Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

CarrotFlowers posted:

I don't know if there's many people here who would actually say manual focus is better than autofocus..

In my opinion, manual focus is better than autofocus if you have a camera with a focusing aid and a big viewfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

whereismyshoe posted:

Union Square, NYC by whereismyshoe, on Flickr

Untitled by whereismyshoe, on Flickr

Untitled by whereismyshoe, on Flickr

I like these, and especially like the last one; industrial abstract photos are awesome. There is a crescent mark that you should clone out in the lower left.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

I've been playing with my film camera again. Turns out the film was black and white. Who knew? (Not me.)

I like the first two, but the third one seems a little uninteresting to me; I love the textural effects that the grain lends to the sky, but nothing in it draws my eye. I agree with Mr. Despair that the second one's the strongest.

The first one could be improved (in my opinion) if you try a panoramic crop:

I shot some black and white too (and one color)!

Midnight, Open Space Preserve by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Onward and Upward by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Welcome to Morro Bay by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Nobody thinks processing means something is instantly bad. That's dumb. Every photo in here has been processed except for some of the film shots. People have questioned how the dramatic processing improves the image.

I can assure you that every single film shot posted here has been processed in some form or other.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I would move back a little, including the left edge of the bumper in the shot and moving the cutoff for the hood either to the right edge, or out of the shot entirely. As it is, it seems a little unbalanced.

Also, it's a matter of personal opinion, but I'd move the camera up a little and point it more straight at the front of the car; that way, the lines are a little more horizontal and less sloping, and the lines in the headlight lenses would be straight too. Ignore this if you're going for a more dynamic look like that.

Hotwax Residue posted:

Tried another night time landscape. I'm worried that it looks to much like day time. I tried making it darker and less blue, but it just didn't look right to my eyes and processing night photos isn't something I'm used to.

Remarkables at Night by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

When I'm trying to emphasize the night-ness of a night landscape, I like to darken the picture and increase the contrast. Especially with color, it tends to darken the blue in the skies and emphasize the stars more, as well as lowering dark details to emphasize the highlights, which is what'd you'd mostly be seeing under moonlight anyway.

Here are a couple examples:

The one on the left is brought down using a LAB-space L-channel curve (which messes with the colors less), the one on the right is an RGB curve.

Edit: increasing the contrast also brings up the whites, which I don't think you did enough in the initial processing; your snow is a little orange/brown and your stars are mostly light grey (partially because of the downsampling for this size).

Untitled by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Lady with Dog by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Coyote Land, Fog Sea by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 17, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The grain's a function of the film I used and the fact that I didn't get the exposure quite right. Nothing I can do about it now :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mathturbator posted:

Does this have anything going for it?

It has a great loving deal going for it. I love your composition here. If there's an uncropped version with the tip of the building at the very top of the frame, I'd love to see it to see how it compares.

I like the idea you're going for here, but I'm not sure the execution works out as-is. I'd stand directly in front of the truck and go for some symmetry on the grille and with the hood scoop; you could use the branch to break the symmetry if you chose.

This feels like it's tilted a little clockwise, and I'd crop it more towards a panoramic aspect ratio to get rid of some of the blank sky up top. It's pretty nice otherwise, though!

The Impression of Speed by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Chaparral Plains by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

East Bay, North Bay by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mathturbator posted:

Atomicthumbs, I've attached the almost-uncropped, original for your enjoyment :) Goes to show how much the color balance changes the image... It's got an ugly chimney right on top, which I've just cropped out here, but it could easily be removed in post.

I like the very tight crop better, because you get so close to the apartments that you can't help but wonder about the people living there (at least when I look at the high-res image...). When the top is included you get that much further away. What do you think?

I actually like the cropped one better. I guess the horizontal lines in the apartment mesh better with the whole image than topping it with a curve does.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I don't really see a point to the first one; the colored moss is an interesting subject, but the out-of-focus foreground dominates the image. I would stop down, focus on the moss in front of the camera, or tilt it up.

The second one is pretty darn good. It's got good composition, though if you were somehow able to freeze time and get the moment again I'd move over a tad to separate his mouth from the mic a bit. :v:

This is a nice shot, but I would personally go a little tighter on cropping out the bottom and/or left (or maybe the right), to emphasize the sunset sky more. Also, I'm not sure your horizon is exactly straight (though it might just be lens distortion).

Here's some photos of mine that I think work as a series. Feedback about how folks feel they go together is appreciated (or just the photos themselves, either way).

Nothing by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Break by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

A Home by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Leaving by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

krooj posted:

Went to see the Royal Winter Fair yesterday, which is basically a giant expose for all kinds of farmers in Canada, and even draws some from the states. It was a great opportunity to get photos of "wildlife."

This was pretty spontaneous, but I think it captures the overall sense of exhaustion as the day was winding down:

This was shot in a passageway connecting two buildings on the CNE grounds. Both sides of the throughway were covered with classifieds for horses:

I'm guessing that this booth was showcasing genetically modified cows. Each cow on display was enormous and extremely tired (it looked as though breathing was a challenge). I tried to frame the shot such that the cow's rear end was right between the two booth attendants, but only got it partly right.

All photos were taken with my D800 and a 24-85 f2.8 AF-D. Auto WB and ISO. Aperture priority.

You didn't critique anyone's photos; did you mean to post these in the other thread?

Also, to make forums-sized images on imgur, just add an h before the . in the image URL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

threnody posted:

I would totally normally agree with this, but for some reason I really love it cranked when it's architecture.

Un-HDR-'d, I don't think either of these are that remarkable. Composition on the first one is good, but I hate that I had to crop out the very front of the castle because it had all kinds of scaffolding and poo poo all over it.

The second image is nothing special, but I think with architecture shots the HDR adds something. Ambience. Drama. Something. HDR photos of cars, on the other hand, I totally agree with you about.

these look like a real time rendering demo for an nvidia graphics card from 2007