Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Day 9 by David Childers, on Flickr

Fantastic!! You've given me some inspiration to do the same. Wish I had trees in my neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

torgeaux posted:

Cross-posted from the "other" thread.

Beautiful use of the light, slow enough shutter to get the rain, and that model you call a child hit the perfect pose/expression.

The wet pavement and perfect DOF really make this a fantastic picture.

Field behind my house:

tree-in-field3 by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

I'm in the crowd of people that will say I like this. I like it because it's unnatural looking. I've seen a field with a tree about 1,000,000,000,000 times I feel like so this almost cartoon/computer generated look is neat. It's not HDR-glowfest so I'm happy with it.

If you were trying to make it look realistic then you failed hard.

Here's some photos from my vacation:

Sailboat by benisntfunny, on Flickr

Dianie by benisntfunny, on Flickr

View from Chimney Rock by benisntfunny, on Flickr

These are just great. Love all three, with the middle being my fav.

I went back to the field for the tree picture. I think I dig this one the best.

tree-field4 by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

And some random wild flowers:

flower-closeup-night by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

LargeHadron posted:

If I were you I would have messed around more with the exposure layering to get the tree/grass a little brighter. Really nice sky though!

How about this?

tree-in-field5 by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

I like it. Shame about the BMW and the white SUV in the background otherwise it would look like a pretty great retro shot. It's still good though and it was just something I noticed about it. Is there something you can do about the Coca-Cola sign to make it more red rather than purple? It's just a pretty iconic symbol so seeing it in an off-colour just seems weird to me.

Aside from that I like it. It felt a bit too tilted to the right for me but then I got you were keeping the buildings straight and it was just the curvature of the road giving me that impression, so excellent work getting that lined up right.

Congrats, man!

Some snapshots of my cousin's 6 month old baby.

IMG_5378 by Aidan R, on Flickr
Him and his son.

IMG_5385 by Aidan R, on Flickr
God drat I wish this wasn't at 1/25th of a second. It's just a tad blurry. :(

IMG_5406 by Aidan R, on Flickr
With my aunt (the kid's grandmother).

All three are great, and the last one is really sweet. The boy reminds me a little of my youngin'.

owen-hat6 by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008
I tried shooting some cars for the first time this weekend. Not as easy as I thought...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

QPZIL posted:

Only two suggestions:
  • The bouncy house or whatever it is to the left of the car kind of blends in to the frame of the car and is distracting. Not much you can do about it, but maybe should from the other side of the car would have given more isolation?
  • I would crop it down a bit, because the empty space to the right and above the car isn't doing much for me.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Unfortunately there were porta-potties on the other side. You're right about the extra spacing. I'll give it a crop.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008
[quote="atomicthumbs" post="407650225"]

Untitled by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Lady with Dog by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I'm really digging these two. The grain may be a bit overdone for some, but I think it lends well to the whole misty atmosphere. Very well done.

I did some Photoshopping to my car pic. Tried to bring down the bouncy houses and cropped it tighter.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

Wonder what this would look like in B&W... bet it would kick it up a notch.

Speaking of... here's a snapshot of a random hot chick at a festival.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

krackmonkey posted:

It quit raining for a couple of hours today, so I went in search of fall colors

_B040059.jpg by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

_B040118.jpg by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

crimson carpeting by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

I really really dig these. Just great colors and perfect DOF. Last one is my fav.

I did an engagement shoot for some friends. This one is shot at Heaven Hill Bourbon warehouse in Kentucky.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

nielsm posted:

Both of those are "not bad", the first one is in fact quite good. I would adjust the curves in post, myself, to make it brighter but it isn't bad as-is. The second is a pretty run-off-the-mill flower photo, except that it's very obvious that it's an imitation plant.

I agree with nielsm. But, the first one to me is good because it shows JUST enough of the shine and texture of the plant. Not sure if making it brighter would help or hurt the pic. I have similar photo: