Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

TheLastManStanding posted:

This is now an ongoing rather than monthly thread.

This is a great change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I kind of think you should have gone the other way and put more of the trees in. The tree line should be leveled (since it's the horizon) and leaving it would have produced a bit of a framing effect. I'm also not sure how I feel about the path being in the picture. Had there been a vanishing point for it and if it had perfectly split the image diagonally I think it would have been nice, but as it is it seems a bit to dominating without being interesting in any way. Stepping forward to get it out of frame would have put more emphasis on the crosses

I take your point about the sidewalk and the vanishing point and I agree that I probably should have removed it or repositioned it to cut fully across the frame.

For some background, the shot is from the cemetery at Verdun, a WWI battlefield where 300,000 men died. About 130,00 of them have graves, the rest were unidentifiable and are buried together in a massive ossuary. It was a profoundly moving experience to realize that effectively as far as I could see there were graves, nearly all of them from men younger than me, and I was trying to capture that sensation by having the entire frame occupied by crosses, hence my source of frustration with the trees.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

This second one wasn't really planned, but I'd been there before. Since it was sunset and I was already downtown from taking the above shot I figured I'd make the most of my time.

I really love your colors, especially the buildings in the background and the sky. The red/orange and blue/purple are awesome hues and they make the background really interesting where it would otherwise be somewhat dull. My main objection to this shot is that the lights on the ramp or roof or dock in the lower center of the frame coupled with the building in the background make a distracting mash in the center. My eyes keep getting drawn to the brightest spot which isn't really that interesting.