Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Tigertron posted:

Fin whale by Sensitometry, on Flickr

Besides being a bit muddled and out of focus like robertdx said, the bright white light on the skull makes it look like it has a headlight for an eye, and once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it.

I'm really new to actually learning about photography (versus point-and-shooting), but one thing I find helps me in quick judgements is viewing a small version of the photo. Sometimes, I'll have a large image that I think looks good, but when I view it at a smaller size, it'll look muddled. And generally, if it doesn't look good at both sizes, if I really study it I'll find that it's actually not a good picture. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but I've found it to be a pretty good rule of thumb. I guess the smaller size helps your eye see the entire composition better. Does that make sense?

AlienApeBoy posted:

Just to use yours as an example, the timg really highlights how busy the picture is, and makes the brown background in the bottom right stand out much more. At least to my eye.

So this is my attempt at composing a shot and doing some post-processing, rudimentary as it may be:

Snow Day Beer by Retemnav, on Flickr

This was just a shot I took messing around with macro at my parent's farm which I thought turned out nicely:

Bush Hog by Retemnav, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

rio posted:

One thing I think detracts is that you are ever-so-slightly off center, so that the triangles formed by the grass on either side are different shapes and the path looks slightly askew. It'd be better if they either were more similar OR more dissimilar. The closeness of them now makes it seem like you were going for centered and missed slightly?