Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

INTJ Mastermind posted:

The patch of light works really well. From a lighting perspective, we could use some back-lighting to separate her hair from the leaves of the tree, and to seperate her rear eye from the background. Her brown eye just kind of blends right into the leaves, which is a bit awkward. Your other two pictures look great btw! :)

This was my first attempt at making a black-and-white landscape. Also my first outing with my new 24-105 lens! It was late afternoon, the marine layer had just rolled in, bringing overcast skies and fog. I was trying to capture the Santa Monica Pier as well as the general beach activity. I think the 105 mm perspective really helps to compress the scene and emphasize the pier (which is ~2 miles away at this point.)

Venice-027 by The original David L, on Flickr

The fog really helps this image. Telephoto compression can crush the feeling of depth in a photo like this and make it sort of boring but here some of the depth is preserved by the fog that gradually swallows things up as they fade into the background. The emptiness of the fog in the top-left also serves to counterbalance the busy beach scene in the bottom-right.

You might consider the horizon line of this photo for your flickr or facebook banner. Foggy horizons make excellent skinny, horizontal banners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

I like this one the best of the photos you posted. It's well exposed, well lit, and you captured a nice smile. It's funny that the wide angle distortion makes the baby's hand look enormous. If that wasn't intentional, watch out for it.

Bell tower from the old post office building, right? It feels a bit unbalanced to me. Too much sky. Btw, did you go to the top of it? Great view from up there.

House planet

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

crime fighting hog posted:

First, a bad one:

0509_SNI_PTPioneer5 by Middleshoes, on Flickr

I think what I did wrong was simply not enough exposure. The room was dark and in retrospect I should have focused more on one or two kids instead of trying to catch the group. I think that would have made it stronger with a better point of focus.

What do you mean by "simply not enough exposure"?

What I see wrong there is that you framed a shot with that huge blown out window in the background. In a situation like that you need to either have a fill flash to bring the room up to the level of the giant, bright, distracting window or you need to recompose so that there is no giant, bright, distracting window.

I don't like the eye lines either. The kids are all looking off camera at...? Show us (or at least hint at) what they're looking at. Nothing generates internal structure in a photograph quite like an eye line, we are always interested to see what other people are looking at.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
That metal dude, I think you did a fine job working with the focal lengths you had. Each of those images is well composed, even if you'd have liked to have zoomed more.

What is the deal with the flooding? First I see your photos then this pops up on my reader: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2013/06/flooding_in_europe.html

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

FistLips posted:

How did you do this? It looks cool and I'll like to try something like this too!

The short answer is to shoot a 360 panorama and stitch it as a stereographic projection, pitched 90 degrees. I used a panoramic tripod head but people say you can get it to work without one. There are tutorials available on the web: https://www.google.com/search?q=hugin+planet+tutorial&oq=hugin+planet and here are a smattering of other photos created using this technique: http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?w=1007018%40N22&m=pool&q=planet

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dread Head posted:

I wish that the was higher up and instead of including some of the brick at the bottom I would have rather seen more of the window. I think while the tv reflection is not ideal it is not so over powering that it is the first thing you see.

I like the second one a lot because fog but you've pushed the blue and the green too much in the first one and it comes off looking a bit unnatural.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

xenilk posted:

Love the window light on that one, if you wanted you could have defused it a little bit more so her stomach has the same amount of light than her face but other than that it's fine. Her eyes are gorgeous and the posture is great. I have to agree with the other poster than her right hand is the weak point of that photo since everything else is well posed the right arm just feels out of place. I would say you could have moved it along her body to define the right side of her waist but that's just me.

Editing wise well that's my cup of tea so I'll go ahead and say it was well done. :) It's one of the pictures I wish I had taken.

Here are some of mine....

IMG_5508 by avoyer, on Flickr

img_2585 by avoyer, on Flickr

... and one that's a bit out of my usual style.

