Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

mafoose posted:

I've seen this on unsprung ACT disks in FWD applications. On those it was caused by wheel hop. I would imagine that chatter caused by excessive slipping on launch may have been partially to blame. They aren't really meant for street driving.

The STR clutch is a "street intended" clutch though. I'd expect this kind of stuff from ACT, but a company that's charging 1800+ for a twin disk needs to get their poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010
This is an issue with pretty much all the twin disks except for the quarter master gear drive. Though usually it chews up the input shaft. While increasing friction area the two disks have less actual surface area contact on the input shaft splines. Yours looks like the clutch disk splines weren't hardened, like at all. The gear drive uses one large splined area to contact the input shaft and the torque force between disks is carried by actual geared assemblies kind of inside the clutch.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

The STR clutch is a "street intended" clutch though. I'd expect this kind of stuff from ACT, but a company that's charging 1800+ for a twin disk needs to get their poo poo together.

And yet I've been running ACT clutches for years with nary a problem.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

And yet I've been running ACT clutches for years with nary a problem.

His DSM is obviously cursed much worse than yours.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sockington posted:

His DSM is obviously cursed much worse than yours.

Mine is cursed in other ways,....

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

I rubbed my blood on the valve cover, obviously i forgot to rub it on the clutch setup/transmission.

God damned stupid blood rituals.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Interestingly enough, OS Giken's own clutches in the R2CD trim (the one step up from mine), go to a floating (and sprung!!!!) center a la Quarter Master etc clutches. My other thought was to rebuild the clutch with those discs(they use the same mid plates/pressure plates/fly wheel as my current ruined clutch) rather than have them send me the solid discs.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 22, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So you are using an unsprung twin-disc? Why?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

jamal posted:

So you are using an unsprung twin-disc? Why?

Because I bought into the marketing and bullshit that OS Giken perpetuated that it would be good for a street clutch. I have a friend of mine who runs an OS Giken and loves it. They have a pretty good reputation and I figured I'd try to do the best I could for the car. My other friend runs an unsprung Quartermaster setup that has been launched hard many a times.

http://www.osgiken-jp.com/eng/products/strclutch.html

My previous clutch was an unsprung twin and other than slipping at higher loads (Which turned out to be a hydraulic issue) it was much better.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 23, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Finally finished swapping the clutch back over to the Competition clutch. I'm losing my will to work on this car and getting the transmission was waayyy longer than I thought it would take me normally (around 7 when it's usually 5 for me). I broke my normal slave which didn't help and the clutch line needs to be rebled because it's slipping on higher loads and the older slave isn't working very well with inconsistent pressure. At least replacing the slave is only a 30 minute job.

The dorks with my hood/sunroof plug are being the worst ever and I just want the hood/plug at this point after waiting 6 months!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

http://www.teamrip.com/clutch_info.html Interesting how he does not like unsprung twins at all.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Still no response from OS Giken. I'm thinking that these guys don't want to support their products at all and just want to brag about some time attaku cars. gently caress them.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 3, 2013

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Octopus Magic posted:

Octopus Magic posted:

Still no response from OS Giken. I'm thinking that these guys don't want to support their products at all and just want to brag about some time attaku cars. gently caress them.

Their "Contact Us" link on the page you posted above 404s. That's not a good sign.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Their "Contact Us" link on the page you posted above 404s. That's not a good sign.

http://www.osgiken.net/index.php

This is their main US site.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
I had a twinplate OS Giken clutch/flywheel in my 300ZX they swore up and down would be good for 700 ft-lbs. My stock turbo 300ZX ate both disks to <20% in about 10k miles, with very, very little abuse, maybe a dozen launches, if that. I feel you.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Hi Octopus Magic,

Please accept our apologies for the communication delays.

Their has been much debating with Japan regarding this clutch kit.

It seems that due to the transmission design of the early Evos,
There is some free play in the transmission, regardless of how well the unit is installed.

The degree of severity of free play varies greatly per vehicle. This issues was fixed with the introduction of the Evo 4.

If possible, we would like to offer to replace your kit with an R2CD clutch kit. Its center hub design will offer greater durability than the STR2C’s smaller hubs.

We will provide this clutch at free of charge.

Again, I apologize for the delays, as these talks with Japan took longer than expected.

If this is acceptable, I will send you a shipping label for your current broken clutch kit to be returned and will Fedex in the replacement R2CD clutch kit, in the meantime.

Please let me know.
Thank you.

Best Regards,

xxxx

WOoooooooooooo

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like to imagine that their conversation with Japan was entirely them sending the Japanese pictures of DSMs and the Japanese replying with various forms of confusion at what happened to those poor Evos.

quote:

There is some free play in the transmission,
It's a manufacturing tolerance to allow the crank room to move :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Hell yase, that's great news! We gonna have some AWD turbo action yet...

