Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandy Cheddar
Oct 9, 2007

Unfortunately, she dropped her camera, cried, and went back to writing blogs about Ayn Rand and heroin-chic modelling. And also lost a mod challenge.

whaam posted:

I find the first two very uninteresting. The grass is underexposed, the trees tops are cut off and the composition is just a bit off. I think you had a good idea, and if you shot more or less equal sky/building/grass, while framing the trees right, and properly exposing it, it would be a neat photo. That's a lot of ifs though.

The third I like much more than the first, the composition is good and the subject is interesting, but the sky is blown out and the tree is so underexposed it's distracting. The location is great though, if you shot there a bit closer to dawn or dusk and avoided that hard light.

Self critique: I think the shot is fairly strong overall but the glaring problem is the lighthouse is too close to center. I did think of this when composing but it was this or have way too much dark rock in the foreground, and I'm starting learn that imposing dark rocks have done a lot of harm to my photos in the past so I'm avoiding them at all costs. Critique would be welcome.

I personally like the positioning of the lighthouse in this image; however, I'm very new to photography having just picked it up as a new hobby this summer so I have no idea what I'm talking about. I really like the colours thought and the exposure of the light reflecting off the water/against the rocks. I think it's technically a strong photo and, as a beginner, if I took this photograph, I'd be pretty drat pleased with myself. The only weakness for me is that this type of landscape doesn't do a whole lot for on a personal level. If there were something more interesting in the foreground, that would up the ante a bit. But that's coming from someone who gravitates toward portraits so who knows.

Here's my first picture that isn't just a snapshot of my pets or random practicing etc. I thought it owuld be fun to light a hot wheel on fire and have a little lego man staring at the fire. I know next to nothing so I would appreciate criticism on all aspects from exposure, to composition etc. It's a direct ripoff of Slinkachu's miniature concepts so keep in mind that it was just a way for me to practice and create a subject that was slightly more photo-worthy than my 15 year old dog.

DSC_0023 by Jordan M Zephyr E, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandy Cheddar
Oct 9, 2007

Unfortunately, she dropped her camera, cried, and went back to writing blogs about Ayn Rand and heroin-chic modelling. And also lost a mod challenge.

whaam posted:

I think you had the right idea focusing close and tight on these ice formations. They are very interesting and deserve to be the focal point of the image. The problem is the composition just doesn't feel quite right. I've run into things like this a lot where I'll find something really interesting for a focal point, but the landscape itself is full of dull winter colours (dark rocks, sparse brush, snow patches) and I usually fail to make anything of it. Looks like you were in a similar situation here, but you did a better job than I usually end up doing. That being said it still has some of the same pitfalls.

After a brief departure I'm going back to abusing gravy water.

The waterfall photo was a real pain to get. That area is in the Bay of Fundy which has the highest tides in the world. When scouting it on google maps I saw several hundred feet of beach from where the waterfall hits the ground to the ocean. Turns out the satellite image was taken at low tide and when I arrived, the spot I was standing for this shot was under about 8' of water. You can actually see the high tide line where the snow stops at the base of the falls. That's where the water was when I arrived, this is just an hour later. By the time I packed up my gear from this shot and started heading out, that basin in the shot was mud and the falls were mostly splashing down on solid ground. Really crazy tides.

Somehow these didn't get any love or critique. As an amateur, I cannot really give you any constructive criticism. To me, they look perfect. Very pleasing images to look at, love the colours. A++ would look again.

Dandy Cheddar
Oct 9, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

I like the silhouette and the soft, pastel shades in the sky. The foreground is really distracting though. It's too bright/saturated and looks unnatural and really jarring next to the great sky. Plus I can see where you've been brushing and missed parts (the bottom left corner especially.)

Banks Peninsula 4 by euannz, on Flickr

I really like the depth of field in this photo and the composition is nice. The vignette works in this photo - adds a nice dreamy quality to the picture. I'm just a beginner so I can't really provide a great critique for you because I don't really know what I'm looking for. I can say, however, this is pleasing to the eye. The high ISO creates a bit of noise but it doesn't take away from the photo...actually looks kinda subtle and cool. Gives it a vintage feel.

Here's one I did with a friend's band's album cover in mind. While I like some aspects of it and it was fun to paint a cap gun with spray paint, it didn't turn out as well as I hoped.

DSC_0046 by Jordan M Zephyr E, on Flickr