IMG_5698 by avoyer, on Flickr

Are you familiar with https://www.flickr.com/photos/itsedsy

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I find that along with working the curves and the basic exposure, a split tone with a bit of orange in the highlights and a bit of blue or purple in the shadows can add some depth to a midday shot's harsh shadows and over saturated colors.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I could just google but... what is agrotourism?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
rio, you forgot to post the shot of the unicorn in that set. I like middle shot the best. It's well composed with regard to the horse, the rainbow and the pond. When I look at it blown up I find myself wishing the people in the background camera left were not there, that there wasn't quite so much clutter in front of the building camera right, and that the flowers in front of the pond weren't there since all of those things distract from the double rainbow and the horse.

The top shot seems to be an effort to reduce all of those distractions (and catch the rainbow reflection in the pond) but it has a really unbalanced feel to it. My eye follows the rainbow up and out of the frame, which is kind of a weird place to have your eye taken, and I only notice the reflection upon second viewing.

The background on the shot of the peafowl is a bit underexposed.

How would people have processed this shot?

I felt that the background in the original was too bright and that it distracted from the subject. I used the radial filter in Lightroom 5 to darken the background around the flower and the bee, then dodged a few petals that didn't quite fall under the radial filter. Then I bumped the overall exposure so that the flower and the bee were brighter because the whole thing had gotten a bit dark.

Here is the original:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Huxley posted:

Second try at posting a couple, with some critiques on my own. (All with an S90, the flowers in macro mode.)

Twist by mattphilpott, on Flickr

I really liked the bend in the tree on the right, but no matter how I shot it I couldn't get it to stand out. Up close it got too abstract, horizontally it got even more lost. This is the best photo of the bunch because of the light, but the light is the subject of the photo, not the neat tree, which was the whole point.

In all of the shots you posted you're suffering from the near infinite dof of a point and shoot. All three of these shots could be improved by isolating the subject with a shallow dof.

This shot with the tree is especially tricky. Taking pictures of trees in a forest is quite difficult. Light and trees in a forest that look interesting in person often appear as an unorganized jumble in a photograph. A shallow dof and a perspective away from the big blown out highlight could have helped your image.

Try firing up photoshop or whatever you use and take a crack at applying a gaussian blur and some burning to the background of those images to help isolate the subjects. It should give you an idea of what's possible.

I like that this shot has a pretty even divide between a warm cast and a cool cast along the bottom left to upper right diagonal. Did you process it this way or did it just happen? I almost feel like you had to have processed it like this because I'm having a hard time imagining what the light would have reflected off of in order to get that color cast.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
In the second shot it would help a lot if the skater were facing the camera.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Oprah Haza posted:

Was there a fireworks moratorium?

I hate that lamppost.

No offense but shots of the actual fireworks themselves are really same-y seen one you've seen them all. The last one you posted is well executed. Nice shape, good color, very clean and isolated.

My favorite fireworks shots are landscapes + fireworks. This guy has some nice ones from DC:

Fireworks on the Potomac by dyoshida, on Flickr

Fireworks of Alexandria by dyoshida, on Flickr

RedWhite n Blue by dyoshida, on Flickr

I also like fireworks shots that incorporate a viewer:

Boom. by rogvon, on Flickr

Sometimes you can get turn around and get shots of the awestruck faces of kids, lit by the fireworks. Those are pretty good too.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Sorry, I'll make sure that its in focus or not before I post it. Better focus is something I'll definitely start working on, making sure that its tight and crispy. I think of all the photos I've posted so far they have been from one of two hikes, and both of those hikes were poor lighting ( I think at least the plane crash metal was at close to half a second shutter speed + an ISO over 800. I'll rapid fire some of the other questions. I'm trying to work more on my close up photography as I think some of my more land-scapey shots are better.

Tripod: Don't have one (also not sure about carrying extra poundage on 6-10 hour hikes (even a few pounds really adds up))
Focus: These have all been manual focus, I only use auto focus on birds cause they don't like sitting around waiting for me to try and get them in focus.