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Updates:

I have STILL yet to receive anything from OS Giken, or the carbon hood/sunroof plug guys. Both are avoiding my emails/contacts/posts/whatever.

I bellyached this complaint to DSMtooners in the group buy thread, and all I could get was snide replies that "oh serves you right for buying products"

The joys of working on a dying platform that's had its entire user base converted over to knock-off junk...

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Just buy a ACT 2600 and move on.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

MikeyTsi posted:

Truth. And has been repeated for months.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

I already paid 2k for a clutch. I don't feel like buying another flywheel.

In other news; my hood/sunroof plug has finally gotten a pickup date after months of nagging and hassling.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 5, 2014

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Man I don't wanna pop your jdm-love bubble but I ran a 2500buck dualplate (rated to "600 ft-lbs") OS Giken clutch and 5k LIGHT miles later both plates were blued and down to 20%, pieces of poo poo yo. Maybe I got a lemon, but I was quite pissed my 420ish hp 300zx killed that clutch without even a dragstrip run.

Revved like a sumbitch with a 9lbs flywheel and 9lbs plate assembly! So there's that

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 5, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Octopus Magic posted:

I already paid 2k for a clutch. I don't feel like buying another flywheel.

Ah yes, the sunk cost fallacy.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

"It's a $2000 clutch, gently caress off".

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

hood + plug came

The corners by the windshield broke in shipping because Carbonetics/Sergio didn't pad them well enough. GOSH D A R N IT!!!!! I am mega pissed that I've both paid so much and waited so long that the hood finally comes, and it arrives broken. At this point I'm going to take some epoxy/resin and smooth it out myself instead of waiting any more. I will never, ever buy anything from him again.

Shipped off the clutch to OS Giken for the R2CD clutch as well, might ship off the trans this spring to Jack's to have the trans input shaft replaced, depends on the spline play on the new clutch drive assembly.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Looks like the DSM aftermarket community takes as much care in design, engineering, and customer support as Mitsubishi did with making the cars. :thejoke:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Looks like the DSM aftermarket community takes as much care in design, engineering, and customer support as Mitsubishi did with making the cars. :thejoke:

More or less. :smith:

Playing the underdog sucks.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Not much progress, I threw in a new used PHW boost gauge to replace the flakey used one I bought a while back. Works much better. Also my fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose got disconnected somewhere along the lines so my fuel pressure wasn't matching the boost. Whoops. Still haven't mounted the hood or heard back from carbonetics. Lame.

Also there was a loss of a co-mechanic this past weekend. No more cat picture updates, which is definitely going to be a detriment on working on the car. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm so sorry about your kitty. :(

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Lost one of mine a month back, my sincere condolences.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

This is what you get when a sanctioning body requires you to get "matching restraints", and your friend wants his own expensive seat back, a 200 dollar Recaro SPG. Some day I might get a new cover, but for now I've got other priorities. I might put some patches on where the HANS wear is and call it a day also (FOR TRUE JAPANESE TEXTILE BORO STYLE).

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 8, 2014

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

It finally warmed up enough that I could start working again on the car:

Hello old friend, it's been a long winter.

Got the trans off within three hours, which is pretty darn speedy for a 2G IMHO. Air tools + no rust help out a lot. The input shaft feels good play wise, but has some lateral play that I don't really think is very healthy and would cause issues down the road, which means I have to send it out somewhere, just for my own precautions and not ruining another $$$ clutch, and having to drop the transmission, AGAIN

On the bright side I put my hood on:

Oohh sporty. I really need to get the car painted somehow.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I'm not sure that air filter is big enough.

:)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I'm going to be shipping the trans off sometime next week to TMZ transmissions to have the input shaft replaced with an EVO3 unit and an EVO3 first gear installed, along with the bearings for 5th gear to be checked out, and the whole trans cleaned/gone through. Probably going to be running me around 500-600 bucks without shipping but it gives me a much better peace of mind with the new big boy clutch. Still need to get a new passenger axle, but not too worried about that. Other than that things are pretty set, need to mount the passenger seat, throw some belts in the car, and maybe raise it a little so the car doesn't rub so much.

Oh yeah, and fix the clutch master linkage to the clutch pedal. I over extended the clutch pedal on adjustment.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 17, 2014

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Oh I dug this up also, this used to be my car:

looooooll

(I find it funny because while it looks cute, it had a shitload of issues/handled like a brick/had cheap parts all over the place, etc)

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 17, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Other than the awful canards that looks pretty nice.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Are those canards still on there?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

MikeyTsi posted:

Are those canards still on there?

No he ditched the Talon bumper for an Eclipse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

No he ditched the Talon bumper for an Eclipse.

Yes, I'm aware of this. I'm asking because I'm likely going to buy his old 2GB bumpers, and I want to know if I'm going to have to yank canards off of them or not.

• Locked thread