Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Medullah posted:

Any good new specials out on Netflix or YouTube?

Certainly not Chapelle's. More tiresome talk about trans people and being 'cancelled'. Even the people who usually get angry at this sort of thing can't muster up the energy to get angry about it any more. The surest sign that you've lost the juice as a comedian is when you spend half the time talking about famous people that you know.

It's no surprise to see Gervais walk the same ground, though in his case it's like being cornered by that Uncle you used to think was funny but watches too much conservative news so now all his 'bits' are just spiteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DrVenkman posted:

Certainly not Chapelle's. More tiresome talk about trans people and being 'cancelled'. Even the people who usually get angry at this sort of thing can't muster up the energy to get angry about it any more. The surest sign that you've lost the juice as a comedian is when you spend half the time talking about famous people that you know.

It's no surprise to see Gervais walk the same ground, though in his case it's like being cornered by that Uncle you used to think was funny but watches too much conservative news so now all his 'bits' are just spiteful.

Yeah I've been a bit more lenient on Chappelle than others since I like to let comedians get a bit of a free pass since it's comedy, but his latest special is just boring. He does the thing where he tries to tell a deep emotional story, but it just comes across as being extremely non genuine. And his trans humor wasn't even clever, it was just "HA I'm gonna get yelled at again TRANS TRANS TRANS"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Medullah posted:

My favorite stand-up comedy specials that came out in 2023:

Joe Pera - Slow and Steady (watch for free at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_97zE4GRZk)

Kyle Kinane - Shocks and Struts (watch for free at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWR4AMqfTNA)

It wasn't a very funny year, but these were great.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah I've been a bit more lenient on Chappelle than others since I like to let comedians get a bit of a free pass since it's comedy, but his latest special is just boring. He does the thing where he tries to tell a deep emotional story, but it just comes across as being extremely non genuine. And his trans humor wasn't even clever, it was just "HA I'm gonna get yelled at again TRANS TRANS TRANS"

I think he's just reached the point where he's going to make millions whether he's funny or not so he doesn't even have to try. There have been some funny older comedians, and some funny rich comedians, but 50 and astronomically rich is not the best combination for comedy. Going to the same well over and over again on trans stuff is just being a hack at this point, but as long as a segment of the audience is clapping like seals I guess he's fine with that. The hypocrisy of it all coming from the same guy who quit his own show because he realized some of the audience was enjoying it for the wrong reason is the weirdest part to me, but whether he's unable to see any link or just doesn't care, he's just a boring old guy now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Katt Williams said some stuff (many of which I agree with)

https://www.avclub.com/katt-williams-shannon-sharpe-club-shay-shay-podcast-1851141712

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Medullah posted:

I just saw Nick Mullen: The Year of the Dragon on youtube. looks like it came out a month ago? I thought it was very funny.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

"I said both of them guys?!"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
drat, literally the day before yesterday my daughter asked me why Cedrick was famous and I had no idea other than “was a standup, but not like a crazy great one”. I was wondering after that if he was like Earthquake, a black comic that’s HUGE that most yppl don’t know, but funny Earthquake clips show up from time-to-time and I’ve never seen a Cedrick clip forwarded to me.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 6, 2024

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I love Katt Williams. Someone else pointed out the key to some of his lunacy is that he'll say some poo poo that's true and then hit you with an outrageous lie. Like he talks this stuff about Steve Harvey and Bernie Mac and then he's claiming that he read 3,000 books when he was 8 years old. But it's a real sad state of affairs when multiple comedians have hit back at Williams and not one of them has said anything funny.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

just lol if you werent reading 300 books a day every day when you were 8

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

d0grent posted:

just lol if you werent reading 300 books a day every day when you were 8

I was a little freak when I was in 2nd grade and read at a high school level, was reading probably 4 books a week. And that was crazy excessive.

Luckily my reading level stayed at 10th grade and now I'm just dumb

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Medullah posted:

I was a little freak when I was in 2nd grade and read at a high school level, was reading probably 4 books a week. And that was crazy excessive.

Luckily my reading level stayed at 10th grade and now I'm just dumb

I had to double check that I didn't write this in a fugue state.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Same but now I couldn't read a book if I tried

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

escape artist posted:

Sam Tallent's special is stellar. The Toad's Morale, on YT

Watching this right now, it's fuckin great!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Will, you just made the list

https://vxtwitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1745293052657492262

I find this especially offensive because I loved George's work. But I can only imagine what his loved ones think (aside from Kelly who already condemned it)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 11, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I find this especially offensive because I loved George's work. But I can only imagine what his loved ones think (aside from Kelly who already condemned it)

Yeah holy poo poo, I never really liked Will Sasso but this is absolute bullshit. AI is going to cause a lot of problems in the creative world.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
:ughh:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

I had seen things about the AI Carlin "special" and didn't realize it was being done by someone who ought to know better. This sucks.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kONMe7YnO8

i made only about a minute into it. it's really loving gross and creepy

edit: you know how if you roll silly putty onto a newspaper, it makes a little "copy"? this is like if someone blew up a badly compressed .jpg of george carlin, xeroxed it about a hundred times, then rolled a turd over it.

