Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've been away from this thread for a while, but I will be happy to share my thoughts on others photos and any ideas I have for them.

rio posted:

I tried to post these last week, but my computer crashed and then the forums were down all night. So, here we go again. These were taken new year's day at Ikea. I would greatly appreciate any critiques, comments, advice, or opinions, as I am trying to learn through shooting and reading and I trust the Dorkroom and have learned a lot here.

crescent pattern by cadence440, on Flickr

take me away by cadence440, on Flickr

no natural predator by cadence440, on Flickr

The first two are great. They really nail the simple, minimal, vibrant style that works really well, and you did a good job with the processing and colors. I think the third one doesn't hold up nearly as well though. The composition is off, especially compared to the first two, maybe singled out a single color instead of capturing them all. If you could have gotten a tight shot of the red area then these three shots would fit nicely as a whole in a cute way. The first could probably use a slight straightening though, it looks slightly crooked.

TMZ posted:

Alone, the city by atmz, on Flickr

Not enough going on?
I like what you were going for, but I think a few steps to the left to get less of the shadows in the shot would have helped a lot. The landscape you have there is nice, and the lone person in the window gives it a nice narrative. I would like to see it a little less flat, maybe slightly boosting the contrast and a little fill.

I just started a 365 project myself, with the aim of staying active, previsualization, pushing my comfort zone, and refining my style. I'm keeping a notebook with sketches for any ideas I have, then I refine them and shoot them for each days photo. I tend to lean towards what I call a cinematic style, and a lot of shots in this project will be made towards developing that further. I want my shots to look like a singular frame from a movie basically. I don't know how better to explain that but I hope it comes through in the works (where appropriate).

Day 1

Day 1 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 2

This was a drastically different style from my typical work, and I feel like it shows. I was going for an editorial look, like Wired or ESPN magazines. The arms are blown out because the lights were too close to me and the handlebars gave off a nasty shadow on my legs, but overall I learned a lot from trying out this kind of shot, but I'm eager to hear any tips or ideas to improve it.

Day 2 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 3

Day 3 by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate you taking the time to look and discuss my photos.

Axel Serenity posted:

Overall I think her look is just too busy. Too many things fighting for your eyes. For instance, number 2 would be a much better look without the scarf. The top and skirt look great, and her hair and hair color already have plenty going on up top. This isn't under your control, but would definitely improve things. I don't mind telling models when to ditch an article or accessory, and they usually are happy to oblige, just tell them it's distracting.

Also, for fashion these are a little plain. They are fine technically, but fashion tends to do a lot of exciting things with post, lighting, or concept. They work fine as portraits, but they don't really fit into the fashion photography realm (which is a crazy world in itself, I hate a lot of the styles that are big right now in fashion). Also, I try to never shoot from below a female, it is almost never flattering to their figures, especially with a curvy lady.

2012-28 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr
[/quote]

I get what you're going for here and like the composition, but I think it would come across better as black and white. I like the lights in the center but the brake lights on the cars are distracting, and B&W would fix that. I think you could show a more dramatic range of tones that way too. Just a thought.

David Pratt posted:

:)

I tried doing the whole low-contrast vintage split-toned thing. How did I do?

14/366 - Homemade Yoghurt Pizza by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Was this cropped a lot? The resolution is suffering almost to the point of looking like an iphone photo. The cross processing is a little heavy, way too much brown/yellow and not enough color to keep it grounded. As for the photo itself, getting level with the counter would be a better angle and add a nice depth to the scene.

Here are the next few from my 365 project:

Day 4

I wanted a fun shot today, and Evan was the perfect subject for a silly shot like this. She's a great baker, and I wanted to highlight that somehow, and this fits her personality perfectly. The side lighting was really needed to seperate the flour from the wall. I wanted to keep this photo simple and be all about the action.

Day 4 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 5

We were sitting at Barnes and Noble today looking through girly magazines when I had the idea to do a beauty shot. I asked Ericka to be my guinea pig and she happily obliged. This was a great exercise to work on soft light and skin retouching. If you light it well you don't have to do much retouching.

