Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

Tactical Mistake posted:

I agree with you, those are my thoughts on the pics as well.

I see that someone has covered this above but I'd like to toss in my thoughts as well. You've got to get more light up under that hat, but you mentioned it was poor lighting. The vignette is pretty high for this kind of shot but I like the drama. I would rather have everything in focus instead of the fist blurred, but since you mentioned you like it, it really doesn't matter. Maybe crop a bit higher to get rid of the desk/lamp, and his hand could be on his hip instead of in his pocket, especially for a rockin' out pose like that. :)

I'd get a nicer flash for your camera and do adjustments in lightroom, it would really help out impromptu shots like this and you'd be surprised with the results!

I took three shots of the same lighthouse, thoughts on which is strongest, comments on any of them?

'3 Treatments Project' 500px. by Nathan Harburn, on Flickr

Overall your shots are considered and have a good zone 5 range and warm, unified colours which are working very well.

However, in the top and bottom one, the island/subject matter breaks the negative space in quarters and halves which isn't the strongest. Watch your ratio of negative space to positive space and you'll see that the edges of the islands and lighthouses hit the centre points of the composition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

Pickman posted:

I'm not sure about the post-processing on the above pic. Can't quite put my finger on what the problem might be though.

In addition to composition (already mentioned), the two colours that are mixing -- the purple-blue and yellow-green aren't very flattering to the subject.

The blacks cross-processed to ultramarine ads a sci-fi hue, which can be cool in some cases, but not this one.

Also, they are very sickly colours that don't compliment the subject (food-related).

In addition to composition, lighting -- good lighting -- is your friend. Chase it relentlessly.

3 Photos I took recently on a trip to SF:

I'm pretty slow and infrequent when it comes to photography (just got a digital 2 years ago), and I'm just mostly focusing on basic composition.
Would love to know what more experienced eyes see. :)

Disreputable Dog fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 6, 2011

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010
Tighten, crop, simplify. I can work on that. Thanks Kingdom of Sin, I'll take that forwards into new shots, and more seriously consider elements that can be lifted out.