Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm getting into photography after I got a lumix gh6 for xmas last year. I've just been learning basics when I can. I took it to a warhammer 40k tournament a few weeks ago, not to play but to practice taking pictures. (My friend was playing). This is the best one from the batch. The person in the hoodie is my wife :)

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Thanks! Now I just want to go out and take more photos. No idea of what yet, but I'll figure it out. I think I caught the bug!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Thanks! Yesterday, it rained a lot so I took a few quick photos of the tree in front of my house. I tried to capture rain drops, but I didn't have enough time to get the settings just right I think.

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 10, 2023

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Opals25 posted:

I've generally note gone out with much "purpose" when I shoot; but I tend to enjoy shooting a lot of street and architecture sort of stuff. I probably should think about it though; when I'm in a new area I feel like I'm finding a lot and getting a ton of pictures I love but that starts to fall off.

I like the first 2 shots a lot too; I'm a sucker for good architectural details.

I recently moved to Chicago and getting out of a car and not driving everywhere has helped me a lot. It feels a lot easier to just take a camera with me when I go into town.

I've not done much; I guess street is the term for it but I don't know if that's what I'd call it, photography so I've been trying to look for something interesting in people around the city.

I like these! Good color and composition.

I think this one could be improved by cropping the top and right a bit to remove the concrete. It also doesn't look perfectly level, so you may want to check that.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

blue squares posted:

I like thee colors in this photo, but I feel a true subject is missing. This photo doesn't direct my eyes anywhere. What do you want me to really look at and feel? These are great backgrounds to amplify the subject of a photo, but they don't do enough for me on their own. Lacking a subject, you could get closer to a leaf with some water on it and really focus on a water droplet, or something like that.

Here's a photo of mine. I watched a youtube video about Saul Leiter's abstract photography and went on a shoot feeling inspired to try working with negative space and reflections.

I'm new to artistically-minded photography, so I'm looking for feedback like: this looks like babby's first creative photo or whether its interesting

Very good points and I really liked the video. I'll keep in mind next time it rains and I try again.

I think the third photo is the most interesting. The contrast of the sharp edges of the broken mirror versus the natural and soft edges of the leaves draws my eye. You also have extreme contrast from the bright wall and the dark mirror. Very cool! The other two aren't as interesting to me because I've seen so many reflections in store windows. The first two images could be cropped tighter I think - remove the left white space in the first photo and focus on the bottom four boxes in the second image. Just my thoughts.