Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

It's because they need perspective correction, not rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Jesus Christ posted:

First post so not exactly sure of the proper format. I decided to start taking a few photos with my cell phone everyday and loving around with my favorite one in photoshop to re-learn the program. Here are a few derp-a-derp ones from this week, all taken from a lovely cell phone camera. I have a point and shoot but lost the charger :|

Sweet pics. When's your gallery opening?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The concept is pretty trite.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

grack posted:

She's Got the Look X by jkostashuk1, on Flickr

This woman didn't really have the smirk going until I pointed my camera at her.

Beautiful. Going into my lookbook for sure

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Beautiful shot. Looks like a Diet Coke ad.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

iammeandsoareyou posted:

Attempting to get abstract with the dodge and burn tool. I already know I got a little out of the lines because I am not too coordinated with the brush yet.

LuminousBridge by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

:psyduck:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

grack posted:

A PC lens will likely be a purchase at some point this summer, though.

Haha okay

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You don't need another lens, you need a clue :69snypa:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dusted this would be dope as hell.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I think you should start to think about how that guy's hat interacts with the top of the frame

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dread Head posted:

Honestly people are probably not going read a book like that starting out. You don't really need to know much about photography in order to provide useful feedback, I think a lot of people get too caught up in the technical aspects. It could be as simple as saying what you do an do like about an image "I like how the duck stands out from the background, but I don't like how you can't see the feet". You don't need to know any "rules" to say why you do or do not like a photo, I mean understanding certain "rules" will make it easier to have an image that will likely come out "better" but I think of a lot of people that just comes over time and trying different things and is not something that is required to provide useful feedback on an image.

Clearly you haven't read the book because it's absolutely not about what makes a photo technically good or "rules"

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dread Head posted:

I have not read the book but I really dont think reading a book is a requirement to be able to provide some kind of useful feedback on a photo. I do agree that when you had a more diverse crowd of people posting in here I think it was a better environment for critiques.

It shouldn't be required but it's literally a book on analyzing photographs. It's not technical in the least.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Chomskyan posted:

Not really sure how to improve the composition though, are there any good beginner resources for that?

Look at images you love and dissect them to see what worked and what you're doing that isn't working. Find one thing, figure out how to do it right, and keep going.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

You shake them up to spread the sauce or whatever.

Hahaha that's stupid as gently caress

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Tsimp posted:

As for me, I am new to this forum. I'll go more in depth about my work, gear, experience, etc. later, as I want to get some first impression feedback beforehand.

Your gear really doesn't matter

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

RangerScum posted:

my critique is that your photograph is too blurry

Who gives a gently caress because that's dope as hell

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

LogisticEarth posted:

IMG_8649 - Copy by LogisticEarth, on Flickr

I kinda like this one but I'm not sure all the white space improves the photo or detracts from it. It also feels a bit flat due to the lighting/underexposure? I like the softness of the shadows but the contrast seems a bit too low and overall it feels darker than it should be.

That's just bad dude

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

Not sure if I did well with this photo or not. I definitely exposed for the highlights and lost a lot of shadow detail and have a lot of noise in there with what little i brought back in post. Perhaps should have also had more of the rocks the person is sitting on be in the frame to give more grounding to the picture before your eyes go into the background.

Watching the Setting by Nathan Nixon, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I don't like that the subject's back blocks most of the picture or that it's dead center. I think the original composition was a bit nicer.

you're too held up on the person being the subject

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

A picture of someone enjoying a sunset makes me feel more relaxed than a picture of the sunset alone.

It's not an uncommon thing apparently: https://www.google.com/search?q=per...0&bih=512&dpr=3

Note that the people tend to be looking into the center of the frame.
cool pics for my inspirational christian quote-a-day calendars

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

n.. posted:

Does anyone else feel like dorkroom pretty much died when the old photo a day thread was replaced by this thread (forced, half-assed critique) + the other thread where you literally can't say anything but post a picture?

Would be nice if we just had a normal photo a day thread where you could post pics and talk about them again.

the dorkroom has been pretty dead but this thread and the low effort thread are 5 years old at this point so i'm not really sure you could point to either one as a downfall. you can always start your own threads or critique people in any of the other threads that aren't the low-effort one

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

since i haven't posted anything for a while for people to dump on have at it

e: added some more because critiquing a single photo in a void is difficult

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 23, 2017

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This is all right, but it feels kind of empty and oddly balanced. My eye goes straight to that fugly tree on the right. I wish it were somehow just the sign, the white wall, and the stars because the red against blue is great but then everything else is like "hey".

thanks for the words. i've been trying to work on moving away from taking pictures of just what i "saw" before setting up my camera and trying to put it in the context of the scene, so i've been trying to have more empty space, especially because i'm shooting 4x5 and can still have plenty of detail everywhere, but it's pretty challenging to try to effectively make a scene "interesting".

additionally, my city converted everything to LED lights and they're disgustingly bright and difficult to work with

do you have any other context for this to help us out?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah I miss sodium. What kind of tone are you going for? Suburban industrial emptiness (spaces asleep) is always fun but some of your photos have an almost spiritual vibe that's really cool.

i've tried to work it out in some in-person critique sessions before and the closest i've got to explaining it is that i want to construct this isolated narrative of myself/the viewer finding themselves in some...situation? like, i started taking pictures of convenience stores at night imagining myself as a person stumbling up to this business late at night in a bad neighborhood and questioning what brought me there and the decisions that led me to be in that position. it's not like i'm trying to document something in particular, but pull out this feeling i get when left alone for too long. so yeah, spiritual seems to be a pretty good descriptor.

i like the other 2 you posted more than the first. since you're specifically talking about those pictures being from a location, the first shot seems like an off the cuff phone shot - which can obviously work - but it doesn't seem to scream anything particular about where you are. i guess the other 2 seem to be less of a portrait of your friend and more of an examination of the land that happens to have someone standing in them

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

thanks for the feedback. one note - i'm not really going for the "wandering into the scene" thing like i described before, that was just trying to give some context into how i came about taking all of these. i'm not really sure what my intent is, which is why i'm asking for feedback in an attempt to wring something out of the crevices of my mind.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm really torn about this picture. I took it because the reflections in the water and the path lights caught my eye but I'm not really sure how to crop it. My first thought was to crop the right side in to the path lights but the color and the structure in the glass building on the right hand side is beautiful, and I couldn't bring myself to crop it out. Then I wanted to bring in the left side up to the tower, but I didn't like what it did to the aspect ratio and how it lost the trailing lights.

In the end I didn't crop it at all, but I still feel like it needs something. I'm just not sure what.

i would suggest considering thinking about your crop before you fire off the shot, instead of trying to fix it later. i'm not saying you should never crop or anything - but try to have something in mind when you take it. it's much easier to work forwards than it is to work backwards, at least for me.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

This is such a great shot, I'm sure the window of opportunity was short, and you really nailed focus and perspective. This is one of the pictures that speak to why relatively simple camera gear (60d and a nifty fifty) can do so much more for a casual shot than the mobile phones people are using to capture everyday life these days. It's an interesting capture that could never be conveyed with an iphone.

Basically, I wish more people walked around with a decent camera.

photography isn't about gear my dude

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

the wonderbread balloon gave me a nice chuckle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

autofocus is good