Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brewdog
Sep 4, 2011

aliencowboy posted:

You're going to hate everything you're shooting now in a month or two anyway. Dive into Lightroom and start making some mistakes. Get them out of the way sooner than later.

What he said. I should have gotten Lightroom a lot sooner. I've had my camera almost a year and I was trying to combine learning photography theory/how to actually use the camera/how to use GIMP all at the same time. Learning the basics on Lightroom honestly doesn't take too long, and it will spur you to take better photos when you see how you can manipulate the bad ones.

Enigma89, that sky is a prime candiate for experimenting with a grad filter in Lightroom. Depending on what your intentions are, a sky like that is perfectly fine without one, but those clouds are ripe for demonstrating how flexible your processing of skys can be in post.

As for the photo itself, I like the light coming through the lighter section of cloud, and how you have most of the reflection of this in the water. Thw white balance is very cool, I would have warmed it up a a tad, although this is subjective and obviously varies with intention.

Here are a couple of my recent shots. Be harsh please:

Glasgow Uni by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

Does the negative space hurt this picture? I'm still not sure.

Walk on by by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

I know beggars are cliche and generally frowned upon but I wanted other opinions as to whether the woman walking past and ignoring him was interesting enough to make an exception?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brewdog
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

Too dark? Sometimes when I look at it I feel its too dark, others it looks just right, different monitors and all that. I tried pushing the exposure in the foreground a bit but it looked unnatural.

Exposure looks good to me overall, definitely not too dark. Is the foreground still pushed at all? It still looks very light compared to the sunset background, I can't work out where the light is coming from.

Moonskiing by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

Is there any merit to this? Normally I try and shy away from extremes in post-processing but I like the results here. I purposefully shot into the sun to get the vapor trails nice and bright, and high contrast seemed the way to go.

Conquerers by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

Untitled by Benbrewer85, on Flickr