Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

BiggerBoat posted:

I have a lot of respect for anyone that even tries it. I can be funny here and there and have been described as funny by some but it's always contextual and based on things that are happening naturally unless it's a joke I'm telling. For the life of me, the idea of having to be funny at exactly 8pm on a thursday night in front of a bunch of people expecting to laugh is really daunting. Like, regardless of your mood, what kind of day you had, how long you had to work poo poo out (like you said), the pressure of really needing to deliver no matter the circumstances or the environment has to be intimidating, if not completely terrifying.

I've been to some open mic nights and have thought about trying it myself and even if they're not doing well I have a lot of respect for anyone who tries. BE FUNNY on command...NOW!...Man.

It's like...imagine the difference between even finding some funny poo poo to riff on at a party in a small group compared to how funny you might be if suddenly the whole party got silent and started listening to you tell your jokes.

I've been performing stand up for well over 10 years. I'm still pretty much just doing open mics and the occasional smaller show. I've recently seen people I used to do shows with as guests on some of the more popular podcasts, going on tour with big names, etc. It's cool to see, but of course there's a part of me that thinks I'm at least as funny as they are, why ain't I getting on shows? I know the answer has to do with self promotion and networking. Like those people set out to get famous; I just set out to do comedy. I never try to meet bookers or promoters; I've always just let them come to me. Of course when they've all got dozens of people hitting them up, they're not going to bother going to that one dude they saw that time who was pretty funny, but never asks about spots.

I get good responses most times I perform, and I'm well liked and respected in my local scene. Getting crowds to laugh comes pretty easily to me now, but put me in a party, in some conversation random people are having? No chance. I won't have anything to add. Definitely a large part of that is the autism and my weirdness in social situations. I also tend to be really quiet, so being the only person with a microphone helps me a lot.

Anyway, all that's just to say keep going to open mics! They all need audience members who aren't comics too wrapped up in their own stuff to pay attention. Yes, a lot of the people will be new and not funny, but the sets are short enough, and like you said, watching people's bits develop over time is fun. If you stick around the same scene long enough, you can see the comics themselves grow and develop, not just their material. And if you keep going, eventually you will put your name on the list.

Really, as someone who grew up pretty lonely and outcast, getting a room full of strangers to smile and laugh with just some words I thought of has been one of the best feelings I've had in my life. There's a real human connection there I find difficult to make in other circumstances.

e: Included the post to which I was replying, on account of the new page

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

BiggerBoat posted:

I have a lot of respect for anyone that even tries it. I can be funny here and there and have been described as funny by some but it's always contextual and based on things that are happening naturally unless it's a joke I'm telling. For the life of me, the idea of having to be funny at exactly 8pm on a thursday night in front of a bunch of people expecting to laugh is really daunting. Like, regardless of your mood, what kind of day you had, how long you had to work poo poo out (like you said), the pressure of really needing to deliver no matter the circumstances or the environment has to be intimidating, if not completely terrifying.

I've been to some open mic nights and have thought about trying it myself and even if they're not doing well I have a lot of respect for anyone who tries. BE FUNNY on command...NOW!...Man.

It's like...imagine the difference between even finding some funny poo poo to riff on at a party in a small group compared to how funny you might be if suddenly the whole party got silent and started listening to you tell your jokes.

Hey, being funny on command is a skill, and like any skill you can train it and get better. Stand up is a bit different from the scenario you're afraid of, because people are there to laugh and be told jokes. It does take a while to get good, and you'll bomb a lot when you're starting out, but the good news about that is no one at that open mic will remember you bombing unless you say something heinously bigoted or something. And since you're probably not the type to pull that poo poo, guess what? You're already ahead of the bottom 30% of people at open mics! You can just keep building up jokes and your ability to tell them and one day you'll be able to say " hey I can kind of do this" and then a while later, if you stick with it, "Hey I can really do this!"

All that said, hitting open mics is a lot of work, and standups as a culture of people can be a very fun hang or kind of a lot. Or both! Personally it's why I stick to sketch and script-writing, because I get overwhelmed pretty easily. But in any sub-culture, you can also find your people, and there are plenty of standups who are nice and who you'll want to spend time with.

tl;dr You can do this if you want to, everyone else started out from where you are right now too, it's just a matter of how long they've been doing it.

EDIT

skeletronics posted:

Better advice than mine
Listen to skeletronics!