Back button focus: looks like it could be useful. I think part of me had improper training in that, for the commercial photography class, he wanted everything manual focus and AF is "cheating" but maybe he was just a jerk (or trying to tech us how to use the camera). I'm not sure what the real-world views auto-focus as. but this is my camera is the back button focus the AF on the right on that wheel? http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/XS/ZREARTOP.JPG

http://www.adorama.com/BG190CXPRO3.html
http://www.adorama.com/OTTS.html

Expensive but they go on sale sometimes and they're very light. If you get a nice ballhead it might end up weighing half as much as the tripod. If you ever get serious about getting a tripod consider saving up for a nice carbon fiber one because eventually you're going to want it, especially if you hike with it and the weight matters.

AF is not cheating but I could see a product photography class having an emphasis on being able to get manual focus. In product shots if the focus is ever so slightly off it can matter a lot and there's no reason not to manually tweak the focus since the product isn't going anywhere.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

That metal dude posted:

As someone who left DC three years ago I want to personally thank you for these firework pictures. Stunning and well composed, you did a wonderful job incorporating the city. The first two are my absolute favorite and the colors really help set the mood of the overall picture. I am going to use these as my reference point for future firework projects, my last attempts weren't so productive.

Content:

AlteBrücke Panorama by Guitar Abroad, on Flickr

I took this after seeing a picture hanging in a gallery and thinking "I could do that." It's a stitched panorama with single exposures so no HDR going on here, just an HDR effect. This is normally not my style however as I was attempting to mimic the photograph I decided to boost the clarity slider in LR5 further than normal. It's not perfect however I would really like input as to how this particular photo came out.

Thanks but I didn't take them! Just a photog I follow on flickr. I'd like to take fireworks pictures like that too but I usually have some social commitment on the 4th (beer) that prevents it. (Also I probably am not that good).

I'm surprised your photo doesn't have a thousand likes and sparkly great photo gifs attached to it already. It is a fine example of sliders set to max style. The only thing it's missing is some additional sunset light on those clouds.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I am not much of a zootographer, what do you like about those shots you posted? They all have some technical issues that I don't think you intended.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The first one is a bit blurry. I'm guessing it's either the glass between you and the monkey or missed focus. The second one has a huge, obvious reflection. The third one has big blown out areas in the background that I find sort of distracting.

Not to say that any of that stuff is wrong, just pointing it out so you're mindful of it in case it wasn't intentional.

I was asking what you liked about those photos because I figured there had to be something about them that made them the ones you like and I was interested in what that was.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Putrid Grin posted:

The girl seems a bit squished at the bottom of the picture. I would play with the crop to see if you can get a bit more balanced composition.

_DSC6416 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

I am not sure if I like it for what it is or for sheer detail within. Made a 20x30 print of it recently, and its fun let your eyes wander on it. And the color temp seems a bit off, or that might just be me as there are like 3-4 different types of light in that photo. Any ideas?

The picture has a bit of a counterclockwise twist to it that is really bothering me. Part of it is lens distortion, I think, since the lines in the center behave differently from the lines toward the edges.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mr Yuck posted:

I mention the background, because I didn't really notice the trees in the background of this shot, either. It's hard to find open space in Delaware...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDGDgc1qNCA

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Huxley posted:

The cranes were kind of the last thing I noticed about the picture. Like VB said above, it might all be in the style you're shooting for, but the white cranes on white sheets over white wall get a bit lost. Especially since I guess they were dropped over her and shot, they seem a bit out, especially compared to her. If you have a ton of time to set up, maybe consider suspending them so they come out as crisp as the model (again, assuming that's the goal)? You could fishing line them long then sheepshank the line to change heights as you care to. All the hard setup would be in pre and you could still move quickly with the model there.

Or that might be WAY outside the scope of what you want the project to be, in which case I would just suggest more colors in the cranes, especially if you're shooting against white again.

Playing around with filters and post etc etc. I was inspired by someone I stumbled across this past week.

artificial feeding by Toyokazu, on Flickr

But I'm clearly not there yet, missing a step somewhere. (Talent may be that step.)

