Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I had a quick look at them, and most of them are pretty boring to an outsider. There are many snapshots that does not tell a story, so I think you should work a bit on composition and/or the point of each photo.
Also the white balance is pretty blue on some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Enigma89 posted:

It looks like he was at Burning Man, and if so it means cleaning his lens would have been impossible.

Playa gets everywhere and you cough it up days after you have left. It looks kinda cool imo. @TMZ The shot with the girl is awesome. The one thing is that I wish the head of the duck had more colour. I mean its head is a giant flashy ball, but my eyes are attracted more toward the body. I don't know if you did it on purpose, but it kinda cool if the head popped out a bit more.

This was sort of an impromptu shot. Was at a friends place and saw the plane. The contrail was pink, and the sun setting was sort of pink with a blue background. I thought it was kinda neat. When I was fooling around with the colours, I noticed that putting stronger blacks kinda made it neat looking but I am not really sure.

You've got some serious dust on the sensor that shows up even at f5, and it's distracting.
When I see this image, the chimney seems to be the main focus, maybe cropping it differently would help?

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

William T. Hornaday posted:

They definitely look ridiculous compared side-by-side, but I always remind myself that nobody (except the fine people of the Dorkroom) ever sees the originals.

Straight Out Of The Camera >>> Lightroom Edits >>> Photoshop Edits

Thanks for this, it may be the best PS tutorial I've seen in a long time :)

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Does this have anything going for it?

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

aliencowboy posted:

The square thing at the bottom left is really distracting and pulling my focus to the bottom of the frame. It's a really cool picture though. Good use of colour and shape. I'd almost want to play with the reflection to highlight the transition from balconies and windows at the bottom to the clarity of the sky's reflection at the top.

Thanks, I cloned that out. I'm not sure what you mean about the reflection?

Atomicthumbs, I've attached the almost-uncropped, original for your enjoyment :) Goes to show how much the color balance changes the image... It's got an ugly chimney right on top, which I've just cropped out here, but it could easily be removed in post.

I like the very tight crop better, because you get so close to the apartments that you can't help but wonder about the people living there (at least when I look at the high-res image...). When the top is included you get that much further away. What do you think?

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I added some blue (complementary color of yellow), and the knife is now closer to neutral grey.
The shadows turned blue, but that can be easily fixed (I just didn't bother)

You didn't state if you shoot in RAW but if not - that's the first, essential, and THE most essential step in producing OK colors. Anything else you do is a waste of time if you don't shoot RAW.

It's a pretty gross picture though, that pumpkin doesn't make me want to eat it.

I'm not sure how you can make this more interesting, and the only thing that came to mind was working deliberately with symmetry in this specific picture. You have two identical pieces, see if you can make something of that. Plus remove the knife if you're not going to include all of it in the picture.

Also, I haven't done food photography at all, but I think that this kind of stuff works best with less shadow than you've got here - lighten it up a bit from that angle, but don't remove ALL shadow.

Mathturbator fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 28, 2012

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I have no idea why I love this picture so much... But I do!

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I really want to like this because of the symmetry, but it appears to be tilted which annoys me.
What I like about it is the water - it's very smooth yet it's got detail, and by that I mean it is smooth but not in that 10-stop ND filter way. The color of the water, the smoothness and the leaves combine to make a very nice mood, which I like.

The rest of the picture gives balance, but is bland and boring. The blown out highlights don't annoy me as much as it should, probably because it would feel unnatural and HDR-like if they weren't blown out.
Good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I think this is great, the colors and tonality borders on a cartoon-look - I knew immediately that these were your shots, before I looked at the username (and that's a huge compliment).

The pillows/chairs (?) at the bottom annoys me, because I can't decide what they are - and the headrest (?) to the right irks the symmetry. Overall, I like every one of them though. Got that special lighting going on, that is unique for your style. I'd say you've done a pretty good job on replacing your post processing with controlled lighting.