin love it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

these are extremely sick I fuckin love it

Thanks!

I have no idea if this one is good. I had a vision in my head that did not work out, so I played around and edited the poo poo out of this, with 6 total masks to control the exposure

313A0407-3 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

edit: added a new version with a straightened pole and full black at the top and bottom as well

Original: https://imgur.com/wcOsj0y

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 20, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ain't qualified to say if it's good but I think both the wide angle and crop are cool. The b&w conversion doesn't feel overdone to me.

On the square crop I'd probably center the pool of light. And straighten the pole, if you like it tilted that's one thing but if it's an oversight most viewers are gonna want a perfectly vertical pole.. we aren't going to know your intent so it kinda looks like a mistake.

If a simple rotation makes the person look lopsided the straighten tool in LR is insanely good at fixing that stuff.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

I ain't qualified to say if it's good but I think both the wide angle and crop are cool. The b&w conversion doesn't feel overdone to me.

On the square crop I'd probably center the pool of light. And straighten the pole, if you like it tilted that's one thing but if it's an oversight most viewers are gonna want a perfectly vertical pole.. we aren't going to know your intent so it kinda looks like a mistake.

If a simple rotation makes the person look lopsided the straighten tool in LR is insanely good at fixing that stuff.

Thank you! I updated it using your suggestion. Great call

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Would you like to bake a great many cakes?

products by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

(yeah I know they're not all uniform, I was just screwing around and used ms paint to arrange them)

blue squares fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 27, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Andy Warhol estate will be in touch.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I discovered the multiple exposure setting in my camera and how to wiggle it about while shooting

313A1926-2 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A1919-3 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A1918 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

x-posted from the street thread bc i don't know if i know what the definition of "street" photography actually is? this is a photo of the street, but it's not a photo of people on the street going about their business in an artistic way or anything.

speaking of double-exposure, i wound up getting two separate shots that i liked different elements from, so i tried learning how to use photoshop and/or lightroom to combine the two. turns out lightroom (cc) only has the option of turning the two photos into an over-HDR'd brightness bomb, and photoshop (naturally) has the ability to allow for more manual editing, which i'm bad at.

Sunset Blvd by William S, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Drop the two photos into individual layers in Photoshop. Change blending mode on the top photo. Play around with different blending modes until you find something you like.

Stack multiple copies of the same photo and blend them all, adjust opacities, make some tone changes to one or several photos, see how they interact with each other.