Day 5 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 6

I've been watching a lot of Ken Burns documentaries lately and I wanted to create a photo that reminds me of his work. A big part of his films is the photos showing American lifestyle and culture. My favorites are the 70s era photos, especially in the Jazz series. I love the old paint and the mood the lighting, both in the house and the flash, create here. I wanted an old film look here and I think I got close.

Day 6 by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 16, 2012

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I like this version better, but I still think there's too much headroom.

I have to agree now that you say that. The black and white does work better though.

quazi posted:

earth tree earth by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

dead of winter by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

path of power by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

The first one is perfect. The second one feels like a cheap comp, and the third is too mirrored to work as well as the subtle first one. The color you used for all of them fits perfectly though.

miketh posted:

Let me know what you think of these guys, and don't worry about brutalizing my feelings with harsh criticism; I'm made of stone.

It doesn't seem like much thought went into the first two. They just look like you wanted to take some artsy shots but didn't put in much thought to the photos. The spider photo is nice and the tones work well, it almost looks like film. gently caress getting that close to a black widow though.

The next three of my 365. First week down so far, and I love how it's keeping my mind on photos all day. I am really happy with a few photos so far, and I've decided how to fix a lot of things I'm unhappy with in others. I highly recommend shooting every day if you're not already, it's quickly changing how I approach everything I shoot.

Day 7

Today's photo is a simple and sweet portrait. No fancy lighting, just a good location, a good model, and my camera. This is from a headshot session with Katie, who is a great actress and performer that has some big plans for her career. I wanted to show her sweet personality with these photos, and this was my favorite from the set.

Day 7 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 8

I love wildlife and nature, and I've long been a fan of a photographer by the name of Igor Siwanowicz who specializes in insects, reptiles, and amphibians. This goal of this photo was to create a portrait of the animal, very different from most animal photos. I don't have a macro lens so I decided to use Lainey's hand to hold him and show their interaction as well. This snake (named Metallic) is a 1.5 year old corn snake. He's a cute little guy that is very friendly. We were lucky enough to see his weekly feeding after this shoot, he earned it!

Day 8 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 9

I knew going into this project that I was going to have to stretch myself out of my comfort zone of working with people as subjects and create photos I wouldn't normally take. This is the first attempt at that. A night landscape in B&W. I ride my bike a lot at night and I love these trees and the light on them every time I pass this spot. I love the depth of the scene, you can make out the sky and clouds towards the top of the frame, and the layered trees all the way down the street came out just right. Note, this one looks terrible online for some reason, out of focus and kind of blah. I don't know why, it's the first photo that's given me this issue and my workflow is 100% unchanged.

Day 9 by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 19, 2012

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeh, as I hinted in the portrait thread, it was really hard to get her to open up for the camera. I couldn't get anything but smiles, but I feel like that was my fault as much as hers. I work with a lot of really photogenic people, so I need to force myself to direct people that aren't as loose a lot more heavily.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dread Head posted:

This is one of those shots that just have that "dslr" look. I can't explain it, it's just crisp, sharp, and a little too clean. It sounds counter-intuitive, but it makes it dull. The composition is fine enough, but I don't like the blob of a cloud taking up most of the sky, and the chair isn't interesting enough for my eye to fix on it.

quazi posted:

Anyway, the mountain is one of the walls of Antelope Canyon, but this is more an experiment of how many sky photos I can stack up. (Not sure, but I think there's five here.)

north of perry by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

You said it yourself, but this is way too busy. The first two have a subtler touch that works, especially the second. I like the first a lot because it took me a while to figure out the waves in the sky (are they cliff edges/mountain faces?) but it's a nice effect that draws you in.

Here are the next three from me.

Day 10 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 11 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 12 by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gazmachine posted:

Oh poo poo David, please tell me you shot a shot of this without you in the water, so you can clone it in underneath yourself and then make yourself semi transparent in the water, because that would be rad.

drat, that's a good idea.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, how the hell are you lighting those or getting that lighting from the ambient?

