Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beaver Fever
Apr 10, 2005

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

It was foggy this morning, attached is my favorite of what I shot. I tried to bring out the super faint destination area they're walking to but it was looking like crap so I left it as is. I cropped this a few different ways and I think the overcontrast/tiny people/vertical format is working for me right now, but I'm trying to get back into photo-ing so critiques are appreciated.

I'm just starting to learn about photography (light, composition, etc), so I don't have much to offer as far as critique. Anyway, I really like this. I kinda feel like I want the figures to be a tiny bit sharper to stand out against the haziness of the rest of the image, but overall a nice photo.

I took several shots of this dog on the porch, this one I ended up liking the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beaver Fever
Apr 10, 2005

Kingdom of Sin posted:

I agree that this is underexposed. I would have tried exposing for the dog and seeing where that got me with the light through the window (because I'd like to see that more blown out) and the light cast from above the door (exposing for the dog might wash the top of the door out too much). Compositionally, the biggest problem that jumps out at me is the huge area of porch boards. I can see you were trying to divide the frame up in thirds, but making a full third of the frame porch is really hurting you here-- what is that much porch adding to the picture that a third as much wouldn't be able to? Show that the porch is there, but don't make it a major subject. The dog gets lost the way you've composed the shot, because he seems like an afterthought; he's not placed as deliberately as the other elements are. I wonder if you could have gotten more symmetry or just more balance and less busyness out of the door area. The pillars on the left don't make a lot of visual sense, and the plant probably should have been removed before you took the shot.

Thanks for the input. Interesting how different it looks to me now after you pointed all that stuff out. The porch looks huge now! Poor Coco is swallowed by porch.
Also I actually underexposed it a bit in post, the original was a bit lighter, guess I took it too far.