Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Turd Nelson posted:

Forest WIP by Jenseales, on Flickr

The fog looks fine to me. Maybe bring out the greens a bit more like in your first photo? My only issue is the tree on the right in the foreground. Not sure if it's the natural bend of the tree, but it's really distracting to me.

This is me not taking pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge just before sunset. I've been informed that I do not take enough pictures of people during trips. Pictures of people are not my thing.

The reflection in the water is too strong, and I'm not sure how to make it less intense. Thinking of turning this into a B&W.

Snapshot. Feel like I could bring her out more in post. As it stands, she just sort of blends in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Kingdom of Sin posted:

The first one is a cool concept and you've achieved the silhouette effect very well. The main thing that stands out to me is that the sky and water are a rather unattractive, flat smog color. I'd be inclined to play with the color balance a little and come up with something more toward the blue side. And what about brightening the midtones up a bit to give the picture more dimension? I don't agree that the reflection on the water is too strong; I think it looks great filtered through the leaves. Also, watch your horizon. It's a little tilted.

I didn't even notice the horizon until you pointed it out. I'll poke around with the background colors and see what I can come up with.

quote:

The second picture is at a really awkward angle and her posture and expression make her look like she doesn't want her picture taken at all. She's also underexposed because the lighting situation kind of sucks with the sun coming in at a low angle behind her like that, which is probably why you feel like she's just blending in. Try to think about how you can work backlighting to your advantage, e.g. a closer shot exposed for her face with the background blown out.

Yeah, she tells me that I should take more pictures of people but doesn't like me taking candid photos of her (which, of course, that is).
There's also the fact that I take multiple shots at once and change stuff, so she never knows whether I'm messing with the settings or taking the shot.
Her face and posture completely encapsulate what she says to me quite often. Guess that's why it stands out to me.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Augmented Dickey posted:

Vessel :eng101:

This is absolutely beautiful! Focus and exposure are spot on, and I feel like the stones in the foreground give the viewer a nice sense of scale.

Just a macro shot to round out the weekend.

I like how the focus gently fades into the background. More focus on the bug would be nice, though. Did you crop this? I wish I could see the whole insect and not have part of his wings and end cut off.

Seattle from Point No Point.

Original:

Color:

B&W:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Niagalack posted:

Interesting photo but you seem to be looking for the exact exposure. You are attempting a couple of tries expecting something will end up good. There is barely any difference between the 3 in my opinion. Is there anything you are trying to tell us in this photo ? I will repeat myself that is one boring sky, why you chose to show us so much sky? If there was an awesome sunset or some action going on in it, I would not say the same thing. But as of it now there nothing going on.

Not sure about conveying any sort of message or such. I liked the driftwood shelter with the city way in the background.
The sky really did/does annoy me. Cursed overcast Washington winters. I cropped out some of it but didn't want to 'smoosh' the picture by taking out too much.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Pope Mobile posted:

I like how the focus gently fades into the background. More focus on the bug would be nice, though. Did you crop this? I wish I could see the whole insect and not have part of his wings and end cut off.

Seattle from Point No Point.

Original:

Color:

B&W:

Quoting myself so it's easier to look at the original vs most recent edit:

I flipped the image and messed with the curves to bring the city out more and make the wood less harsh. Also Messed with the saturation & color levels to try and pull some reds & purples out of the sky.
Getting rid of JPEG artifacts is annoying.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

All of your aerials are outright stunning, but this one is my favorite so far. The sense of scale really plays with your head, and I think that's why it's better shot so tight than wide. The compression really enhances the effect, and getting that detail from that far away makes it just feel massive. This kind of landscape work make for really amazing prints, I hope you get to see some of them on a wall. I probably missed the back story, but where is this and what do you do?

I believe he does something involving helicopters for the Army and is currently in Afghanistan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm going to critique my own photos.

I liked the combo of her look along with all the dirt/dust on her arms & hands. Critiques- the very top of the helmet is cut off. With how close the photo is and the lower 75% her body being cutoff, it almost looks like someone else's hands are messing with the goggles. Not a whole lot I could do about it, I guess, considering I was in the passenger seat and already leaning back.

Just wanted to get a photo of the cat chilling in the grass. Was happy that I got one of the pictures in focus- the manual focus on my camera isn't great, and the auto-focus was having trouble with all the grass. My biggest gripe is the big, blurry leaf on the right side. Wish I'd gotten more cat in the photo, but I was afraid of scaring it off by trying to get closer. Could probably stand to tone down the whites a bit, too.

Purpose was to get any sort of shot of the dolphins swimming around the boat, which was also moving. The line is clearly in the way and my biggest issue. Part of the dolphin's tail is cutoff. Wake getting kicked up from the boat. Their placement feels a bit off. If I managed to get the picture with them more centered, I feel like there would be less wasted space.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's funny that you mention Facebook because that's where all my stuff ends up. That's not to say I'm complacent with my pictures, though.
You hit it with the dolphin photo- we were on a boat out to a snorkeling spot and they showed up. Friends and family eat it up on social media, but the three pictures I got of them were ultimately lacking. Two of dolphins underwater and one of a mother and baby jumping together. With the former, it's cool that the water is clear enough to see them, but other than their distorted bodies, there's nothing but blue ocean. With the latter, they're so far away that 95% of the picture is blue water and blue sky.
When I'm going through my photos, I feel like I'm too close or too far away in a lot of them. I also have trouble doing too much "people I know will find this interesting/cool/whatever" and not actually considering everything that's going on outside or around the frame, or I have trouble deciding what should(n't) be in the shot.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I see what you're saying. I went back through a few of my albums and it's mainly "here is a place we went or thing we saw" along with with photos of random stuff or candid shots. It's really only interesting to the people who were there or know us.
There are some here or there that I think fit outside that bubble, but it's few and far between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

I'm too attached to these photos. I know everyone in these pictures, and people I know that see them love the shots for the same reason.
Family will tell you a blurry piece of poo poo is beautiful because their kid is in it.
There are things I wish were different-
First photo: the snowflake on her lip and above her brow. I have a strong urge to edit that flake on her lip out, because i really love this picture.
Second: I wish that the bottom of the sled was in focus. It's almost like he''s on top of a fruit roll-up.
Third: That goddamn broom. It would, also, have been better if I was on an even plane with them. You can still tell I'm taking the picture from a higher angle.

I think I went heavy on the clarity in post. I hit the vignette slider, too. Thoughts?

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 25, 2018