EDIT; To expand on my thoughts of them, I agree with the sentiment that they look almost artificial, like museum models. They're just so clean, I don't know if it hurts or helps more. I feel like wild exotic animals shouldn't look so pretty, they lose some of that feral nature about them.

quazi posted:

I like the transparency of the feet in Day 11. It makes me think that the subject of Day 10 could be slightly transparent, to connect the two. To further the thematic connection, try rotating Day 10 as a vertical. (The waves are great. You could have easily shot this with flat water; glad you didn't!) Not sure where to go with Day 12. It seems a bit straightforward and grounded in comparison. There's no sense of weightlessness which the other two images have. If anything, the noise reduction in 12 is a bit too smooth. It could use a little more grain.

Thanks for the ideas. I agree, 10 and 11 definitely connect, though I didn't think about that until a few days afterwards. I'm already starting to see some trends (just finished day 17) and I'm eager to see the end and how themes develop further.

Day 15
A landscape. I'm terrible at this.

Day 15 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 16
A luthier.

Day 16 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 17
My grandmother.

Day 17 by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 27, 2012

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think one of the reasons it is not optional to give criticism here is because that is part of the process. Learning to disect, discuss, and think about what makes a photo good and bad is important for developing your own eye and skill. Don't feel bad about your level of knowledge or skill, that's not what is important, your opinion is still valid as an active viewer of the photos. You can point out the strong points, talk about things you would change, or say something just doesn't work for you, all are ok.

As for your photo, the scene is nice but there are some exposure issues. The street lamps are way too bright and look like tiny suns throughout the frame. Bring the exposure/brightness down and try a darker look. There is enough light in the scene to still capture everything without having those crazy hot spots. Also, the tree trunks have some vibration blur, and it's bad enough to draw my attention to it repeatedly. I like the scene and the photo, but there is plenty to do to improve it.

I'm going to cross post my three main shots from this weekend in hopes of hearing some dialog about them. This has been a really fun series to work on with my friends, and I'm planning more for this coming weekend.

day 31 by David Childers, on Flickr

day 33 by David Childers, on Flickr

day 29 by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thanks, I agree with the shoulder now that you point it out, I will fix it before printing.

Your color processing is incredibly good, in that photo and the others in SaD. It fits the subject perfectly and the scene is a nice find overall. The B&W shot is fine, it looks like it was shot on some old film. I hate brick walls though, and I think they're especially bad in two cases, when shot straight on, and in B&W. This photo does both, which makes my eyes go crazy. That's probably just me though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CarrotFlowers posted:

You've got a Brooke Shaden type feel going on with the poses and elements, but not the processing, which is interesting.

I feel like in the first one, she is overexposed for the rest of the scene. I don't know what you were going for, but the way it's set up, and with her expression, I almost feel like it should be a little darker, or a little dirtier...thats not quite the word I'm looking for, but she just feels too clean and well lit for the rest of the scene.

Second one, I really like. I love the colours and tones - I feel like the cooler temperature really works with it. I also think she is lit really nicely. Reminds me of a resurrection type thing, which is cool. I wish her expression was a little stronger. Again, the elements around her (the string, the lighting, the forest) create this quite dramatic scene, but her expression is just kind of dead looking. Actually that goes for the first one too. They both are just there - I want to see more emotion in their faces.

Third one is great. I agree with the colour of the legs not matching the arms is a little weird, but it's a great image. If anything, I think I might want to see a little bit more negative space on the bottom to really get a sense of floating, but it's a neat image this way too.

Were you the one who did those Brooke Shaden type images on the beach a while ago?

That's an intriguing compliment. I'm generally torn on Brooke's photos one way or another, either the pose or the processing, but she's fantastic regardless of my opinion. I'm working in realm that's not quite as dark as her stuff, combining more natural portraits with conceptual fantasy-ish themes, but with a "happier" feel I guess. I completely agree with the lighting on the first. I shouldn't have added the fill from the right, but that ended up being the best pose so I'm torn there.

I loved her expression in the second, but I'll work on getting more emotion in general. The color in the legs in the third is bothering me too, I'll have to fix that. I wasn't the one with the beach photos, I'd like to see them though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

my vinyl heart posted:

Ok, here is the deal. I've lurked this thread for a while, and never really felt confident to post any of my own stuff, but I finally got my computer working again and am trying to teach myself lightroom. I have only used it a couple times and really don't know what I'm doing, so I figured now is the time to man up and ask some opinions. Here are a few things I edited today. Feel free to tell me anything you want about them.

