Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
Please do a kickstarter or something. I want in on this. Any chance you'll work on blus for some of the other movies too? Atomic Brain, Hamlet, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
You simply must contact Criterion. I want a blu-ray of Manos, dammit! Maybe they can even get Hal Warren and Tarantino to do a commentary together...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is insane to look at the night and day difference in the well-known version of the film and the workprint version.

I'm saying this in all honesty: This is going to be a wildfire on the internet. I wouldn't be surprised if Ebert and AICN didn't have something about this find in the next week or so. I would probably would go see this at Ebertfest 12 if he brought this out.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

You simply must contact Criterion. I want a blu-ray of Manos, dammit! Maybe they can even get Hal Warren and Tarantino to do a commentary together...

I think getting Hal Warren to do anything these days will prove problematic.

OP, I hope to one day do something this cool. Much as I enjoy MST3K, I wonder if it hasn't discouraged interest in preserving older fringe movies on their own terms, rather than as "material", as it were. Here's hoping this inspires copycats.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Once this hits Reddit, it'll explode. It's a very widely known candidate for the worst film ever and it's got a lot of fun stories behind it. Having a transfer from that amazing film reel would be dream come true status. The Rifftrax folk might also be interested in putting it out, given that MST3K is reponsible for a considerable amount of the film's notoriety.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That is amazing. I was of the understanding that there are few 16mm prints of this in existence--Tarantino owns one, allegedly. You have easily the best copy of the worst movie ever made.

Dude.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I just want to add my voice to all the kudos for this and second FFD that this is easily one of the coolest things I've ever seen here. It really doesn't even look like the same film, and I'm curious to see how much of its incompetence is emphasized by the bad print, if that makes sense.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
I wonder what the guys at http://www.torgolives.com/ think. (Warning: obnoxiously flashy website)

If it's not all an elaborate troll, apparently they're working on a sequel with some of the original cast, and according to http://www.torgolives.com/hofhistory.html they're working on both a restoration of their own and a special edition with new sound editing and stuff, with help from Hal Warren's son Joe. They seem really connected if they're telling the truth. What kind of source are they working with?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

bowmore posted:

Put me down for a copy of the blu-ray. I would be happy to donate to this project.
I don't even own a blu-ray player and I would buy one.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Presto posted:

I don't even own a blu-ray player and I would buy one.
Neither do I! I have about 30 Blu-rays though for when I buy a player in the near future. But OP you should seriously contact Tarantino, I forgot he was a huge Manos fan.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

So, wait, does the title screen in the print also say "Fingers (finggers) of Fate"?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
This is amazing so I've stickied the thread for a little while.

Vira
Mar 6, 2007
I'm jealous, I wish I found poo poo this cool. Having watched the MST3K Manos not to long ago, seeing the difference in quality from those few stills is incredible.

Please keep us updated when all those previously mentioned awesome people start contacting you.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This is why I love SA. Holy balls.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Oh wow. I too thought this was just going to be a dumb thread talking about how not-lovely it is. This is seriously amazing.

As mentioned in the thread, you seriously need to contact anyone and everyone about this, especially Tarantino/his agents.

I seriously hope this gets off the ground and spreads like wildfire. I would buy a criterion for this in a second.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Holy poo poo, this is pretty excellent. poo poo, I'd buy a copy on principle.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Jeez, this is amazing. Hoping this gets the same kind of publicity that happens when somebody finds an old print of 'Metropolis' in a Costa Rica drugstore.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vira posted:

I'm jealous, I wish I found poo poo this cool. Having watched the MST3K Manos not to long ago, seeing the difference in quality from those few stills is incredible.

Please keep us updated when all those previously mentioned awesome people start contacting you.

MST3K at least used a proper video master, probably made from one of the 35mm prints in Emerson's holdings. The Alpha Video and even the Shout! Factory DVDs use a horrible quality VHS dub from a worn 16mm print. The master used on MST3K looks quite good for what was probably a transfer made in the late 1980s.

16mm Ektachrome can look amazing. Scorpio Rising (and Kenneth Anger's other color films) was shot on the same stock as Manos. This is how good it can look with proper restoration and digital cleanup (some NSFW):
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews45/magick_lantern_cycle_blu-ray.htm

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 23, 2011

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This looks fantastic and I'll definitely be getting a copy of the Blu-Ray when it's done. How long are you expecting it'll take for the restoration?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's absolutely wild to see such an infamously crappy film looking so crisp and gorgeous. This project is exciting as gently caress.

Definitely putting in a vote to get in touch with the New Beverley.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I have successfully informed Bill Corbett, of MST3K and now Rifftrax, of this amazing endeavor: https://twitter.com/#!/BillCorbett/status/139473147765325825

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My university has massive showings of The Room nearly every term. Do not underestimate the market that exists for such shockingly bad films. An HD version of Manos has the potential to be loving massive. You've started something wonderful.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
Echoing what everyone's said for the last page and a half, this is amazing and you are amazing. Those comparison shots are actually pretty breathtaking - the frame of the portrait of the Master looks so much more creepy now that its lumpy three-dimensional quality doesn't have the gently caress blurred out of it.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
This is bloody awesome.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
OP, I really really want to see you get tons of press, money, and respect for this.

