Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Random Task posted:

Here's one I need advice with. I've been struggling a lot with this particular photo. This is a very heavy crop and process, and this version of the photo doesn't really resemble the out of camera photo. I'm also running out of pixels badly. I have some room to play with the crop, but much tighter and I'm sinking under the 2 MP (screen) boundary. Also a lot of banding artifacts; I didn't take this in RAW and have been kicking myself over it.

I was scrolling through the thread pretty quickly and thought "oh just another moon shot" and then I looked a bit closer. Nice work getting the airplane in there too. You might be able to pull it off with just a jpeg, but I would toy with it and lighten the whole thing a little bit. Right now it just feels a bit too dark all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Random Task posted:

I bumped it a touch, should I go farther?

The shot is actually darkened quite a bit. I love the dramatic effect I get from doing that, but it's very difficult to find the right balance of settings. I tweaked the WB here and it seems to have helped overall. I'm also hitting a nasty noise issue as the exposure goes higher. Blech.

The airplane actually just wandered into the shot as I was taking test shots of the moon. I hadn't expected it, so the shot was a haphazard "click the button NOW" rather than being able to set image parameters. I wish I'd gotten a few seconds warning about what I was about to see.

Yeah I like this better. I think it balances the shot out quite nicely. The plane looks like it's illuminated by the moon, it's a pretty crazy shot.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

William T. Hornaday posted:

Preemptively, I'm going to say that I desperately wish there was more space at the left of both of these.

This right here is absolutely stunning. Print and frame that today. I absolutely love how tack sharp it is and the amount of detail that you can see with the snow and in the horns. I'm definitely envious of the opprotunities you get to capture shots like these.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Turd Nelson posted:

Japanese Garden by Jenseales, on Flickr

Here's another shot from the Japanese gardens. I was trying to emulate the look of Alien Cowboy's stuff. How do the colors come off? Too green?

Untitled by Jenseales, on Flickr

Okay both of these are fantastic, and I love the cropping with the movie theater style widescreen bars. You did a really good job on mimicking Alien Cowboys shots, since I had to look at the screen name to see that it wasn't his photo. The colors in both are so vivid and crisp.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Hotwax Residue posted:

I tried something new. Not overly happy with the result but keen to have another crack at it.

Stary Sky by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

This is fantastic. The foreground and sunset are great themselves, but throwing in some stars was a real stellar move. Do you usually try to nail hyperfocal focusing on shots like this? I haven't had great luck with that, but feel its the only way to get everything in focus.