Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Glitterbomber posted:

Another gay guy who can't stand Cho and Lampanelli et all. It feels exactly like pandering, she's not really making any jokes she's just kinda going "HEY! GAY STUFF! YEEEEEEEEEA!" and like, yea ok I'm down with that but there's nothing actually funny or entertaining in that.

Lampenelli makes me straight up uncomfortable. I guess it not my place to get offended or uncomfortable for black people being a white guy, but to me, just because you gently caress black people does not give you carte blanche to just be racist ironically. And her stuff is just racist, especially when she talks about Mexicans or Asians or whatever, since her little get out of jail free card does not exist for them, but she acts like it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Popelmon posted:

Were you looking for the Nerdist thread? Because I'm really looking forward to listening to that episode.

poo poo, I totally was. :doh:

Well, in stuff that's relevant for this thread, I'm going to the taping of Chris Hardwick's standup special on Friday, really looking forward to it - I saw him do a standup set before a live Nerdist podcast and it was hilarious.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Doug Stanhope is coming out with a new album soon.

I think this is the Salt Lake City show he was talking about filming awhile back.

quote:

"Before Turning The Gun On Himself" is available to pre-order on iTunes ahead of release on March 6, with the companion DVD to be released later this year.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Jim Gaffigan has been inspired by Louis CK to release his upcoming special exclusively on his website as a $5 download, with 1 dollar from each sale going to a charity serving wounded Veterans.
http://www.whosay.com/jimgaffigan/content/218011?code=cjN1qtN

Jim Gaffigan posted:

Dear Internet Friends,

Inspired by the brilliant Louis CK, I have decided to debut my all-new hour stand-up special on my website, Jimgaffigan.com.

Beginning sometime in April, “Jim Gaffigan: Mr. Universe” will be available exclusively for download for only $5. A dollar from each download will go directly to The Bob Woodruff Foundation; a charity dedicated to serving injured
Veterans and their families.

I am confident that the low price of my new comedy special and the fact that 20% of each $5 download will be donated to this very noble cause will prevent people from stealing it. Maybe I’m being naïve, but I trust you guys. Besides who would want the karma of stealing money from wounded Veterans? Come on you guys. How dare you even think about it?

I know I am taking a risk here. People I respect have advised me to take the safer, more traditional route with the premiere of the special. However, I am incredibly motivated by the courage of Louie to offer his fans direct access for a low price. Buyers of my special can be assured that their money will go directly to feeding and raising my four children instead of a giant corporation. I will self-produce a high quality special with all new material that will be incredibly easy to download and then you will own it. Forever. For $5. Roughly the price of five packs of Ramen Noodles. And believe me my special is going to be much better than five packs of disgusting Ramen Noodles. Gross.

Not going with a big corporation means I wont have any advertising. There will be no bells and whistles or billboards but maybe you can help. If you like the special, tell you friends to download it too. That’s the best kind of advertising anyway.

I must admit that I have not felt this excited and nervous since I first tried stand up over 100 years ago. It’s humbling to take a risk that you are not sure will work. You don't know if a joke will bomb unless you try it.

If no one buys the special or if lots of people steal it then I suppose I will lose a lot of money and have egg on my face. But then again I have four kids so I am always losing money and usually have egg or some kind of food on my face so it might just feel normal.

Let me know what you think.

Your Best Friend,

Jim

This is awesome, and I can't wait to buy it.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I haven't heard any of Gaffigan's stuff but this seems like a good time to check him out on principle. If 2 comedians have big success with this in a row it could maybe start a thing :shobon:

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Jim Gaffigan was the first comedian I ever saw live and he was great, so I'm definitely on board with this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, Gaffigan's a good comic in my opinion and is successful at keeping it clean without getting too hokey.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

DerbyTime!!! posted:

I haven't heard any of Gaffigan's stuff but this seems like a good time to check him out on principle. If 2 comedians have big success with this in a row it could maybe start a thing :shobon:
I think it's on the same level of Radiohead's pay-what-you-want experiment, in that you already have to be someone big enough for people to care about in order for these things to work.

