Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Really, that looks like some relatively minor surface rust. Take a wire brush to any screw or bolt heads before trying to put a screwdriver or socket on it, and you'll probably be fine. Hitting those with some PB Blaster and letting them soak would help as well.

It does not look like a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Octopus Magic posted:

I found this on my phone, this is the level of rust we're dealing with:

Umm, that's really completely normal amounts of rust for an exhaust manifold and heat shield on something that doesn't have a good oil leak to keep things fresh.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

DJ Commie posted:

Did the car spend that much time damp inside and out?

It spent about 5 years in a concrete, unsealed garage on the coast, under tarps, which was probably a dumb idea.

I should've just left it outside with a car cover.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Seconding the notion that there's nothing there to be wary of, other than perhaps your brake hardlines.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Haha too rusty. My 2010 Mazda 5 is in worse shape.

If that's too rusty for them, I'd hate to see their reactions to cars North of the border.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

So in your professional sock opinion, where would his Mitsubishi be on the sockington rust scale?

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!

Octopus Magic posted:

Well, I checked out the bay this morning, and the timing belt has a hole in it from something chewing on it. Not good. At all. :( Unfortunately, the only way to move it is to start the drat thing because the rotors are so corroded, so uh. low RPMs and lots of prayer.

I was going to take a metal brush to all the parts but honestly at this point I'd rather get the timing belt done, the engine sorted out and so forth, than worry about a few rusty bolts.

http://amsperformance.com/camtest.php

Here's the 4G63 cam test, amongst all the other talk. But that's way way further down the road.

It seems like the car is in decent shape except for the holy timing belt. :haw:

Here's what I'm thinking: What if you change the timing belt and fluids, and just drive the thing around town for awhile doing errands and commuting? After 50-75 cycles of getting to operating temperature and vibrations from driving, that should help to loosen things up a bit.

No thrashing it around, just cruising. Wouldn't that, and frequent applications of PB do the job?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

Haha too rusty. My 2010 Mazda 5 is in worse shape.

If that's too rusty for them, I'd hate to see their reactions to cars North of the border.
So.. are you angling for a new project, then? :v:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Do you have any pics of something like the front of the motor or the suspension where the rust wouldn't be as bad as the exhaust?

Rust can be really lovely to work with though. My 88 Integra spent a lot of time close to the beach before I bought it and it got a bit rusty, but not _really_ bad I thought(in my inexperience). When I had to replace a CV boot, the outer joint was rusted to the hub, so I couldn't remove the axle to replace the boot. I hammered on it, but eventually removed the whole spindle and axle to press it out. After my dad's HF 4 tons press didn't work, I gave it to a machine shop with a huge 10+ ton press to try to push the axle out of the hub. He laughed when I said it was pretty stuck and assured me it wouldn't be a problem.
When I went by the next day, he said he couldn't budge it. The press started flexing and bending and he stopped trying and just gave it back to me. I ended up ordering a whole half shaft from Autozone and getting a used spindle from the junkyard and throwing mine in the garbage..

Now that I think about it I also had to use a sawzall one night to cut off a captured nut from the rear suspension in order to replace the rear shocks because the bolt was rusted in there so bad.

In conclusion: gently caress rust

aventari fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 5, 2012

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
If I ever move back to MA, you have my wrench. No giving up (unless you buy an Evo).

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

I was talking to him this weekend, and he said there's sill/body seam rust. If that's the case, she might be a goner. :\ I'll probably take a look at it this weekend and figure out what I can do. The nice thing I actually can say is that I have enough cash on hand to buy a running or non running GSX and then pick/choose what I can off of my current car and transfer it over. Paint might be expensive though.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Be sure to take pictures when you do, I think we're all curious as to how much rust you're dealing with here.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Guess what I have? RUST PHOTOS!!

subframe

N1 is shot.

Front axle/suspension/brakes.

dampener

Gas tank

by strut tower by clutch master cylinder/power steering.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not sockington levels, but drat that's pretty bad :(

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
gently caress that. You've got rust places where normally salt wouldn't even get to. Combined with the moldy interior, I wouldn't touch it either.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Octopus Magic posted:

Guess what I have? RUST PHOTOS!!

RUST PHOTOS

My E30 was starting to go this way when I finally pulled it out of the moist unventilated garage I had it in. Thankfully I caught the problem in time. Did you have this thing parked in a dirt floored barn or something?

I mean, this is pretty bad. It reminds me of an Austin Healey Sprite parts car I pulled out of a leaky Brooklyn parking garage once, although that thing had been in there for more like 15 years.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Poured concrete garage with tarps over it. :(

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Octopus Magic posted:

dampener

That right there is the problem. Always use a damper when possible, dampeners just make things rusty. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Remember to pour a POR15 for your DSM. :smith:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

So after much soul searching, and realizing that I was being an idiot with the red car, I decided to look in other directions. Like clean cars/shells etc... After dealing with craigslist forever, and dealing with stupidity, I found one in Florida.

