Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

Turd Nelson posted:

Good or bad? Even noticeable?

I would keep the trees from version 2 and combined the foreground from before and after. I would maybe play with some masks so the few trees in the foreground still have the look you had in the second photo, then softly, and gradually mask off areas, so those changes don't take effect in the background. That may help preserve the better fog "feel" from the first photo, or maybe accentuate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

I think you hit it spot on with the new one. Nice subtle improvements over the first one you had posted. It pops, and keeps that nice fog feeling.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

whaam posted:

I'm trying to take less photos that are loaded with too much stuff going on. It's hard because I really like colourful, detail-oriented seascapes and landscapes but I'm getting a lot of criticism about only shooting one thing. It was overcast today and with the low fog everything looked very flat so I tried to just go with the whole "flat" theme. Used a 10s exposure to try and lighten the water a bit to make the transition to the sky a bit smoother. I'm unsure about the tones as I don't do B/W conversions often, any recommendations are very welcome. Also holy jesus I don't know what happened to my camera but I had to clone out about 300 bits of sensor dust on this one. Maybe they were always there but I hadn't shot anything this plain to see them.

I like where you are going with this and it is a big change from your other sea scapes, which are great btw. Maybe a touch more contrast between the water ant the land would be nice. just a touch to separate them a bit but not distract from the pier. For me though I think an 8x10 crop might work better where you would still have a majority of your negative space on the left of the pier and half or third less space as you have now to the right of the pier. To me this would help the feeling of solitude(loneliness, maybe?) the pier in the mostly empty space provides, and then it would end a bit more abruptly heightening that feeling. As it stands there is enough stuff to the right to take away that feeling for me.

MrBlandAverage posted:

I tried to approach the subject of my friend's dragster a little more abstractly than I might otherwise. What works? What doesn't work?

I like the first one as is, maybe a symetrical, down lower shot might work, but I think you would lose to much of the nose shape and character that way, also a touch more DoF would help me then the rear tire would be in focus as well.

The second one is the one I was thinking might be more successful as a straight on shot, as you might get some cool kaleidoscope reflections of the bolts in the entire surface of the rim.

The third I agree with David Pratt, its a neat texture, just not enough to hold attention in this presentation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Trying to visualize what I want the finished product to look like when I'm finished with it, and this one actually turned out how I saw it. Just wondering what works with this, doesn't work, or if it's complete crap. Fire away.

Ice by David Jachym, on Flickr

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

Druckman posted:

Here's one that I've been struggling with.

Pond Hockey by AllLightIsGood, on Flickr

I think that the way his head is turned is not a problem and in fact an asset in my opinion. Really works with how he is holding his body in this shot. I think what would help out is including all of his shadow if that didn't introduce distracting elements into the shot. I think the shadow would lead from the lower left up to the boy in the upper left and really work well with the mood. Good conversion to B-W, really like the feel of the shot.

Really cool capturing the intensity of flight. I really like this one.

App13 posted:

PC290108 by App134, on Flickr

This photo was taken on a train moving slightly slower than the truck. I like how the fence post adds a bit of movement to the photo, but I'm not too sure how I like my conversion to B&W.

I think your conversion is spot on but for me all the horizontal lines, especially the window frame or whatever the thicker one towards the top really adds some distraction. I think its a really cool subject, and a good idea, but there are so many distracting elements with all the different lines in the photo, it takes a bit away for me. Though the tension added by that may be what you were going for?

Playing around with my new 50mm prime.

_MG_5675-Edit.jpg by Flying Ferris, on Flickr