Swamp fever by Everyday Adam, on Flickr

Took this on a really dark overcast day, and ended up getting poison oak during the shoot, but I'm starting to like this shot. I'm mostly wondering if I should do any other color correcting. I only did a little to make the green on the plants look a little brighter.

Who has a light? by Everyday Adam, on Flickr

I'm mostly just wondering if this one is decent or if I like it because the bird jacked a cigarette. I do regret having the wide angle lens adapter on, as with the flash it has that dark shadow in the center bottom on my friends shoulder. Is this picture too dark in general? Or should i run with it and try to remove the light sources on the left and right? I kind of feel like they are a bit distracting.

The first has potential, but when shooting in a high contrast scene you need to subdue that in post, especially when you're shooting a person in the scene. I try to compress and get tight (either with zoom or my proximity to a model) to make the frame have a more consistent light so that I can control and use it better. For instance, having her in the shade so you can get a nice even exposure instead of fighting with the dark ground and bright sky. You did much better with this photo as far as that idea is concerned.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30814206@N08/6839369141/in/photostream/

The second, while a funny shot, looks like you just snapped a funny picture of a funny incident. It's a really cool bird though, he would make a good subject if you ever get the chance to try something more thought out with him.

carcinofuck posted:

Untitled by changezi, on Flickr

All of these were nice but this one is much much better than the rest. Where were these taken? It's a beautiful place and this photo makes me want to go there.

truncated aardvar posted:

I do wish this thread was a little more active - it's very informative to see what other people think of shots, how they see something that I wouldn't see. I add that to my knowledge and it becomes so obvious when I see it down the track some time.

I've enjoyed your 365 journey so far. Do you feel you've gained a lot so far?

I actually like the lightness of the model in the first one. She's meant to have an ethereal air about her, no? I think it's hard to capture that without resorting to some tacky post-added halo effects. Her expression doesn't work for me though; it's hard to tell what sort of expression a woman of the forest should greet you with whilst sitting in a nest, but I'm pretty sure that's not it. Then again, the more I look at it, the better it becomes. It really is a beautiful image - I prefer it to number two, which seems to be everyone else's favourite.

Number three's legs look like they're from an autopsy slab, but apart from that I really enjoyed the shot. Pity you told everyone how it was done :)

Yeah, we can all do our part to make this thread more active. I'm personally trying to comment more on photos and make sure I post here when I have images I feel are worth sharing.

The 365 project has been a great motivator for me to actually follow through with plans I've been making. I started out shooting random stuff and now I'm working more on different themes and series like the ones I just posted, which I feel is a better use of the time and effort than just random ideas that don't have much forethought. The hardest part for me is scheduling things with people, so I end up shooting most of them for a week in 2 or 3 days. I don't feel like I'm cheating the idea though, I'm still producing 365 photos in 365 days, which is my goal, so I don't worry about shooting one image per day as much.

I would highly recommend everyone do something like a 365, even forcing yourself to produce 1 image a week will give you something to always be thinking about and planning, as well as being able to constantly critique your own work and progress.

It's also been a good move business wise for me, I've booked a few shoots and gotten wedding inquiries from people seeing my 365 photos, as well as selling prints and licensing for some of them. My Facebook page, which is the heart of my marketing efforts, has blown up, getting 2000% growth on interactions and 10x the reach of my normal posts, so that's a cool side effect.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The exposures are nice, and the models and locations are great, but the lighting is so flat it really hurts them. I really like 1 and 3, but the 2nd model's poses are really off for the subject matter. I know that's not under your control because of the workshop.

Robot Jelly posted:

Invitation by victus_arca, on Flickr

Inversion by victus_arca, on Flickr

Invisible by victus_arca, on Flickr

Be really careful in B&W with dark colored skin, it looks like you made her skin significantly darker in the B&W shots than color. Of these three, the first pose is the strongest. The third's hair in the eyes is distracting, the second is ok but not great, but the first is very flattering and she looks great there, just lighten it up a little. Use color channel mixer in the B&W editing to get her skin tones right.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just to clarify, those are Leif's photos, not mine. Your wording makes me think your thought they were mine?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

-------------------------------

A few from California I just scanned.

