Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape

Pickman posted:

Enough of my amateurish critique. I'm still trying to narrow down my selection of images for my course portfolio, and I need to decide between these two:

I welcome criticism of either picture, but if anyone could let me know which of the two images they prefer that would be great.

I prefer the 1st photo, because my eyes take a more interesting path from the flowers, to the foreground gravestones, to the background gravestones. The 2nd one it's pretty much a straightforward line from left-to-right. However, I get the sense I might've preferred both with a landscape orientation. The 1st one, if you were to print it, I'd recommend a non-standard square crop of the bottom 2/3s of the photo to get rid of the bright white sky in the top-left.

Here's a B&W edit I liked from a week ago:

I kinda like the color version too-- to retain the green patina on the bronze: http://i.imgur.com/NGyBDh.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Reminds me of my favorite children's book illustrator, Stephen Gammel:

I'd agree at trying to apply some noise reduction on the fog.

Took this yesterday at my in-laws (pity the birds are long gone, but generally happy with the mixture of sharp and blurry elements):

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape

robertdx posted:

Also here, the out of focus details are really distracting from the main subject. At least here the outer branches are almost making a coil inward to the center of the image (which is kind of nice because the main subject is dead-pan in the center), but the fact that the upper right of the image does not have anything to redirect your attention back to the middle doesn't help. The brownish background color in the lower right is also a little distracting.

Retemnav posted:

Just to use yours as an example, the timg really highlights how busy the picture is, and makes the brown background in the bottom right stand out much more. At least to my eye.

Tried cropping out more of the problem bits (green and brown voids on the right side), does this help things? (unfortunately I couldn't get rid of all the brown in the lower right without losing more of the bottom the nest than I'd like).

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape

Turd Nelson posted:

Thank you!

Okay, This is probably going to be my last edit of it, as i'm getting frustrated with my lack of photoshop skills. How does this compare to my second revision?

old

Forest WIP 2 by Jenseales, on Flickr

New

Forest WIP 3 by Jenseales, on Flickr

I really appreciate you guys giving me your input, Kingdom, Rio and Ferris Bueller!
I'm going to go counter to Rio and Ferris, and say I like your 2nd edit better than your 3rd (but then again I have a preference for slightly saturated colors).