But yeah, I do hope it catches on in general. Paying $20 for a DVD of a comedy special was almost never an option for me and I would wait until it was on Netflix or something. But $5 is a no-brainer.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

DerbyTime!!! posted:

I've never met someone that didn't like Jim Gaffigan's standup.

Start anywhere and enjoy yourself.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I'm glad someone else is trying this out. I'm surprised it was Gaffigan, of all people. I really like his style, even if everyone else in my family hates him for some reason. I just hope he doesn't revisit the Hot Pockets bit.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I haven't seen much Gaffigan, but his "inner voice" schtick gets old really, really fast. Is that his gimmick, or did he just do it incessantly in that one special?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think it was just for King Baby, because I don't remember him doing it at all in Beyond the Pale or on his Comedy Central Presents episode. It did get grating really quickly, though, since there were times he would do a solid minute of them.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

SpacePig posted:

I think it was just for King Baby, because I don't remember him doing it at all in Beyond the Pale or on his Comedy Central Presents episode. It did get grating really quickly, though, since there were times he would do a solid minute of them.

He did it a ton in Beyond the Pale, I think maybe less in King Baby (I haven't listened to that one in a while). I find it funny but can see how it could be grating after a while.

I look forward to this, I think he's a funny dude and seems like a good guy so hopefully it works out. Definitely curious to see what kind of sales he does since he doesn't have the name recognition of a guy like Louis.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Sexy Randal posted:

He did it a ton in Beyond the Pale, I think maybe less in King Baby (I haven't listened to that one in a while). I find it funny but can see how it could be grating after a while.

I look forward to this, I think he's a funny dude and seems like a good guy so hopefully it works out. Definitely curious to see what kind of sales he does since he doesn't have the name recognition of a guy like Louis.

OK, as I was typing a response, I remembered him pretty much starting Beyond the Pale with one of those, and it happening a bunch throughout. I guess it didn't start to wear on me until King Baby, then. Sorry for the misinformation!

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Yeah he really toned it down in King Baby, but christ, it slayed me in Beyond the Pale. I was actually kind of bummed that he eased up on it. I guess it's better that he's trying not to have it be his "thing" but that "I didn't know he was going to do bear jokes" part still keeps me awake at night giggling.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Just watched "I Am Comic" a few weeks ago, and Gaffigan complained (complained is probably the wrong word, since he seems to consider it a compliment to be recognized) that people will just yell HOOOOOOOT POCKET at him on the street, and he doesn't really know how to respond to that. Sounded like he didn't really want to have that be his "git 'er dun"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Howdy posted:

Just watched "I Am Comic" a few weeks ago, and Gaffigan complained (complained is probably the wrong word, since he seems to consider it a compliment to be recognized) that people will just yell HOOOOOOOT POCKET at him on the street, and he doesn't really know how to respond to that. Sounded like he didn't really want to have that be his "git 'er dun"

I'll admit that hearing the Hot Pockets bit on Comedy Central Presents is what roped me into listening to him more, but it kida makes me sad that it's become that for him. I remember listening to King Baby for the first time and hearing him mention the words "Hot Pocket", and then hearing the audience go absolutely nuts. The worst.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjWiK7akpzA

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like being the town crier, because GARFUNKEL AND OATES RELEASED AN ALBUM!!!!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I saw John Oliver perform at the DC Improv this weekend, and he was phenomenal. Bill Burr did a drop-in beforehand, too, so that was pretty cool. Even the feature act, Jeff Maurer (I think?), was solid. Yay live comedy!

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Howdy posted:

He talks about it a little on the interview he did for Marc Maron's podcast. He said it was just one bit among many in his act and he was baffled as to why it was that one people latched on to.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

BobTheCow posted:

I saw John Oliver perform at the DC Improv this weekend, and he was phenomenal. Bill Burr did a drop-in beforehand, too, so that was pretty cool. Even the feature act, Jeff Maurer (I think?), was solid. Yay live comedy!