Parlour 1 by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Parlour 2 by mattphilpott, on Flickr

You haven't toned yours quite the way the inspiration photo is toned. Your blacks aren't crushed far enough, you are missing the bluish haze surrounding the shadows, and your photo doesn't have the blue shadows/golden highlights split toned quality. Your photo also isn't tack sharp and has more depth of field than the inspiration photo (notice how the man in the background of the shop is very visible and noticeable in your shot but the background of the inspiration photo is more nicely blurred out). You might run into problems with yours too because it mixes incandescent lights (the background light) with window light (the key light on the baby's face). The inspiration photo looks like it's all daylight. At the very least it's all one color temperature. All in all, your photo looks a little flat compared to the inspiration image.

When I look at the technical details of the shots the reasons for all of this become apparent. The inspiration image is medium format film and probably shot with a nice, sharp prime lens. All at once that gives it shallow depth of field, great sharpness, and all of the tonality you're after. Your shot was on a Canon S90 which has a comparably tiny sensor (7.44 x 5.58 mm vs the 6" x 7" film in that medium format camera). The tiny sensor means tons of depth of field in anything but macro mode. You've also got a zoom lens which means you aren't getting the sharpness, clarity and contrast that's really making those two little girls pop. And you're shooting digital so you don't get all the tonality of the film.

You can pop over to the post-processing thread if you've got questions about how to mimic that film tone. It's a very common question. I think people usually say you can get there just by playing with lightroom/Photoshop but it can be helpful to be a preset pack like VSCO.

Dren fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 13, 2013

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Skizzzer posted:

I feel uncomfortable walking around people with my camera, I don't know how you guys just take pictures of angry old men and kids and stuff:

Hint: it is not a coincidence that the old man was angry

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

StarkingBarfish posted:

And for some of my own, I'm trying a bit of split toning, based on some discussion in the post-processing thread about this picture:

What do people think of my attempts below? Too instagrammy?

img_0056 by barfish, on Flickr

For this one, I'm annoyed by the light source below the bride's arm, but I'm not sure how I could kill it:

img_0002 by barfish, on Flickr

The split toning in the first one seems very subtle. The second one is less subtle but it's nowhere near over the top. Did you go with yellow highlight/purple shadows for your split toning in both? I think you'd need to go more of a yellow/blue to get tones more like the one in the photo where you are infatuated with the tones. Maybe play with the hue and stuff too. You want the image to end up feeling a little bit washed out so maybe cut the contrast/clarity too. A split tone I kind of like in shots in midday sun is blueish highlights/reddish shadows. Kind of counters the harshness of midday. You could try that on img_0056.

The composition of img_0056 puts the girl a bit too far to the left for me. The composition of img_0002 is too tight for me. There is too much neg space between the couple and they are too close too the edges... it takes a second to see that it's a shot of a couple looking at each other across the crowd and that would be remedied by being zoomed out a tad.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

StarkingBarfish posted:

I'm surprised you find it subtle in the first photo- the original shot was very vibrant, and I found the toning procedure washed it out a lot.

I don't have the original to compare to. What I mean is that it's not hit-you-in-the-face instagram obvious that you split toned it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

grack posted:

The biggest issue as that your model/actor is totally dead weight in terms of body language and expression. He's not really coming across as aggressive.

For example - in the second picture, palms up and wrists showing is an ingrained submissive posture, not aggressive. The aggressive posture would actually be hands down, showing the knuckles. Similarly, in the third picture refusing to make eye contact is a submissive posture, along with keeping the mouth closed. Aggressive would be making direct eye contact (challenge) and showing a little bit of teeth in a sneer (attack).

Seconding this. XTimmy, you said the guy is trying to sell himself as aggressive, and the lighting/setting were great for aggressive, but when I looked at the guy all I thought was "puppy".

Not sure what the subject is here. There's a lot of negative space in the foreground which makes me think maybe you're showing the lack of a second fisherman along with the unattended pole. But the unattended pole is cut off along the right edge of the shot so that's probably not it. I dunno it's sort of jumbled. It'd be an ok shot of just the fisherman if not for the unattended pole.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Huxley posted:

I've cropped this one a dozen different ways and never settled on anything, really. Placing the V dead center felt right enough, but it does push the balance a bit high.