Santa Ray by RHITMrB, on Flickr

I really like this one. It feels off, almost creepy, in a good way. I expect something to be hiding in that window, but maybe that's because I've been watching some horror films lately.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I'm jealous. It's a good shot, but I'm not crazy about the perspective of the camera. I would like to see it higher off the ground looking you more in the eye instead of looking up. This might help give a bigger sense of scale by showing more of the background and less of the sky. Just a thought. The lighting is good, and has a straight forward adventure editorial feel.

Here are a few I like from this week

day 32 by David Childers, on Flickr

I tried layering lighting with a long exposure. I wish I had gotten the back trees more to really add that extra depth. Oh well, the owl is cool.

day 35 by David Childers, on Flickr

Self portraits are hard, especially with no tripod or remote shutter release.

day 36 by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The more I look at them I agree. It was really just a study in lighting, and I wish I could have shot the right one a little farther back in a landscape orientation.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

POO by RHITMrB, on Flickr

No! by RHITMrB, on Flickr

These two are begging to be shown together. Very funny.

TsarAleksi posted:

Editing a few pictures from my last trip.

That portrait is so so good. The second is a great capture too, very good journalistic quality to it. Where did you go?

whaam posted:

Been to this spot about 10 times now and something is always wrong, tide, light, wind. Everything lined up finally this time, hoping I don't have to go back there any more.

That's definitely a great spot. The only thing I think could be improved would be having the large rocks in the upper right on the left side so they capture some of that light and even out the left side. The top left corner is a good bit darker than the rest of the photo, and it traps my eyes. You could probably just bring it up in post a little and even it out.

The next installment of this series I'm working on within my 365. I'm starting to hate the days when I don't have anything lined up to shoot, because I am terrible at just walking around and finding a photo. My strength is planning things out then shooting, ugh.

day 39 by David Childers, on Flickr

day 40 by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cockwhore posted:

Day 35 I feel is the weakest of the bunch. I agree completely with you that brighter trees in the background would have helped the picture a lot - that was my first thought before I read your comment. I also didn't immediately notice the owl. Have you considered a much tighter crop? Something like this (but less crude and lovely):

Thank you for the idea and the thoughts, I agree that crop is a good fix for it.

Tamgerine posted:

The first one is way too wide and they're lost in the frame, and it also draws too much attention to the lighting.

I like the second the best, but as said the couples form isn't quite clear. I think the rim light is too harsh as well. I like the sky and ground balance though.

The third has potential but that is a bad angle for her. Also his hand is really akward, I can't tell if he's trying to hold her hair back or turn her chin for a kiss, but it looks like he's going to grab her throat.

CarrotFlowers posted:

IMG_0178 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_0212 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_0227 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

The second one is really nice. The first one could benefit from having a dark background like the others, and her expression doesn't really fit the hood. Overall they're a little dark, and the back of her face is brighter than the front in all, something I try to avoid. I like for the brightest part of the face to be the closest cheek/nose for headshot style portraits. Also, be mindful of models' jaw lines, she could push out her chin more in all of these and really help her look. I always tell subjects to push it out until it feels awkward, then when they inevitably relax a little it usually ends up in the right place.

I'm going to post 4 today because they are a set, sorry for breaking the rules.

day 41 by David Childers, on Flickr

day 42 by David Childers, on Flickr

day 43 by David Childers, on Flickr

day 44 by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

rio posted:

One more thing about this - I don't know if you were looking for a natural looking thing where it actually looked like she was throwing the powder, but it was almost immediately apparent that the dust is photoshopped due to the symmetry. I would have liked to see a more natural looking dust pattern, even if you had done what you did but then went further to add some randomness to the dust patterns. I am always looking at symmetry, so this might not even be a noticeable issue for a general audience, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

It takes me to a place where I question what I am seeing and what was actually happening in the scene vs. what was added by a computer - like, was she even throwing the dust? Is the weird look on her face because she was just standing there in place like that and then you added the dust effect later? That is the road my brain goes down while looking at it.