Maurer's a local dude that's quite funny...he's got an album (Smart Setups, Stupid Punchlines) worth checking out.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Seriously I was hoping someone would have mentioned Kumail Nanjiani by now but w/e http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cvKcGVy6k watch that its literally one of the funniest things ever.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Doug Stanhope's new album is up at Amazon. $6.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B007B6VQJA

It's also on iTunes but for $9.99 there

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/before-turning-gun-on-himself/id500707024

- edit I'm almost done listening to it and it is really good. He almost sounds a bit panicked through parts of it but I would still say it's better than his last two CDs.

- edit 2 Have three minutes left and he didn't do the joke the title of the cd is based off of. Which is funny because I have the worst sourced audience bootleg ever that does and I remember it being funny.

- edit 3 Actually, he did something in the vein of it on Oslo but basically he's just talking about how he use to have a point and thought he could change the world that way but now he just wants to go kill some people. "I just want to go out with some natches on my belt. -- All of this material is being put together for my soon-to-be posthumously released DVD, Doug Stanhope - Before Turning The Gun On Himself. How could we have stop this? How could we have seen this coming? He talked about it on stage every night for like three loving years in front of a lot of people. You might have noticed something was awry when I was at the loving shooting range and all my targets instead of like a bandit with the loving mask on, my targets were like a guy with a briefcase and a suit on running away or a women trying to shield her baby from the bullets"

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 8, 2012

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Politicalrancor posted:

Seriously I was hoping someone would have mentioned Kumail Nanjiani by now but w/e http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cvKcGVy6k watch that its literally one of the funniest things ever.

Kumail is great, I'm seeing him live in a few months. I really wish he'd come out with a damned album or special or something, the only material out there is random youtube clips.

His Indoor Kids podcast is also pretty good if you like video games.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Got in a twitter argument with Doug Benson about Uganda today. Wasn't expecting that.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Sexy Randal posted:

Kumail is great, I'm seeing him live in a few months. I really wish he'd come out with a damned album or special or something, the only material out there is random youtube clips.

His Indoor Kids podcast is also pretty good if you like video games.

I've seen him a couple times and he is always hilarious. He does a weekly show at meltdown comics in LA.

Also they taped one for nerdist podcast http://www.nerdist.com/2010/12/nerdist-podcast-51-comedians-you-should-know/

you're welcome :)

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Aziz Ansari put out his own Louis CK special (this is the new generic term for a 5$ internet-only no DRM self-produced comedy special) without much fanfare. More to come from Jim Gaffigan (with more fanfare) and Joe Rogan in the months to come.

Louis CK: Comedy Edison.

edit: https://www.azizansari.com

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 20, 2012

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Great news to wake up to! Had no idea Aziz Ansari was planning this but I can't wait for the download to finish.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I hope this actually becomes a thing now. I mean, I'm willing to pay so much for a stand-up album, but I know that the stand-ups themselves don't see as much of the profits as they really should, and the whole DRM free thing is a nice touch.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
It's also nice to see the comedians have complete creative control of the final product, just like podcasts :)

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I still don't think this will become a thing. It really only works for established acts like Louis C.K.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I still don't think this will become a thing. It really only works for established acts like Louis C.K.

I completely agree, but if it works for enough established acts then maybe there's a hole in the market through those traditional distribution channels that more up-and-coming comedians can fill.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SKULE123 posted:

Aziz Ansari put out his own Louis CK special (this is the new generic term for a 5$ internet-only no DRM self-produced comedy special) without much fanfare. More to come from Jim Gaffigan (with more fanfare) and Joe Rogan in the months to come.

Louis CK: Comedy Edison.

edit: https://www.azizansari.com

Awesome. I hope this catches on with the established acts. $5 for a special with no DRM is a steal and I love how my money goes straight to the artist.

-edit And this is also awesome

quote:

Hello.