Peek by mattphilpott, on Flickr

If you crop it a bit tighter it makes a nice v for a letters-made-of-things-that-are-not-letters series

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Hydrocodone posted:

I like the second and third but not so much the first, for the same reasons people have brought up. I think the colors are good as vibrant as they are, seeing as it's advertising. The vibrancy is attention-getting and fun. But this last one I think needs more depth of field. I'd like it more if the curls of her hair were all in focus or close to it.

Given the title, I think the lighting and mood achieve what you were aiming for. Makes me feel like it's a calm evening in a country garden. But I want something for my eyes to settle on and I want it to be the blossom aiming almost at the camera, not the two that seem to be in focus, maybe because each of those is somewhat blocked.

I photographed my friend blowing glass for a few hours, after which I realized I'd seen almost exactly what I'd taken a million times before. The photo students at the school have taken photos of the glassblowing students forever. So I'm down on these, but I don't know if they're weak or my eye is calibrated funny.

CX0A8991 by MatthewKSears, on Flickr

CX0A9087 by MatthewKSears, on Flickr

CX0A9492 by MatthewKSears, on Flickr

I feel like you missed a typical angle I expected to see w/ the furnace fire showing,

If you can get them to turn out the lights in there so everything is lit only by the fire/hot glass that would be a bonus. Something where you drag the shutter to capture motion as she spins the glass or something would have been good too.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

iammeandsoareyou posted:

Well here goes for my first attempt at a critique. I like the mood the picture set with the light rays, but I feel like there is not enough separation between the dark background and the dark cross to make the cross pop. I think if you upped the exposure slightly it might pop more. Or if you are good with dodging and burning, dodging the background a bit might make the subject pop more. Also I think that the tree in the bottom right hand corner is a bit distracting.

And here is my first offering for critique. I liked this one because I don't see too many shot of the capitol dome with the lamps in the foreground, which is too bad because i think they are pretty cool structures. Unfortunately I think I cut their bases off at a bad place in an attempt to preserve negative space at the top of the dome.

CapitalWLamps by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

And this one I feel like should work because elements are there, but just doesn't somehow.

Girders by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

What's up back of the capitol buddy? The back is the best view of the capital.

Mine suffers from a blown out sky but oh well, it was just a quick iphone shot. I liked those lamp posts too. I'll have to check my archives to see if I took any with my real camera and how they turned out. I recall trying to get something working with the lampposts in it but not being very happy with the results. Looking at the iphone shot the problem probably was the sun being too high and blowing out a huge section of the sky.

You were at 26mm on your 18-55, could you have gone wider to get the lamp posts, the sky, and the plaza all in the shot? As it is the shot feels like it's been chopped off at the bottom, seeming to scream for a bit more foreground. Something else you might have tried if you'd had a longer telephoto was to back wayyyy down that walkway and try to include the lampposts that way. This guy did that and the results aren't amazing but I think a better shot with the same idea could be pulled off https://www.flickr.com/photos/toshio1/11456831156.

The sky isn't your friend here either. I'm sad to say that the sky in yours is drab and uninspiring.

Are the girders in Georgetown? I think I know that spot. Anyway, I feel like the leafless trees in the background are a distraction from the clean lines of the girders.

edit: and since I am posting poo poo from DC here is a shot from Union Station that I really like

Dren fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 13, 2014

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

iammeandsoareyou posted:

Thanks for everyone's input on the capitol shot. I think the consensus on that one is that the cropping is off and the clouds are distracting. Looking at the files from that day I think I am just going to have to go back and re-shoot it before I transfer out of DC. There is a lot going on back there anyway that I did not get the first time. I like the telephoto idea.

As for the girders, you are correct that is Georgetown and your comment on the trees puts the finger on an element that kept bothering me about where that shot never seemed to come together. I am pretty basic with post-processing, but I might experiment with some removal tools in photoshop and see if I can't get them out.

And I really like that Union Station shot. Honestly the only nitpick that I can come up with is that might be a little stronger if you could shop out the guy who is sitting half way in the wall and maybe the first guy's suitcase. Pretty much everything else in the picture really works for me.

