Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
So, I just got my T1i a couple days ago I have been messing around with it, waiting for my tripod, case, and new lens to come in.

I build myself a small temporary light box and decided to see what I could do with the kit lens and manual focusing on Av mode.

Be gentle mean. I wasn't going with anything particular, just seeing what I can do.

IMG_0882.jpg by Dradien, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

truncated aardvar posted:

The focus seems a little soft - not sure if it's the lens or the 1/4 second exposure that blurred it a little as you pressed the button. I'm assuming you had it resting on something and wasn't handheld?

I was kind of half resting my hand on a roll of tape, so it was kind of held, but I could have wiggled it, it's not entirely impossible. I can try it with a longer exposure, see how it is.

nonanone posted:

Color balance is off (too warm), you need more light (and more even light, see that shadow in the back right corner?) and depth of field is too shallow. You could probably also do with a little more room on each edge, no need to have the photo chopped right at the edge of the product. I know you said you weren't "going for anything" but if it's a picture of a phone with no other context in a light box, I'm going to assume it's a product photo and it needs those things at the very least. The easiest way to make it look way better is give it a ton more light, or expose for more light. Use manual, not AV because the automatic exposure may make it rather grey, since the background should actually be white.

I tried to get rid of the shadow in the corner. No easy way (that I could find) in LR3.

Thanks both of you for the comments, I'll try shooting more in manual mode, seeing what I can improve upon.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

William T. Hornaday posted:

It's been said many times before, but the tiger one is just...striking. I think you really capture the "majestic" feel about them. Looking to clean for a wild animal or to "staged" is obviously a personal feel. I just felt awe while looking at that. Such a nice capture

Now, last time I posted here was with a picture that was not color corrected, kind of crappy with a nasty shadow on it, too narrow focus, etc etc.

My wife and I went out shooting today on the route we walk every morning. Nothing too exciting, but we pass this farm quite often and I figured it would make a nice picture. So...what are your thoughts?

IMG_1164.jpg by Dradien, on Flickr

Dradien fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 29, 2012

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
So, I wasn't going to post any of the photos I took today because I don't want to annoy people with posting over and over again, but when I got home, I particularly liked this one. No more for a little after this, I promise!

IMG_1346.jpg by Dradien, on Flickr

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

rio posted:

second snowfall of the season by cadence440, on Flickr

I'm not an expert by any means, but I find that when I critique other people, I tend to be more harsh about my own photos, and hopefully do some better, but (again, my own opinion), I don't see one central thing to pull my focus to. I would think that it would be the light post and two trees in the front, but there are a ton more behind it and to the right. Kind of pulls the focus off of (what I assumed you wanted to be) the main focus of the picture.

Personally, I'd have cropped out the left side to cut out the person. I think the trees looks fantastic in the snowfall and light, but the massive amount of space to the right kind of distracts.

Again, take this as you will, I just started photography, but that is what I would do. I took a picture in a similar manner, but I wore out my welcome a week or so ago, so I'll wait to post some more and not forget the rules.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Mannequin posted:

Just chiming in to say that this photo is awesome. I'm not one for eloquent words, but it just seems like he is trying to enjoy a simple vice in his life before returning to the toil of the everyday. The background, to me, speaks that at that moment to him, everything is tuned out to him. He's just a man, enjoying a moment in life.

Like I said, not one for words, but the photo just speaks to me, more or less. The other two were impressive, but the moment you captured with this one is just outstanding.

IMG_4067.jpg by Dradien, on Flickr

This is from a impromptu "session" I had with my son. I tried to pose him, but I'm not very good at it. Eventually he got bored and started to look around, and a ambulance down the street caught his attention.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Mannequin posted:

What would you do to improve it? Or if you didn't like the other two, what would you do differently with them?

I'm more or less just starting out myself, started in February, so honestly, I don't have much to offer in the way of improvements. It looks drat good as it is. I did like the other two, but not as much as the one I quoted.

I can't quite put my finger on /why/ I like it more, I just do. Could be the subject, the composition, I don't know really, I just know I was really drawn to that one.

The other two were by no means bad, in any way, just the one with the guy lost in his vice just grabbed me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Mannequin posted:

From my experience dealing with kids, (and this is strictly my own experience with my sister's daughters, not necessarily the general rule), I've had the best luck capturing them in their own element. They will pose for you without even knowing it because kids do cute and funny things. You just have to be there to take the picture. I don't think this picture is a success. The background is a mess and I don't like that he's looking away from the camera. Surely your son has made you laugh or done something silly or made a silly face. Take advantage of these moments in his own relaxed environment without forcing a pose and I think you will get better results.

Thank you! I will keep this in mind, however, I don't always have my camera out and about with me, but I should probably change that...