Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
First one: Not convinced by the horizon right though the middle or the centered bird, but I like the colour, the feel, and the guy on the right looking unbalanced.
Second shot: Branches over face ruin it for me, unfortunately.

krackmonkey posted:

over the edge by Trip Sixes, on Flickr
As everyone else has said, this is loving awesome.

I've been ignoring photography for a few months - my flat got burgled and I temporarily got rid of all my gear out of paranoia (they took my laptop but left the 5D and lenses :) ). Time to post here and force myself to take more photos.

Here's a couple of old Kodachromes I just got round to scanning:

Duck by atmz, on Flickr

Dusty Kodachrome by atmz, on Flickr

Does the dust hurt or help the feel?

And here's a stalkery shot from my roof:

Alone, the city by atmz, on Flickr

Not enough going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
Thanks for the feedback, sorry for the late replies.

Santa is strapped posted:

How did get access to the roof though? Is there some kind of unlocked hatch you go through?
It's an apartment block, we've got a fire-escape type thing that's unlocked and goes all the way up.

dreggory posted:

These are awesome. I haven't seen many film shots from the playa. What year was this?
2008; and I havent seen much film from the playa either, I guess BM isn't that much of a photography-friendly event. I definitely want to go back though, although I'll be sad at the lack of Kodachrome.

pootiebigwang posted:

I like the feel and the colors, but maybe a bit too grainy and I'm not sure about the framing - the trees on the right offsetting the negative space on the left make me a bit uncomfortable. Maybe try cropping it differently, possibly to a square.
Fake Edit: didn't realize it was film, nice; grain is unavoidable then but I really like the effect you got out of it.

Dread Head posted:

Random personal views: I'm pretty sure you've got the horizon straight, but the placement of the islands makes me feel like it's tilted a bit counterclockwise, and draws my gaze to the right. The rocks coming in from the bottom right counteract this and bush be back towards the middle. End result, my eyes don't really settle on anything in this shot, which is interesting but prevents me from appreciating the aesthetics of the image a bit. (I like it though)

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk

I like these - and I think the straggler in the bird one helps it, actually. I will say that the landscapes themselves are quite boring, but the interesting bits in each one make up for it. I am slightly torn on the rower, as it's really well done but also screams 'cliché' to me (this is not necessarily a bad thing).

I don't mind the noise/filters, but the edge looks terrible. The crop is interesting - it's different, which is good, but it feels like it's a bit tight on the right.

Shampoo posted:

I really like this one, it almost feels like a goodbye. The contrast between the sky and the ground works here really well. I'm curious about changing the crop somewhat though. I'm not usually a fan of the vertical crop, but I wonder if a horizontal crop would make the birds too small, and if a square crop would be too cramped. The vertical lends to a big sky, which I like a lot.

Gargoyle by jpitha, on Flickr
Vertical crop may work, but only if there's more photo on the bottom you can include, in my opinion. I think it'd look good square, but only if you reshot it from a bit to the right to bring the background closer to the foreground (laterally). The noise in the sky bothers me a bit, as does the shallow DoF.

Sorry, no feedback, but I like these. Where'd you take the second one? It looks familiar.

I've been playing around with swapping channels - I saw someone in the Dorkroom do it a while back (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrdespair/8706195732/in/faves-atmz/ - MrDespair on Flickr, I'm not sure of his SA name) and I really liked the effect on landscapes. I'm not sure if it's a bit too over-the-top though.

Pebble Beach by atmz, on Flickr

Stavro tis Psokas by atmz, on Flickr

State Pavillion, 64 Wold Expo by atmz, on Flickr

Full set here

atmz fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 10, 2013

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
Thanks!

Shampoo posted:

It might just be my eyes, but it also looks a little distorted.
I used Lightroom's magical perspective correction buttons, that may explain this.

I like the feel of these, especially the second, but, as I said for your other photo, I think they could use more depth of field. I usually am a big fan of blurry bits in photos, but in these where everything fairly far from the camera, I really think they'd look better sharp. It may be worth trying a square crop on the power line one (though I like the corner-to-corner diagonal you've got now too).