Really, this is like watching a collection of celestial gases condense and form into a star. I'm giddy.

And Roger Ebert would be so all over this.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
This could end up being one of those once a decade pieces of film history that are never forgotten.

Someone who never even knew what they had sells a bunch of cardboard boxes so they can move, no one bids on the set, and it turns out to hold a beautiful condition work print of an infamous film that is better quality than any previously seen copy ever. Right at the beginning of the era where the public knowledge of the film is at it's peak, and right when the technology to capture the quality is finally available and becoming widespread.

Seriously. This is some stars-aligning kind of stuff.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Whoaaah, that's an incredible find. Excellent job.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

There are treasures everywhere, waiting to be found. This is awesome.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
Rescuing a notorious film from its seemingly inevitable deterioration.

Look at those frames.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
9 years from now:

Future Goon posted:

Hey guys, I was just out in the Mojave desert, shooting a student horror film for a film festival, and we found some stuff buried. It looks like 100,000 copies of the ET atari game, and some skeleton with a union card. Dunno what that's about.

That's the only discovery I can think of to top this one.

Edit: Also, Ben Solo, be honest: how long did you spend carefully placing those boxes, notepads, film canisters and individually placing packing peanuts to compose those photos of your discovery? Because all your non-film-frame photos are really pretty.

Cinnamon Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 24, 2011

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
This is a very cool discovery, and Shout Factory might be willing to throw some money at a full restoration project as well.

And almost more than Mike, you need to let Joel and Trace know about it too.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Definitely putting in a vote to get in touch with the New Beverley.

Should also contact Legend Films, Blue Underground, and Anchor Bay. Seems right up all their alleys, especially Legend.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is the greatest discovery in film history.

At the risk of being a party pooper, who actually owns the rights to Manos? I was re-released like two months ago by Shout Factory as part of a "MST3K Special Edition".

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
The feature is 70 minutes long, there's plenty of space on a DVD or BluRay to do something fun with this.

Like, include your own edit of the film.

Once the restoration is complete, the biggest faults with this film are the loving pacing and the terrible audio. Take all the awkward standing around, pointless two-minute long cut away shots and needlessly repeated lines, and show them the cutting room floor they never saw.

Go here, and jump to the 20:00 mark, watch until 22:40: http://www.archive.org/details/manos_the_hands_of_fate

Surely you can find a way to reduce that to down to thirty seconds.

We already know that all the dialogue is dubbed in. Why not shitcan it and replace it with your own audio track with new music and new voice actors? This is the stuff of legends to cult movie fans, you can probably find some music and film majors who would love to be part of this.

It would be interesting to see if you could turn this failure into something actually terrifying, even if it ends up being twenty minutes long.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Whatever you do, I'm buying a copy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This is absolutely amazing. Please reserve me a copy. You also might want to tell Joel and the others from Cinematic Titanic about this, considering they're the other half of the MST3K alumni and appeared a featurette about Manos for the recent Collector's DVD of the MST3K episode.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
This is really cool, but I'm going to laugh when the OP just never comes back and this project fades away into obscurity like every "goon project" of all time.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

oval office AND PASTE posted:

The feature is 70 minutes long, there's plenty of space on a DVD or BluRay to do something fun with this.

Like, include your own edit of the film.

Once the restoration is complete, the biggest faults with this film are the loving pacing and the terrible audio. Take all the awkward standing around, pointless two-minute long cut away shots and needlessly repeated lines, and show them the cutting room floor they never saw.

Go here, and jump to the 20:00 mark, watch until 22:40: http://www.archive.org/details/manos_the_hands_of_fate

Surely you can find a way to reduce that to down to thirty seconds.

We already know that all the dialogue is dubbed in. Why not shitcan it and replace it with your own audio track with new music and new voice actors? This is the stuff of legends to cult movie fans, you can probably find some music and film majors who would love to be part of this.

It would be interesting to see if you could turn this failure into something actually terrifying, even if it ends up being twenty minutes long.

If he did anything like that, it'd need to be alternate version that comes on the second disc of whatever release it might get. Cutting the original up, modifying it, and only releasing that version would get a lot of purists angry.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is the greatest discovery in film history.

At the risk of being a party pooper, who actually owns the rights to Manos? I was re-released like two months ago by Shout Factory as part of a "MST3K Special Edition".

No one, it's in the public domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

If he did anything like that, it'd need to be alternate version that comes on the second disc of whatever release it might get. Cutting the original up, modifying it, and only releasing that version would get a lot of purists angry.

oval office AND PASTE posted:

• Locked thread