Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I like the idea here but I think the picture is too dark overall. She's almost completely obscured and blends into the sky. If you exposed it a bit longer or bracketed then stacked the exposures then adjusted it back in post you'd get better separation.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyways, I finally got another roll of film back, here's what I've been shooting. All shot on Superia 1600, so I tried to do what I could with the grain. I'll spoiler my own thoughts on my images so hopefully they won't influence any feedback you guys have.

73530019 by Cody P, on Flickr

I really like this, the texure in the dingy walls is great.

CodfishCartographer posted:

73530036 by Cody P, on Flickr

Definitely the grainiest of the bunch, but I intentionally didn't remove much in post. I was walking along a lake pier and noticed this kind of ugly valve with ugly stickers on it, and it sort of gave me the feeling of when it's a super nice day out, but you feel like poo poo. Even when it's bright and sunny out and you're at a nice relaxing beach and everyone is having fun, but gently caress you feel like garbage anyways. I thought the dark pallet and grain helped get that feeling. that being said, I do worry the grain is too heavy, and maybe I should have toned it down. I also worry the extra pier on the right is distracting being cut off, but I also kind of feel like it helps give a sense of place with the pier seen in the bottom. Maybe I'm just justifying not taking the effort to clone it out, though. The pipe also kinda looks like it's coming out of nowhere.

This is nice as well, I like how you've lined up the top part of the valve with the tree line in the background. That being said, why are you shooting 1600 speed film if you're trying to avoid grain?

Here's a trio I'd love feedback on.

Fuji Pro 400H on medium format.

I was trying to capture the grunge of the bathroom, and bring about a disjointed feeling with the multiple reflections for an overall unsettling feeling. I love this shot, but I fear I may be huffing my own farts.

Fuji Superia X-tra 400, 35mm

Trying to utilise the golden hues that Superia brings out to convey to bring out the dry, wind blasted feeling of this landscape with the path centred to draw the viewer in.

Fuji Superia X-tra 400, 35mm

I was expecting the film to bring out the yellow in the roller doors more, this is the shot I'm unhappiest with in these three. Trying to capture the dilapidation of this industrial area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I don't like the foreground elements in either. I think they detract from what is already an interesting photo. With the second set the waves are already so animated and lively putting a very static element in front of them does nothing for me, and is wholly unneeded. You could get away with the very bottom right short grass but the long stalks encroaching into the first third and almost all the way to the top, no thank you.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

Thanks! Now I just want to go out and take more photos. No idea of what yet, but I'll figure it out. I think I caught the bug!

Just take your camera with you everywhere and photograph what feels right.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just a reminder, PAD is for critique. When you post you should have some form of critique of either your own or others photos included. If you just want to share and have a chill time the low effort, chat, or any of the theme threads are a more appropriate space.