Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

Touchdown Pope! posted:

My turn! I rarely take pictures nowadays, but I'm temporarily relocated to the French Riviera for a few months (for work) and there is plenty of interesting sights around!
First off, I think all of your pictures are awesome, really striking! Also great to see someone getting such good results from the 1000D! I will try to find something to criticise them for. I am a beginner so take my feedback with a grain of salt.

quote:

I feel like maybe the shadow is too severe? It makes the foreground a little underexposed. But then maybe that is what makes the photo interesting :)

quote:

For this one I am especially interested in how I should crop it, because I think it is too big (it is a huge stitched panorama but it doesn't show with the flickr resolution). I want to bring out the snow on the mountains.
I think having the rocks in the foreground, the boat in the midground and the snow in the background works really well. If you crop it down enough to bring the snow out, is it possible to make the smaller boats as big as the bigger one is now? Great shot though.

quote:

Is it obvious I clone stamped 90% of the crows? :cool:
Haha, maybe a few too many crows! The only small thing I can find with this one is the underexposed part in the foreground centre. Is it possible to bring that up with a mask or something?

Here are a few of mine, all feedback gratefully received for these or others in my stream!

IMG_3002 by waaarg, on Flickr

IMG_2961 by waaarg, on Flickr

IMG_2959 by waaarg, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

maxmars posted:

As for my own pic, here's one I shot today. More like a lucky encounter, but it's all I got. :)

Blackbird on Flickr

OK, I have only recently taken up photography and am not very comfortable critiquing other people so take this with a grain of salt. I'm going to use the framework in the OP of the thread.
First Impressions:
I like it! The expression on his face made me smile, and the photo immediately puts me in the situation of a chance encounter with a wild animal.
Technical:
All seems perfect to me, it's in focus, exposed well, DoF isolates the subject perfectly.
Artistic:
Composition is good. I kind of wish there was a bit more going on in the picture to look at though, or the background was a bit more interesting. As it stands it seems like a very well-taken snapshot. Obviously it's near-impossible to control that with a wild bird though :).

Mine:

16/04 by waaarg, on Flickr
I like this shot but I'm not really sure why. I'm also not sure about the bus, the text seems a bit distracting.

I think my above criticism of maxmars' photo could apply to this one, I'm not sure if the image is strong enough to stand without an obvious story.

I would love some feedback on the processing of this one, I have no real idea what I am doing with b/w conversions.