Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Hey everyone, pretty new to photography. I bought my camera 2-3 months ago and have just been taking it with me any time I head outside. I've been interested in just trying to capture little moments and finding interesting lighting as I walk around, here's an example of one I took today.

Still trying to get my head around shooting in manual and setting my focus ahead of time etc, would appreciate any tips based on what I've been shooting! I've basically just been dumping my photos in to my flickr and trying to refine what I'm actually choosing to take photos of and find a bit of a style.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58124135@N03/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

bobmarleysghost posted:

regarding processing - leave the b&w images..

Thanks!

I have been watching quite a few documentaries but not so much studying professional catalogues of photos or anything like, probably a good idea.

Re: autofocus, I find that the extra moment it takes for the autofocus to adjust can be a bit cumbersome which is why I've been trying to pre-set my focus. Obviously I can't account for every situation which is why some of my photos turn out blurry which I'm sure you saw (😬) but I still post them for my own self satisfaction just because I like the subject matter.

I haven't put too much thought in to using the pre-set settings either but maybe I should try experimenting a little bit and just see how it goes.

Great feedback, thanks again.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

As above, auto focus is good. If it's too slow for you, consider finding a lens/camera combination that focuses faster.

If you mostly like street shooting, it's also hard to beat the Ricoh GR line. Their focus speed isn't the best in the world, but they have a snap focus setting that essentially functions like a zone focus, and you can use either it or auto focus depending on how quickly you hit the shutter. With its 28mm equivalent lens the depth of field is pretty generous, so at f8 you can set it to like 6-8 ft and get everything past that in focus with a quick snap with zero auto focus time. It's also tiny enough to keep in pant pockets, and the GR or GR 2 can be had secondhand for pretty cheap.

I actually have a GR and the snap focus is what I try and emulate by trying to set the approximate distance I predict being from people while taking a picture! I also find that autofocus tends to focus on the wrong thing if there's something between you and what you want to take a picture of, which is why i usually go manual.

tompepper fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 16, 2021