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 5, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Open mic culture is exhausting and I cannot deal with those people long term. Maybe if I was younger and single?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

skeletronics posted:

I've been performing stand up for well over 10 years. I'm still pretty much just doing open mics and the occasional smaller show.

Might make a cool Ask/Tell thread

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

BiggerBoat posted:

Might make a cool Ask/Tell thread

Especially if you want to practice crowd work.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_97zE4GRZk

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Coco13 posted:

Especially if you want to practice crowd work.

Hmm, I never thought amateur comedy was all that interesting, but maybe I've just been in it too long. I might do that.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I haven’t watched this yet but am excited too. We just started watching Joe Pera Talks to You and are absolutely loving it.

mousetrench
Apr 3, 2008

We need to paint inspirational murals in urban areas.
They got one here of a hotdog stabbin Ghandi while he's sittin on the toilet cryin.
It says "may ur dreams soar forever...."
The new Joe Pera special is great. I suspect pretty much anyone who liked his show will enjoy it.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I watched The Road Dog starring Doug Stanhope. Thought it was excellent. It's about comedy, but is not a comedy movie. It did get a couple laughs out of me, as well as some actual tears. I'd heard Stanhope say in a podcast that if you've read Sam Tallent's book Running the Light, it's essentially the same story and it is. (That book is also excellent, incidentally.)

Most of the bits of stand up we do see Doug's character perform in the movie did come straight from his old acts so if you're a Stanhope fan, those parts will be familiar.

Anyway, it's worth watching. I'd recommend it to any fan of stand up.

Also Greg Fitzsimmons is in it and I got to tell my girlfriend "Oh remember we saw him in the parking lot of that pizza joint" because covid made comedy weird for a while.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

skeletronics posted:

I watched The Road Dog starring Doug Stanhope. Thought it was excellent. It's about comedy, but is not a comedy movie. It did get a couple laughs out of me, as well as some actual tears. I'd heard Stanhope say in a podcast that if you've read Sam Tallent's book Running the Light, it's essentially the same story and it is. (That book is also excellent, incidentally.)

Most of the bits of stand up we do see Doug's character perform in the movie did come straight from his old acts so if you're a Stanhope fan, those parts will be familiar.

Also Greg Fitzsimmons is in it and I got to tell my girlfriend "Oh remember we saw him in the parking lot of that pizza joint" because covid made comedy weird for a while.

Stanhope was incredible in that episode of Louie about the suicidal comic. I look forward to seeing him in a full-length feature. I'll check it out soon and post my review.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

skeletronics posted:

I just watched it and agree. It's definitely not a funny movie to watch looking for something light, it's a heavy movie. Near the end I thought "Wow they wrapped that up a bit too quickly and neatly, everyone's happy now huh". Then "Ah, I see, I wonder how they'll resolve this?" And then "...oh, they don't resolve it." Man what a dark ending, but I'm glad he ended it that way. Makes the movie feel realer.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Just saw Maria Bamford with a decent amount of new material, and I highly recommend seeing her if you get the chance. One of my favorite shows in a while.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Caught Eddie* Izzard earlier this week and that was a particularly odd but enjoyable show. Easily the longest single-comedian show I've seen because she took an intermission and did a second hour after the break, but on both parts, the opening was real rough on each part until she built up a rhythm (again). The name of the tour being "the Remix Tour" also fit in that part of the material was callback based and I kinda hated the incredibly drunk crowd blowing up every time she did the build into dropping "cake or death" or "Darth Vader" or older bits slamming on the brakes to her routine.

The best parts were some of the absurdist tangents she got to in the middle of new material, like this bizarre chunk where the only time she really touched on the whole trans issue was through the lens of TERF seagulls. There was also a chunk that I'm sure would have hit better if I were more fluent in French because she did an extended bit about trying to translate her comedy to a few other languages and the few jokes that didn't work. Great stuff, but I was a loving wreck the next day because I'm getting old and a double-length show really took it out of me on a weeknight.

* I know she's going by Suzy Izzard in places but the tour, all her merch, my ticket, and a trailer for a movie she's doing this month are all using "Eddie", so...

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
We saw Patton Oswalt in Atlanta Friday and it was a delight. We missed his last tour when he was working on We All Scream and the filmed special was not so good to us - it felt like a lot of pandemic rust getting shaken off. This show was super casual and the smallest venue I’ve ever seen a big name in. The opener was great (Orlando Leyba) and Patton made his 40 minutes feel like much more.

