Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Atlatl posted:

that lighting is perfect and the subject is adorable :allears:

The plant in the foreground getting in the way of its neck and ear is really distracting. It probably would have meant missing the shot if you moved far enough to reframe it, though.

I like the subject (staircase door) and the lighting a lot. The windows on the left being out of focus kind of takes away from the geometry, but focus stacking could fix that. Also maybe get the bottom of that first window in the frame. Something about the right side feels a little bit cramped but I can't put my finger on it.

Puntan Dos Amantes by CM Yee, on Flickr

I know I screwed up with the observation platform shadow in the bottom left and I probably should have readjusted the polarizer for the right side of the pano.

I visited Guam in May and recognized this immediately. I actually like this picture the way it is.

Here's what it looks like looking down from that observation platform (where buying a drink is mandatory, but worth it).

My entry:

Taken with a Voiglander macro with the lens cap on. This is light leakage along the housing that extends when focusing and I like the pattern that it creates. ISO1600 noise was annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Followed my own advice. Much happier with this version.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

TsarAleksi posted:

edit: on my screen these are looking kind of fuzzy or badly re-rezed, is anyone else seeing this?

I really like this one. Nothing fuzzy about it.

Is this too cliché of a subject? I will play with the depth of field a bit more in the future, but the window of opportunity was really short and I had to bail for work.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, I redid it with a wider DOF and it's definitely better.

TsarAleksi posted:

The Golden Temple, Kyoto, Japan.

Where are the people? When I visited, the place was fuckin' packed.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I like the color and the abstract feel.

I do not like:
-the handful of lines of orange/red
-the not perfectly vertical lines on the righthand side

I am undecided on the imperfect out of focus circles. They don't bother me too much on the left, but the ones on the right are more bothersome.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I found an amazing view, but I don't really know how to capture it properly. I just have an old Nikon D3200 with the 18-55mm lens it came with.

I've been zooming in, and setting it on Auto, and then cropping out the top and bottom of the picture. What are some things I can do so that these pictures are more crisp?

On the first picture, I would edit (or adjust the exposure) such that (1) the sky is not as overexposed, and (2) the town in the foreground is just a silhouette with little to no detail detail visible.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Ah, that totally makes sense. Its not possible to do what I'm trying. You can't capture detail in a darker area and in the same shot have a bright sun. Thank you.

You could probably do a decent highlight and shadow recovery (with a proper sensor), but I find your subject is the sky while the city in the foreground doesn't contribute anything besides the idea that it's a city, so a silhouette with minimal detail would be sufficient.

Edit: Good job not trying to HDR the scene!

Edit2: Here is my take on a similar scene:

Self critique: I need to redo both with some clouds or fog.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 9, 2021

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I find the colors in the waterfall pic to be overly saturated.

I would be curious to see the pod pic with more back-illumination as I find front illuminated leaves to look bland. Then again, if it's just back illuminated the pod will perhaps look poo poo.

But either way, I am happy for you to be out again taking pictures.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Do people usually start with something in mind? A subject, theme, or something else?

I have various approaches.

1. No plan beyond "f/8 and be there".
2. A vague idea. For example: "It's foggy, I'll try to get something moody."
3. A reshoot of a previous picture that I hosed up for the first ten times.
4. A scene I noticed as I walked/drove by without a camera.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Dealing with poo poo light is a good skill to have. Imagine being at Tiananmen Square and telling Tank Man to please come back in a few hours.