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 11, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Slightly Absurd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kONMe7YnO8

i made only about a minute into it. it's really loving gross and creepy

edit: you know how if you roll silly putty onto a newspaper, it makes a little "copy"? this is like if someone blew up a badly compressed .jpg of george carlin, xeroxed it about a hundred times, then rolled a turd over it.

the thing of comparing it to an impression is I think actually a good analogy because you know what? If a comedian studied George Carlin and did an entire special that was an impression of George Carlin talking about how he feels about stuff now that he's dead - I would also think that was creepy and loving weird! This just also happens to be low effort on top of both of those other things!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I remember in college when open mics made a huge comeback in Seattle (2003 or so?) I saw MANY dudes who were aping Mitch Hedberg so hard the only thing they were missing was the crippling drug addiction.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I remember in college when open mics made a huge comeback in Seattle (2003 or so?) I saw MANY dudes who were aping Mitch Hedberg so hard the only thing they were missing was the crippling drug addiction.

i mean the amount of guys in stand up impersonating Louis CK from like 2008 to 2016 was insane

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i mean the amount of guys in stand up impersonating Louis CK from like 2008 to 2016 was insane

Not just in standup, but walking around in public too

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not standup, but I had to fly out the country so my girlfriend is sending me phone clips of Eric Andre singing Rage Against the Machine and Seal tracks from the show in Miami I was supposed to be at tonight. It didn’t advertise in what capacity he’d be there, but it just sounds a good old fun time.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Jacqueline Novak's "Get On Your Knees" was recently added to Netflix, and it is one of the most unique, refreshing, clever stand-up specials I've ever seen. Her whole set stuck to one major theme but never dragged, and her energy, delivery, and use of language were so impressive. I was blown away.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you’re tempted to listen to the CBB episode she was on to promote the show, eh maybe give that one a skip.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SpacePig posted:

I had seen things about the AI Carlin "special" and didn't realize it was being done by someone who ought to know better. This sucks.

Carlin's daughter is suing the makers of the AI generated thing and I hope she wins. I already think the genie is out of the bottle on AI but a legal victory here in the early stages of this poo poo will help a lot.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Jacqueline Novak's "Get On Your Knees" was recently added to Netflix, and it is one of the most unique, refreshing, clever stand-up specials I've ever seen. Her whole set stuck to one major theme but never dragged, and her energy, delivery, and use of language were so impressive. I was blown away.

Oh hell yes. I saw this twice live and it's one of the best one-person shows I've seen. Really great exploration of a single theme with tangents, I second this recommendation wholeheartedly.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

BiggerBoat posted:

Carlin's daughter is suing the makers of the AI generated thing and I hope she wins. I already think the genie is out of the bottle on AI but a legal victory here in the early stages of this poo poo will help a lot.

The special begins with a ton of disclaimers saying that it's an "impression" of Carlin and clarifying it's not really him, etc, which puts Kelly & co in a very difficult position to win imo (even though I would like them to shut this poo poo down)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Oh hell yes. I saw this twice live and it's one of the best one-person shows I've seen. Really great exploration of a single theme with tangents, I second this recommendation wholeheartedly.

Oh man I'm watching it now and she's great.

But I'm getting exhausted, her energy level is off the charts

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Riptor posted:

The special begins with a ton of disclaimers saying that it's an "impression" of Carlin and clarifying it's not really him, etc, which puts Kelly & co in a very difficult position to win imo (even though I would like them to shut this poo poo down)

They're using his image and reproducing his voice, though. If the current stuff about copyright and llms comes down in favor of the copyright holders, then they absolutely have a case. That stuff is all "trained on" his copyrighted work.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife is a big fan. I was unfamiliar with her work, but she bought us tickets to her show last year. I had fears that it was a dreaded "one-woman" show (on Maron this week, they make fun of the part of the show where the comedian gets emotional, calling it the "wanky bit"), but it was so fresh and funny. She won me over almost instantly.

Haven't seen the Netflix special yet, but I want to, which is unusual. I typically don't watch the specials of comedians where I saw their set live.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SpacePig posted:

They're using his image and reproducing his voice, though. If the current stuff about copyright and llms comes down in favor of the copyright holders, then they absolutely have a case. That stuff is all "trained on" his copyrighted work.

A lot of parody and satire, sketch comedy in particular, uses the image and names of real life people without permission. The marketing and content of the special make that very clear that it's not actually George Carlin but an facsimile generated by an AI.

Except that isn't true, it's just more storytelling. Chad Kultgen wrote it, the fictional AI is a framing device used as part of a meta narrative. This could be seen as a lie, but then so could pro wrestling.

There's unanswered questions about how far parody and satire can allow for the use of celebrity likeness, but this case won't answer the copyright question.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 28, 2024

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1751670561606971895

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The good news is, when everyone was saying that it sucked poo poo it meant it was hurting someone’s feelings.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I thought they had already said it was human written?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

holefoods posted:

I thought they had already said it was human written?

I thought the idea was they fed AI Carlin specials, then used the generated material to write a special

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I thought the idea was they fed AI Carlin specials, then used the generated material to write a special

That's what they said originally but I'm pretty sure it's been proven that it was written by the one dude and then AI was used to get Carlin to say everything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/seanmcloughlin/status/1751179634845048859

I enjoyed this joke far more than I was expecting to given it’s the show I associate with the awful Michael McIntyre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm going to see Tim Robinson in April and I'm pretty pumped about it. I have no idea how his stand up will be