Actually it was real, at least most of it. I mirrored the right bottom to the left bottom for symmetry but the rest is real. Good point though, I may do some clone work to change it up some.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ringo R posted:

This photo is really ruined by the reflection of yourself on the trunk. If you cleaned up that section it would be really nice.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

rice bowls-0379 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

There is some really nice light there but too much clutter that makes it just look like a normal room, nothing to draw you in or make your eyes care to explore the space and gorgeous light. There either needs to be more stuff or nothing, it's just kind of bland as is.

A few recent shots of mine, I've been busy and haven't been able to post here :(

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 1, 2012

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm going to post this here to help both people that are shy about posting critiques and those that are shy about posting photos.

quote:

How do I give another photographer a critique?

Whether written (formal) or verbal (informal) I recommend using a system so that you’ll look at and critique photographs similarly each time you do. The system I use includes the following specific steps:

Take It In

Examine the photo as a whole. Take in the details of the photograph. If something stands out (either good or bad) take note of it, but don’t say anything at this point.

Interpret

This is your first ‘broad brush’ opportunity to respond to the picture. It’s a chance to talk in general terms about what the photograph makes you feel, what it says to you, what the photo is about (in your opinion), themes, symbolism, etc. Remember, it’s art, not something with a ‘right or wrong’ answer, so even if you see things that the artist didn’t intend, or feel things about the work that are unexpected (to the artist) that’s OK! (and can be extremely helpful for the artist to hear as well)

Technical

Here you’ll want to address the technical side of the photograph. Is it in focus? Do you see dust spots (more relevant to film)? How’s the contrast? Would the picture worked better with a smaller or larger aperture? Etc. Essentially if it has to do with the technical side of the photograph, this is the place to address it.

Artistic

And the other side to the ‘technical’ coin is to address the artistic. How’s the crop? Is the picture composed well? If it is in color would it have worked better as a B&W (or vice-versa)? Etc.
Good Points It’s important to find some good in the photograph… This is easy when you like it, and harder when you don’t. The truth is that no photograph is irredeemable, and even if it’s a challenge to see it, there is good in there and you need to find it! The more specific the better. “I like the clouds” isn’t helpful. “I like the way the clouds draw the eye across the frame diagonally and pull me more into the frame” is much better. Put some thought into this section, but especially put some thought into this section if you have a lot of things you want to say in the next section…

Areas for Improvement

It’s important to remember that for the most part it’s difficult or impossible to ‘go back and do it again’ when it comes to photography. This means that it often isn’t very helpful (and can be quite frustrating) to provide criticism that can’t be acted upon (“I sure wish the tree was on the right side of the frame instead of the left”) I generally try to provide a couple of things that the photographer can act upon (crop the frame differently, and B&W would be better than color) and try to couch things that can’t actually be implemented as ‘things you may want to take into consideration for other pictures in the future.’

So with every photo that catches your eye you have plenty to think about there. You can also apply these same thoughts to your own images, and if you can't answer or justify why you took the photo or why you shot it the way you did, you're not putting enough thought into your images. If you know your photo is weak technically, say you missed the focus, you should probably withhold sharing it, unless there is a compelling reason otherwise. I am a firm believer in getting down the basic technical skills of any creative outlet first so that you can actually flex your creative muscles with it. If you don't understand exposure or focus, you need to spend some time working on that before you post. We're mostly here to improve our craft while sharing with one another, so let's put more effort into both sides of that relationship.

EatinCake posted:

Here are a few from myself.

You need to resize these. They are too small as thumbnails and way too large at full size to really take the photo in. I will say they are all out of focus and the second shot is particularly effortless. The third shot has the most potential given the crazy scene, but the technical issues hurt it too much.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Like this one but the vignetting is a little distracting.

Here are a few from a bike ride today

I like this better than the other two. These are really nice tones, but a different angle or at least some straightening would go a long way to making it better.