Thanks for the compliment. I looked up the thing I tried with the lamp posts. Basically I just went all wide angle nutjob trying to squeeze them in. I do not recommend it, it looked stupid.

It's unbalanced, the lamp post is getting crushed by the wide angle distortion, there's a dude w/ a suitcase in it because it was just a test shot, that small fence really throws things off... blech. Someone better than me or who spent more time might be able to get it to come out nicer but I think one of the other views would be better. Something else you might try is one like this where you catch the reflection of the dome off of that glass in front of it:

I imagine I was at the edge of where the glass ended, so it may not be possible to get the reflection of the entire dome in the glass. Which is kind of a shame because the shot would work much better for me if the whole dome was reflected. Maybe I wasn't at the edge of the glass though, check it out.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The lighthouse is disconnected from the foreground and tiny. It kind of looks like a toy or a small scale model + a perspective trick. I like the idea of the reflection but the shot would be more effective if the lighthouse had more presence and that might have meant giving up on the reflection.

thetzar posted:

Here's one from me that's also in the portraits thread. As I said there, "I've started playing around with selectively applying color temperature, which I picked up from this guy, who is way better than I am." This was also a quick shoot which reenforced to me just how bad at directing a subject I am. This is a co-worker who I stole five minutes from for the shot. I'm generally introverted, and I find my taking pictures of people to be something of an imposition -- so I try to move as quickly as possible, not bothering to give much direction or try too many things. This is something I know I need to work on. The results of this shoot were a dozen exposures that were all -almost- there. If I had taken more time then, I think I could have gotten better results and more engagement from my model.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

You went much more subtle with the different color temperature of light for your subject than the guy who you cite as your inspiration. I like the grit and the texture present in the wall and on the hoodie. Not sure what you were going for with your model that you didn't feel like you pulled off.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

whaam posted:

There's something about the contrast between the rock and the pale blue sky that is making this feel washed out to me. Not sure if that makes any sense but that's just how I'm seeing it. It's perfectly exposed but things feel a bit too bright, maybe just the time of day and the harsh light. The reflection turned out great, and it looks really great as a pocket of blue in all that rock, the light and sky is just throwing me.

Something about this photo feels off to me. I was pleased with the result when I was shooting then got back and didn't like it nearly as much looking at it on the screen. It's barely been touched in post but I can't see what would help it out. The only thing I can think that is dragging it down is the composition seems weak? This was at 70mm so I couldn't really move around and frame it very well, the only thing I can think to help would be to crop out some of the water in the foreground. In the viewfinder I thought it would work as a very simple 3-layer image with oranges on top, browns in the middle and blue on the bottom, but I think that isn't working since the island doesn't span the whole middle and the "blues" got pretty orange from the reflection.

Maybe you'd like it better if you fixed the vignetting? The composition does feel unbalanced. If that's what's bothering you then cropping out some of the water like you suggested would put the island closer to the bottom where it will feel more settled and probably result in a composition that feels more balanced.

Thoogsby posted:

The color of the ceiling bricks is fantastic in this.

Thanks, it's from that afternoon light reflecting off of the sidewalk. That corridor looks fairly drab in comparison at other times of the day.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

murp posted:

Here's some beach stuff from a trip this weekend.

DSC_9353 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

DSC_9300 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

DSC_9250 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

I like the first two, they're nice and well composed. The second one is especially nice.

The third one is interesting but for whatever reason I'm just not feeling it. That might just be me though. What technique did you use?

Also, I looked through your stream a bit and you should post some of those abandoned amusement park shots over in the landscape thread. I liked this one but there were a bunch that were good.

DSC_9412
by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

mAlfunkti0n posted:

My wife and I went out for a hike yesterday. Since I bought my X-E1 I enjoy taking it with me and have found a love for photography again. Too bad I am not all that great, so tell me what I can do better! The one thing I did not like about this one is the diagonal tree in the foreground enormous foreground subject that occupies nearly the entire photo. As always I feel like I need to hurry, which I am slowly working on ignoring.

ftfy

Seriously though if you take a picture and find that you don't like it because there is a huge tree in the way try moving. Take ten steps to your left to get the tree totally out of the frame. Take five steps to the right to try and work with the tree by framing the path under it. Walk past the tree and switch to a wide angle to get a similar composition relative to the woman and the position of the sun and see if that works out. Or cut the tree down and go back to where you were originally. Sometimes there isn't a better vantage point to be found and that's ok, some pictures don't work out exactly perfect for whatever reason (in this case a huge tree) and it's perfectly fine to like them anyway.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah thinking like the camera is tough. I agree with this:

xzzy posted:

Hiking and enjoying nature is easy, bringing it back home in a camera is hard.

