Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hopefully I'm not going overboard by providing a small album of photos instead of the maximum of 3, but I'm looking for an overall critique of my "style/intent" for lack of a better way of putting it. I've not really done any photography for over 2 years now so I'm very, very rusty.

http://imgur.com/a/OVl0A

The first few were shutter speed tests but were left in for the sake of completion.

Overall I was aiming to try and obtain natural shots of human reactions to the event, no forced or fake smiles, no posing, etc. Just the true emotions and actions of those there.

The only lens I had that was capable of taking shots in a low light level was a EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens which kind of has a fixed range for what I would consider a well structured shot. On top of that, the event was busy and the crowd was constantly moving which, in combination with the lens limitations, made it quite hard to get optimum shooting positions.

Some, I feel, did come out OK (I particularly like the ones where you can see the details of the flames) but ultimately I think I knew what I wanted but lacked the tools or skill to pull it off properly.

Again, I hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting the album but it might provide a better indication of bad habits I carry through shots, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

King Hotpants posted:

Here's a new project: You have 48 pictures there. Pick the 10 best and post a thread about them, like Dread Head said. Tell us what you like about them and how they represent your style or what your intent was.

Cool, thanks for the direction guys. I'll start picking out 10 of them now.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

My first attempt at something in HDR (well, what i think is HDR).

North West Highlands of Scotland

It's a shot comprised of several different photos. I didn't have a tripod so just shot the images in RAW and then saved a high/low exposure of each one in PS before stitching them.

I'm quite new to this (and it's sometimes a bit of a pain in the arse to get the HDR and stitching to work together) so I'd really appreciate any pointers or recommendations before i tackle some of the larger shots from my trip.

I do think it feels a little muted in terms of colour, but I'm not really sure what to do about that.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

Glen Coe!! I was there last year mouth gaping at the scale of the scenery. I think you did a fine job exposure blending and stitching, especially without a tripod. The only thing that I think hurts the image is the inclusion of the gravel/brickwork in the foreground. It takes me out of the scenery. I don't think the answer is to just chop off the bottom half, but it is a stitch so you've got plenty of resolution to crop guilt-free and find new composition within what you have.

Hah, is that actually Glencoe in my shot? I was on my way to Skye and just stopped to take pictures of the hills and stuff next to where we parked the car without really checking where we were.

I'll take a stab at cropping that down a little and get to work on the other shots. Thanks.

edit: The views really were awe inspiring, but I felt that a lot of the really great ones were views I could see while driving but nowhere near stops. To get the really really great pictures up there I think you definitely have to be hiking.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 26, 2012

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Here are two attempts at cropping my image:

I kind of prefer the first one as it shows more depth, but I'm at the point where I've been looking at this shot for so long that I'm starting to lose objectivity.

edit: the problem with cropping in deeper is that it highlights the problems with my process, in that due to changing the exposure levels of the raw images, the stitching program (autopano) renders the final images at ever so slightly different fovs for some reason.

This creates an ever so slight ghosting overlap when using the layer masks. :(

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 26, 2012

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

^^ thanks!

I think you're focusing too much on trying to include everything in the shot, and by doing that, you're removing any context of scale that's provided by the midground or centre-foreground. As a starting point, try entering some common size ratios (2x3, 4x5, 1x1 or even cinematic ratios like 16x9 or 2.35x1) into Photoshop or Lightroom's cropping tool as something to work with. Play around with those, try finding a composition with a sense of scale while retaining balance throughout the scene.

Thanks for the advice, I've never really had any kind of guidance in regards to cropping before. It's always just been "get rid of what looks odd".

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

The second and probably most visually striking of the views i took pictures of near Skye:

I can't really decide between the blue and the green though. My flatmate prefers the blue but I feel that it kind of permeates the image washing things out and that the green just "pops" more.

Again, this could probably be cropped better, but i need to figure out a way of getting around the hdr/stitching/image size variation problem before diving deeper into the image.

The individual exposure layers are perfectly crisp, but autopano seems to fluctuate the final renders ever so slightly in dimension and FOV (even though it's rendering from the same source image files but just with different exposure levels). I thought that being out by under a hundred pixels wouldn't be that bad for something on this scale, but it looks like I'll need to try and get it 100% to remove any kind of "blur" from the final image.

Aliencowboy, when you mentioned standardised cropping sizes, do they generally still apply to panoramic projects like this?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I don't know what the etiquette is for editing someone else's work, but in an effort to see if I'm learning how to crop better, does this shot look better cropped in this way using the 1x1 size:

edit: I think it's because the main focus of the shot is maybe slightly more vertical in size than horizontal (or, at the very least, equal) meaning that landscape is perhaps too wide for it?

Kin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 27, 2012

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Went to a few places around Edinburgh today (it was a Doors Open Day where you get to visit places that don't usually allow the public in).

Piano at a musical instrument museum

A different piano from a different angle

The ceiling of a records library type place.

There's something about the almost a-symmetry in the last shot that I like although I don't know how to explain why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Kin posted:

Went to a few places around Edinburgh today (it was a Doors Open Day where you get to visit places that don't usually allow the public in).

Piano at a musical instrument museum

A different piano from a different angle

The ceiling of a records library type place.

There's something about the almost a-symmetry in the last shot that I like although I don't know how to explain why.

Quoting myself because I forgot the mandatory self critique, sorry.

First image: I lucked out with this really. It was a busy room and I didn't have time to line up shot properly, but I love the way that I managed to get the stark contrast with the depth of field. While Casu Marzu would prefer both black and white keys in shot I think otherwise (explained below).

I used to play the piano as a kid and to me this seems like a visual representation of how I'd play, where in my head I'd focus and think about the particular keys of a particular part of the piano that i was going to play next. When I look at this photo I think, "I'm playing those next", if that makes sense.

I went with a rich(?) brown temperature because that's also how I feel when I think of pianos. Old, wooden and in musty warm rooms.

Second Image: I like the architecture of the piano and like how my image shows off the complexity of a device that produces such simple tones. I'm not so sure about how the image blurs towards the top and think that maybe the shot would be better if it was all in focus.

Third image: The ceiling is symmetrical but my shot isn't and like I said in the original post, I don't know how to explain why I like it (i think it's something to do with how all the circles in the image look relative to eachother). I bumped up the contrast a lot to bring out the "orange/yellow"/blue between the sky and the ceiling to make things pop a bit more, but I might not have it quite right.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 24, 2012