Senior portraits with a super photogenic friend of mine. These were all taken outside, the first with one strobe/softbox, the seconds using a reflector and shade to create a studio feel (with the sun providing a nice hair light), and the third with no flash.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 2, 2012

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thanks for all the posts guys, you guys help me notice the little things I miss when going over hundreds of photos a week. Lot's of great activity here too, glad to see this thread back.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Thing I found interesting tonight:

unwined-1260 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

You nailed that one. I would love to see a person sitting inside but I love the scene as is and I like the blackness surrounding the building.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sleeping baby shots can definitely work, but you do have to be careful of dead baby syndrome. I don't particularly get that vibe from your shot, but it's something to watch for.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here is another great read about critiques.

http://theawesomephotographer.com/discussing-photo-critiques-forget-the-bokeh-focus-on-the-creativity/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mannequin posted:

Yeah man, that sounds like a winning attitude. Why bother with fashion or food photography? I mean, drat, there are some (good) photographers who do that stuff. It's not special, right? Sorry, but that logic is idiotic.

If anything your style makes the genre more interesting, because it's refined and different enough from most of the street work you see out there (good or bad). I hope you take a good break and continue doing them, as they're your best work in my opinion. As someone else said, the best thing about them was how much of the subjects personality came through, which says a lot about your skill in not only shooting, but finding interesting subjects and engaging them.

That said, I'm eager to see what you cooked up with a model. I remember years ago telling you to start shooting some portraits because you had such a good technical knowledge, but I wanted you to apply it to something like people.

alkanphel posted:

Botanic Gardens 7-2 by alkanphel, on Flickr

I think this is really nice. You took a normally cliche photo and made it something more. It almost doesn't look like a flower at all.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Critiques a few posts up. Here are some more loving landscapes. Again.

All of your aerials are outright stunning, but this one is my favorite so far. The sense of scale really plays with your head, and I think that's why it's better shot so tight than wide. The compression really enhances the effect, and getting that detail from that far away makes it just feel massive. This kind of landscape work make for really amazing prints, I hope you get to see some of them on a wall. I probably missed the back story, but where is this and what do you do?

hepkitten posted:

This really stuck out to me a while back so I'm going to spend some time on it. Her pose is really off for what you're going for. It says fairy or princess, not robotic/clockwork at all. The makeup is also not adding to the effect, a more monotone or grey shade would be much better than all the color. You already know about the light issues, mostly the zombie skin on bottom, but also the sun being too warm at the top, especially on her hair. The other shots of it are a bit better as far as her posing and the theme, but this one is the best technically. If her acting the part was an issue there's not much you can do, but it just feels forced if not executed well enough. I try themes/props all the time and it's really frustrating when they don't come together, but awesome when they do.

Here are some recent portraits of mine. The subject is an actress/writer that was insanely photogenic. Dark skin on such a bright day was a big challenge, but I was pretty happy with the results.

IMG_9352 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_9346 by David Childers, on Flickr

Panorama by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

carcinofuck posted:

It is, I like the same thing about it. It looks tilted though, and it also looks like a shot that would actually benefit from centering the bulk of the object of interest.

I like the haze. The only issue for me is the underexposed bottom, but the general feel of the photo is really nice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ButtMonkey posted:

Hi Photo a Day!

I've given some thought to the "buy now, pay later" approach with critique (giving crit without posting photos, then later posting photos without crit), and I think I've sort of decided how I'd like it to work. I'd ask that if you plan on doing this (and it's fine if you do), post your crit-free photos the same day as you post your crit.

"The same day" is obviously open to interpretation and you don't have to worry about being three minutes past midnight or something. I'd also ask that anyone reporting no-crit posts scroll up a bit to make sure the person didn't provide crit earlier, but I'll also try to do this when I handle the report to make sure nobody gets unfairly probated/shamed.

Thanks for making PAD awesome again!

(I'm editing this into the OP now)

But it's fine to comment on photos without posting some ourselves that day right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cacator posted:

Gracias for the input, y'all. I cropped closer and pushed him towards the right, could have gone a little further but I wanted to keep just a bit more of those trees on the right in.