I find it especially hard to take a pleasing shot of the woods. There's some people on here who do a nice job of it though.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

David Pratt posted:

Johnny Reb - you might want to read the OP, you know, like it says in the title of the thread.

I find your warning to the poster to be tough but fair. I don't think I would change it. However, it ultimately failed to convey its message to the viewer — he posted a critique but didn't edit it into his post so it's possible he may still be probated.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

I like this picture. The light from the streetlamp is nicely flagged by the housing of the lamp, creating some nice falloff that makes the shot. Also, the shot is framed well.

The other two pictures are kinda meh. In the first one there's not a whole lot going on. The subject is the 25 sign I guess? 25 is a good number. The flowers are pretty in the second one. The centered composition is sort of dull, the background is busy w/ all those cars, and the light is kind of dull too.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Hydrocodone posted:

Leaving the color discussion aside just a moment, I think these shots have a lot of potential but I want a wider angle on both of them. The first feels like it needs a little breathing room above and on the right side. The second I want there to be more space all around, the gate's close to fitting in and so I want it to fit entirely in and I think it would serve the photo well.

u mean something like this? https://www.flickr.com/photos/damonabnormal/3185438616

or this? https://www.flickr.com/photos/sthomasphotos/2761798491

It is kinda tough to take a pic of *just* the arch and get the whole arch but leave space bc the thing is tightly hemmed in by buildings.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mr. Despair posted:

don't bother naming all your pictures cause man it's weird

:agreed:

Pretty much anything past an informational title is almost always pretty :jerkbag:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Thorpe posted:

I don't really know much but I do really like the colors and how it draws my eyes farther and farther back. Would love to visit a place like that one day.

Ended up picking up a DSLR (Pentax K5-iis) after years of wanting to get into photography. I don't really have a clue what I'm doing but I'm trying to read a lot, and I have a copy of Understanding Exposure I'm going to begin reading next week. These will probably come off really point and shooty but have to start somewhere!

IMGP0326.jpg by alexmthorpe, on Flickr

IMGP0303.jpg by alexmthorpe, on Flickr

IMGP0371.jpg by alexmthorpe, on Flickr

I have a copy of Lightroom and I'm mostly just moving sliders and seeing what they do so the PP is probably weird. So much to learn but I'm having a blast so far.

First two are fine snapshots of stuff in a museum for you to file away then one day when you're looking through your photos be like "Oh hey yeah I remember that time I went to the museum and saw the mastodon skeleton and the Teddy Roosevelt bas relief. That was a nice day."

The third one is a nice photograph though I wish it weren't cropped so much. Seems like you did a really nice job of standing right in the middle and getting the symmetry perfect. When I look at it big on flickr it could be a little sharper. Might be camera shake, try using a faster shutter next time. 1/25 is a little slow for 18mm on a crop body. There's also some distortion evident in the ceiling that's being held up by those two big columns. Do you have Lightroom set to correct the distortion from your lens? All in all though it is a nice composition and a pleasing subject. It's a bit more interesting than the first two pictures.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I don't know how auto ISO works on Pentax but if it's like Nikon you can set a minimum shutter to make sure you don't get camera shake while shooting in A. Or use manual like Velocibacon suggests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mr. Despair posted:

I think a more useful rule of thumb is 1/focal length, so if you're using a 300mm lens you want to shoot for 1/300, if you're shooting a 15mm lens you can probably get away with 1/15. That's assuming you're shooting 35mm, so on crop you might be a little worse off, but still, it's a good starting point.

1/(focal length * crop factor) works for me