We recently saw Michael Che and Colin Jost with Marcelo Hernandez opening before the strike ended and that was a wild show, but everyone including the hosts were quite drunk. I’d rather have seen another half hour of Patton, though. I’d go see a Marcelo show too, he was very polished.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Great time at the Comedy Cellar's Village Underground on Friday, so good. The host Ardie Fuqua rules, and his interplay with Rich Vos was so funny, lotta roasting. Eleanor Kerrigan stole the show. Tony Woods and Daniel Simonsen are really funny too, the whole show rocked.

And last month I saw Esther Povitsky at the Wilbur, she rules. Also was nice that she gave a shout-out to Brody Stevens, so got to applaud for one of my ol' favs there too, good times.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

What's the thread consensus on Kyle Kinane? I'm debating going to see him tonight but just want to know if he's appreciated or sucks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
He rules go see him.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Top tier.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
My wife said her face hurt from laughing so much when we saw him in September. Do not hesitate.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I gotta watch the new Shane Torres special, he just did a double week on All Fantasy Everything.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Lumbermouth posted:

I gotta watch the new Shane Torres special, he just did a double week on All Fantasy Everything.

Oh great…

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

What's the thread consensus on Kyle Kinane? I'm debating going to see him tonight but just want to know if he's appreciated or sucks.

Not just one of the best stand-ups I've ever seen live, but probably in my all-time Top Five.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Found out with an hours notice that the ridiculously priced John Mulaney tickets tonight have been slashed but it’s just too late to get ready and deal with traffic.

But if he’s playing your area soon and you were put off by horrendous prices, might be worth checking again.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Everyone was right, Kinane was hilarious and I'm very excited to have a back catalogue to dive into.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
So this happened.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ive liked a lot of stanhopes comedy but he seems to be constantly on the verge of suicide and/or bankruptcy

thats screenshot is dark though

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is he in a cafeteria?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

He was in a diner attached to a comedy club.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

idk but kyle kinane's delivery is basically louis ck

better jokes for a bit but stil hes great he should work on idk a persona

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Im gonna try to find time to see Bamford's new show in the next week. Is it on Apple's streaming service, or you pay a fee for just the special?

I saw this on youtube recently, Django Gold's "Bag of Tricks". Its a solid special with a slightly Norm Macdonald type of delivery at times. Really good for a first special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk4rV2_Z4sw

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
In honor of Tommy Smothers' passing I wanna post this

The Late Tommy Smothers Was Canceled Back When That Meant Something

https://www.cracked.com/article_40618_the-late-tommy-smothers-was-canceled-back-when-that-meant-something.html

Cracked article I know but a decent read and also some good YT videos.

Reason I put it here is because of all the "you can't make jokes no more" cancel culture bullshit and the Smothers Brothers were on the forefront of that stuff. Buttoned up squares hated this material and I love how they pulled off so much subversive, counterculture material by looking like they just came from church or some poo poo.

Smothers Brothers were loving great and well ahead of their time.

If you don't wanna click the CRACKED article, here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMm3j6MB5Ys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n-kMI25ZcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHETC5qAnqo

If these don't do it for you, Liberace getting pulled over by a cop is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biPiMrgHMpo

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 27, 2023

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Super Dave Einstein, brother of Al Brooks was a writer on the smothers brothers power hour. They fostered a lot of young talent in Hollywood back then apparently.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I lol every time I realize Albert Brooks took a stage name so he wouldn't be Albert Einstein in movie credits.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Super Dave Einstein, brother of Al Brooks was a writer on the smothers brothers power hour. They fostered a lot of young talent in Hollywood back then apparently.

I was reading about the Smothers Brothers today, and for a couple of square-looking folk singers, their show was really cutting edge counterculture in the late '60s, kind of like SNL before SNL (and back when SNL was actually SNL). Steve Martin also wrote for the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Odddzy posted:

You mean Bob Einstein, who played a character named Super Dave Osborne.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Any good new specials out on Netflix or YouTube?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shane Torres and Sam Tallent both have new specials that are great. Both on YouTube

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

empty baggie posted:

You mean Bob Einstein, who played a character named Super Dave Osborne.

Thanks Einstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Medullah posted:

Any good new specials out on Netflix or YouTube?

Sam Tallent's special is stellar. The Toad's Morale, on YT