Thanks so much for buying my standup special.

I included some random stuff in here as a "digital bonus pack" of sorts.

Images and Photos
- Photos from backstage at the Carnegie Hall show in New York City.
- Photoshoots done with Ruvan Wijesooriya and Colin P. Smith for the tour poster and DVD cover.

Make Your Own DVD Cover
- Rather than include a cover, I thought it might be cool to include materials for you folks to make whatever cover you want, details in that folder.

Tour Posters
- I had some artists do some silkscreen posters for some dates of the Dangerously Delicious Tour. Here are images of those posters.

That's all!!

- Aziz

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 20, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Aziz rules so hard, everything he types and says sounds like a little kid who just discovered what he's talking about, he's got such a unique raw glee to everything it rules, downloading his new thing now!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

If by "it really only works for established acts" you mean "the only two people to do it that I personally know of to this point in time have been established acts" then sure. Seems really silly to completely write off a brand new distribution model based on no evidence.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

indigi posted:

If by "it really only works for established acts" you mean "the only two people to do it that I personally know of to this point in time have been established acts" then sure. Seems really silly to completely write off a brand new distribution model based on no evidence.

For Chris Rock or Jerry Seinfeld or anybody a lot of people know, it will work*. I don't think the model is going to work for Aziz because he isn't as popular (or, imo, his standup isn't as funny) as those people and others. There are A LOT of people who are on the bubble as to whether the model would work or not, e.g. Jim Gaffigan or maybe even PFT.

Radiohead tried the same thing a while back and it worked for them. I don't see a lot of (or any?) other bands trying it nowadays.

*=For the model to work, I mean that the comedian will make more money going the Louis C.K. route(CKR) as opposed to the potential fixed sales(PFS). So, if CKR > PFS, then by all means go ahead with it. But if PFS>CKR, then hold up son, we have to go through TicketMaster/LiveNation. If the artist doesn't care about revenue, then go CKR.

Edit: Fixed some errors. It's too hot.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 21, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Radiohead tried the same thing a while back and it worked for them. I don't see a lot of (or any?) other bands trying it nowadays.

Um, alot of artists still do this. Just because they don't get press like Radiohead did doesn't mean it isn't happening or that they aren't able to support themselves on it.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Sporadic posted:

Um, alot of artists still do this. Just because they don't get press like Radiohead did doesn't mean it isn't happening or that they aren't able to support themselves on it.

Okay, I'm trying to go off personal experience because I don't know where to get the data on the subject. I'll take your word that a lot of artists are doing this.

Let's put it another way. A comedian or band or whatever asks you to pay what you think this thing they created deserves. If you know this artist's prior work, and you like the prior work, you're more likely to pay a premium for the product. If, however, I come up to you and tell you that I just made this comedic record and that it's really good, and you can pay me what you want for it, would you pay me $15 or $8? Or less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

For Chris Rock or Jerry Seinfeld or anybody a lot of people know, it will work*. I don't think the model is going to work for Aziz because he isn't as popular (or, imo, his standup isn't as funny) as those people and others. There are A LOT of people who are on the bubble as to whether the model would work or not, e.g. Jim Gaffigan or maybe even PFT.

*=For the model to work, I mean that the comedian will make more money going the Louis C.K. route(CKR) as opposed to the potential fixed sales(PFS). So, if CKR > PFS, then by all means go ahead with it. But if PFS>CKR, then hold up son, we have to go through TicketMaster/LiveNation. If the artist doesn't care about revenue, then go CKR.

Edit: Fixed some errors. It's too hot.
More people probably know who Aziz Ansari is than Louis CK. Also, just because you don't find him funny (I don't either fwiw) doesn't mean he has no fans and that nobody will buy the special.

All that matters is how much money Aziz and other comics are putting into their produced specials and distribution services. Louis CK spent $250k total, but the smaller acts could cut that number way down. They won't need as much bandwidth on their site, their fans probably know the production values won't be as nice, and other costs.