Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Dread Head posted:

I have not been shooting as much as I used to because I feel my images are lacking, the big problem is I don't know what they are lacking... I am hoping posting in here someone will jolt something because right now I don't really know what to change or what I am doing wrong but I feel like something is not there. I would much rather get a crit of someone hating on an image because that is usually much more informative than "nice photo I love the light!" or something like that.
I think your landscapes might be too literal? I like landscapes a lot and with the last one there's just not much to draw me in. The atmosphere is bleak but not enough so to give it a punch. There's gotta be some kind of visual hook I can grab for a place and view like that, whether it's color/composition/whatever. Some of your bird/frog shots are really great, and I really like this one you took a few years ago. The color is maybe a bit too strong but it's simple and really catches your eye.

I sorta rambled about this in the landscape thread a while ago but I think it might help if you drastically changed your landscape process for a little while. Like use a long telephoto or shoot handheld long exposures or shoot more short/medium distance landscapes or maybe find some human element to incorporate into them. There's not much about the picture you posted to make me pause to look. It's just a rocky sea shore. Almost as if there's no personal touch to it, even if it was technically difficult. There's no vision. Maybe if there was a boat out there and it was processed to make it more odd it would be different? Maybe not though.

Experiment for a while. Don't worry about forcing or thinking yourself into a new level of photography. Change it up, take terrible pictures and experiment your way to something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

They're good. The way the lighting is reminds me of the dioramas you see at science/history museums. Whether they're gimmicky or not I couldn't quite say. I was browsing through Nat Geo's stock photos and I saw one of some primate that reminded me of yours, but less contrast heavy. I don't see wildlife like this often but I don't search for it either. If you're worried about it you can always change your technique in increments instead of scrapping the style.