BEHOLD THE TALON (to be converted into a 2GB GSX with that front end and painted red, cuz Talons is ugly)

Gross body molding and wing!!

ick talon front end

Built seven bolt with MAFT

crabon hood

here's the list of partz:

Engine specs
Built short block 20k miles (180psi On all 4 +-2psi)
Arias pistons
eagle rods
nitrated crank
arp head studs
bc 272 cams
crower spring and ti retainers.
mishimoto radiator
fp 4inch intake
hallman boost controller
255 walbro
fic 850's

Hot parts
Fp 3052 turbo
Ported and coated stock manifold
tial waste gate , ext dump
apexi n1 exhaust system

Drivetrain
fresh rebuild on tranny (800 miles)
(with four gear spider/evo 3 shift forks/cryo treated gears)
Competition twin disk (800 miles)
b&m short throw shifter
new shifter cables
redline fluids throughout drivetrain.

Electronics
dsmlink v2.5
stewart warner 40 psi boost gauge
autometer egt
autometer oil pressure
aem uego wired to ecu for logging.
optima red top battery
push button start
gm maf and translator

I'm going to ship it via truck back to the shop my current car is at and then have them install the brakes/maybe redo the ball joints and check it over. I'm going to also tow my old eclipse back home, take what I want out of it (suspension, downpipe, Trust oil cooler, seat, steering wheel, roll bar, radio, HKS electronic boost controller, my nicer greddy gauges, etc), and maybe see if I can get 2 grand out of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Octopus Magic posted:

So after much soul searching, and realizing that I was being an idiot with the red car, I decided to look in other directions. Like clean cars/shells etc... After dealing with craigslist forever, and dealing with stupidity, I found one in Florida.

BEHOLD THE TALON (to be converted into a 2GB GSX with that front end and painted red, cuz Talons is ugly)

Hooray for new car!

So sad for old car.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Hooray for new car!

So sad for old car.

Yeah, it kinda sucks, but it is just a car. I'm pretty sure ~400 AWHP will solve my blues.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's a mighty clean new car you've got there. I'm kind of jealous of your ability to pluck workable (albeit racy) DSMs from the ether.

I could be retarded, but I prefer the Talon looks to the 2G Eclipse.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Keep the 2Gb Talon! I hate when Talons get converted to Eclipses :( Plus 2Gb Talons are extremely rare enough as is... especially a 97+ Silver one. You found one rare DSM soon to be converted to just another red eclipse.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

Keep the 2Gb Talon! I hate when Talons get converted to Eclipses :( Plus 2Gb Talons are extremely rare enough as is... especially a 97+ Silver one. You found one rare DSM soon to be converted to just another red eclipse.

Yeah but I strongly dislike 2G Talons and want to pretend I never let my poor red Eclipse down :(

I really really hate the wing on it.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

Yeah but I strongly dislike 2G Talons and want to pretend I never let my poor red Eclipse down :(

I really really hate the wing on it.

Then send me your Talon parts. I'll put them to good use :)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

Then send me your Talon parts. I'll put them to good use :)

Only if you do this:

But that's a 1995....

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Keep the Talon as is.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Keep the Talon as is.

but but but this is so kawaii (cute).

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just realized how apt the thread title is.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I just realized how apt the thread title is.

That was the point? :)

(also DSMs being fat and can't handle and run into icebergs)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Also they idle about as well as a cruise ship, in my experience.

Is that the only tranny rebuild it's been through, or does it like to pop gearboxes every couple of days?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Also they idle about as well as a cruise ship, in my experience.

Eh, if there's one thing I have to say about my old Eclipse, is that it idled rock solid.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
This thread inspired me to go looking for Eclipse videos and I found this gem at the top of the results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeB3AWIDvUo

Remember: friends don't let friends buy 3Gs anything after 2G (which is why that guy has one lmao)

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 23, 2012

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

This thread inspired me to go looking for Eclipse videos and I found this gem at the top of the results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeB3AWIDvUo

Remember: friends don't let friends buy 3Gs (which is why that guy has one lmao)

That's a 4th gen :ssh:

I was sad for a while the way Mitsubishi went, but I think I've gotten over it at this point.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Octopus Magic posted:

That's a 4th gen :ssh:

I don't think I'd cop to knowing that :v:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I much prefer this Eclipse video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnKWMHb5ecU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

OK, has anyone shipped a car? I'm hearing wildly varying prices/costs/and horrible stories from certain carriers etc.

I'm looking for basically the cheapest rates, I've had ranges from 500 to 800+, which is a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I shipped my Talon across the country with a reputable company. It showed up with a smashed front bumper, crushed intercooler, and seized engine. You're really better off flying down yourself and driving back. It will cost about the same I'd imagine.

• Locked thread