Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z
Jun 25, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Day 11 by David Childers, on Flickr

The light is a little hot on the top of the forward foot, but I like this a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z
Jun 25, 2002

That first one is perfect. Iconic, mysterious, everything I love about underwater photos.

I feel like the second one succumbs to distracting distortion along the left edge. I totally see the elements you were going for (the birds, the timing, the clouds), but it just doesn't come together for me. Making the clouds/diver pop a little and de-emphasizing the boat might help.

Basically the same thing xzzy said. Technically there isn't anything wrong with it, the subject just isn't strong enough to stand on its own. You could try darkening the clouds a little, to add some drama, or even shift the color slightly to contrast the dam more.

Z
Jun 25, 2002

Awkward Davies posted:

Godamn that is a stunning picture. I think I would ask what your intent is tho. If you want to focus on that beautiful reflection, I think the photo needs a tighter crop. I think I'm also bothered that the snow in the foreground is pretty gross compared to the pristine nature in the background.

Thanks! My focus was both the reflection and the color of the lake, which is why I left some room on the bottom. Tough choice, because I wanted the shoreline to frame the picture, but that resulted in a larger chunk of snow in the bottom left than I would have liked. I agree about quality of the snow though. I cleaned up some debris in it, but I'm thinking I might need to desaturate it as well. The problem I kept running into was how to make snow whiter without losing all sense of texture and contrast.

Z
Jun 25, 2002

Shannow posted:

Curious, is this the full image you captured or have you cropped ina bit? It's absolutely beautiful, though I agree with the chap above about there being a little to much foreground, I feel it lacks a little in the sky department for such a wide shot. If you have one that's got a little more in it you could totally get away with a square crop here, and that would nip the sides where the distortion is becoming really apparent. As is it feels a little like it's forcing my head down and(to me at least)oddly claustrophobic.

Uncropped 10mm fisheye. On account of the lens, I had the keep the horizon above the midline or it would be distorted, and I feel like putting excessive sky in a landscape photo is sort of cliche. I suppose my goal was to show the foreground kind of spreading out towards the camera, with the mountains and sky just there to frame the lake. But eh, if it didn't work it didn't work. I took quite a few -- I may go back and look for one with better proportions.