LN by Cacator, on Flickr

I don't think the crop works, it draws attention to the fact that the image isn't quite sharp, which wasn't noticeable before. The wide street in view was what made the photo for me, filling the frame with him more isn't as strong because his pose and expression are a bit deer-in-the-headlights. It was ok in the original frame, but looks awkward here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dude, you're being pretty hard on yourself unjustly. Your photos are fine, and you don't have any huge issues, at least not from what you've shared. Also, don't worry about your gear. I actually just posted my first blog post about that very topic, with the point being that any decent camera can take great photos. The three photos in the blog post were taken with a canon XTi, so you're a generation ahead there.
http://www.davidchildersphotography.com/Blog/Which-camera-should-I-buy/22480976_tWLJ4p

The fact that you constantly worry about fundementals is a good thing, it shows that you know what you need to look out for to not mess up basic principals. as for those three pictures, the third is the best, though his shirt is awkward and his skin tone is a little off. The first is a great composition and the light is really nice, but you missed the focus. The second was shot from a bit too low, and it doesn't flatter the subject. I'd personally say that your eye is better than mine was at a year. Keep shooting, keep sharing, you'll only get better.

All said though, your smugmug isn't doing justice to your photos, you could do a lot of cleaning up on your site and maybe even an overhaul. If you're going to market your work, you want your site to be a lot more attractive and match the photos.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 17, 2012

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I like the posture in the first. He looks kind of like a goofy guy, but his jawline is really great there and I think it works. The second is very awkward though. There is also a lot of issues with hot spots from the lighting and color temp of the skin.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ringo R posted:

I agree with the other guy who said the first two blend in too much with the background. Do you have a longer/faster lens to create a bit of background blur? Have you tried longer shutter speeds to blur the background/get a sense of motion?

At first glance I thought the green goo was the remains of a poor frog... :)

- - -

I really like the idea of putting this in CC. CC, please tear me a new one:

The first shot has a great eerily empty feel, I really like this shot.

The second and third together create an interesting effect that almost hurt my eyes trying to seperate the lines, but seperately I think the third achieves the same effect stronger than the second.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Samolety posted:

People talked about the babies a lot, but I really like the dog. Specifically, I think the perspective is working really well in this one. Being down there with the dog really seems to show "relaxed" and "lounging" better than other angles may have.

I love this one so much. The colours are great, but what really gets me is the scale. The tiny subject compared with the enormous background really works for me with the subject matter. He's cleaning up after a natural disaster, and he's so small. I'm not sure if that's what you were going for, but it speaks to me of man's smallness compared to the enormity of nature.

On to my stuff... I just got baby's first DSLR last week and have been playing with it quite a bit. I've been interested in photography for a while, but I'm still not entirely sure what makes a 'good' photograph. I've been reading up on it and I hope that helps me improve, but I also think some direct criticism will help a lot in giving me specific things to look for. I'm trying to pick my best stuff, but if they're just eye-burningly bad then feel free to ask me not to post anymore until I get better.

DSC_0057_01 by Samolety, on Flickr

_DSC0078 by Samolety, on Flickr

_DSC0217 by Samolety, on Flickr

Gonna critique this post because you have a big range of content and success in the execution in just three photos. The first is great. Lots of mood and very sharp with great tones. It looks like a great spot to hang. You could probably try boosting the shadows a bit to improve it, it's a little on the dark side.

The second is just really flat in both composition and lighting. If you're going to do an environmental portrait, you need to show more. I think it would work a lot better with a wider angle. The lighting is also dull and the scene needs more contrast.

The third is the worst, as the bottom of the statue is completely blown out, and the angle isn't showing it in an interesting way at all. Again, I think wider would have helped this shot, just to give it some context.

These are the first two portraits from a new series I'm working on, a feature of local faces and micro interviews with them about who they are. I can't decide if I want to keep the composition really similar throughout (planning 100+ of these) or not. I like it but I would also like to branch out and add environmental portraits depending on the subject. I could post the stories with them, but I wanted feedback on the photos mostly.

Fraser by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

Madison by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All three of these are great. How are you doing your white balance, it's so clean and perfect. The first and third are better, the second is just a little too straight on. Actually, I think the second would be a lot better with a wider angle to accent the angles and lines.

Two more portraits today, not crazy about the light in the first but it was the best available in his shop.

Patrick by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

August by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's a Will Ferrell cutout with a mustache taped to him :3:

Thanks for the idea of vertical cropping, I'll give it a try.