Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

That was not a new special from Patton. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

That's what happens sometimes with Marc. Part of the fun of seeing him multiple nights while he's in your town.

I'll never get how 'well you're supposed to just buy a bunch of tickets for his shows to really get it' is a selling point but you're like the fifth person I've heard say something like 'yea he's super hostile and awkward about his audience but if you just seem him a few times he gets good'.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Glitterbomber posted:

I'll never get how 'well you're supposed to just buy a bunch of tickets for his shows to really get it' is a selling point but you're like the fifth person I've heard say something like 'yea he's super hostile and awkward about his audience but if you just seem him a few times he gets good'.

Indigi did say "sometimes." If it makes you feel any better, he wasn't hostile at all when I saw him until someone piped up about pirate torrents of Marc's CDs, which did irk him a bit. But that was only a couple of minutes and he moved on.

My wife and I got to talk to him briefly afterward. He was actually really nice and seemed genuinely happy to talk with his fans. Also he gave my wife a bunch of free stickers.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Honestly I love seeing him get hostile and lovely to the audience. I wasn't saying that part of the fun is lucking out on getting a winning ticket and seeing a "great" show; the fun is seeing the same dude, with the same material, in front of a very similar seeming crowd, put on two completely different shows. It's really something.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

That was not a new special from Patton. :colbert:

New to non-premium cable, to be fair.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
PFT's special was great, Oswalt's not so much.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

jyrka posted:

PFT's special was great, Oswalt's not so much.

I agree with you that what Comedy Central showed for Patton kind of sucked compared to his other specials. Oswalt's performance suffered from the editing that basic cable stand-up usually has to put up with. However the full-length album is far better than what they put on since Comedy Central removed some of the best bits from the special completely, and because CC neutered the bits they did play. I still think Finest Hour is a far better album than what was shown, and fans should seriously check this album out.

I really enjoyed PFT's special as well, even though I'd heard some of the stories on podcasts beforehand (his Weird Al story is on an old episode of CBB). If you're a fan of PFT or his Tompkast and have seen his special, he posted his encore performance which is incredibly similar to the usual intros to his podcast.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 27, 2012

darklcd
Apr 13, 2012
As someone who loves Bill Burr I've only just found out about his podcast about a week ago. I'm just wondering, I know he had been talking about another special he had done around early March, does anyone know when that's going to be played and if it's a dvd thing or on CC or anything.

e: He hasn't really talked about it on his podcast other than the fact that he did a special, so I was just wondering.

darklcd fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 27, 2012

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don't even think he knows for sure, yet.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

darklcd posted:

As someone who loves Bill Burr I've only just found out about his podcast about a week ago. I'm just wondering, I know he had been talking about another special he had done around early March, does anyone know when that's going to be played and if it's a dvd thing or on CC or anything.

e: He hasn't really talked about it on his podcast other than the fact that he did a special, so I was just wondering.

It's coming out this fall. On CC I think.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
There's a lengthy period from taping to air for a special because of all the editing involved. I thought I remembered a goon posting a picture from the Thompkins hour taping sometime last year.

In related news, Jim Norton is recording a new HBO special this weekend in my hometown (Cleveland).

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah PFT's was recorded in October.

Seems like it's gonna be a good year for specials. Chris Hardwick did his earlier this year, Garfunkle and Oates just did theirs, and apparently Kumail Nanjiani (who is awesome and yall should check him out) is prepping his hour. And TJ Miller's Mash-Up is filming now.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I remember seeing Pattons special when it aired on showtime and even then it was pretty eh. I even watched it a few more times just to make sure I wasn't just feeling lovely but nope it wasn't good.

Tompkins was amazing. I honestly didn't really enjoy his specials very much until this one. It feels like he and Patton switched places in my head lately which is weird.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have any idea when Todd Barry's special is going to air? I saw the taping in the fall, seems weird that I haven't heard from it since.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Seems like it's gonna be a good year for specials. Chris Hardwick did his earlier this year, Garfunkle and Oates just did theirs, and apparently Kumail Nanjiani (who is awesome and yall should check him out) is prepping his hour. And TJ Miller's Mash-Up is filming now.

I was at Hardwick's taping, it was awesome.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Kumail is my favorite about-to-explode comic. I really think in 10-15 years he'll be considered one of the greats.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

indigi posted:

Kumail is my favorite about-to-explode comic. I really think in 10-15 years he'll be considered one of the greats.

Man, I hope so. He kills at meltdown shows and always has funny poo poo. His "The Thing" joke gets me every time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZqMTp1TU1I

Dude has an incredible pedigree, came from Chicago, did a few years in NY and now is beasting in LA.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Oh gently caress watch this one too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBXn-owyAE&feature=related

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The "Laboring Under Delusions" DVD has a 16 minute encore (for a total of 90 minutes), a behind the scenes look at the Tompkast, and audio commentary by "Garry Marshall". loving awesome.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

FitFortDanga posted:

The "Laboring Under Delusions" DVD has a 16 minute encore (for a total of 90 minutes), a behind the scenes look at the Tompkast, and audio commentary by "Garry Marshall". loving awesome.

The encore is available for free here.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

indigi posted:

I hate to criticize anybody's taste in comedy but in the spirit of the late rear end in a top hat Patrice O'neal, I have to tell you that this dude is not funny at all.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

Animal-Mother posted:

I hate to criticize anybody's taste in comedy but in the spirit of the late rear end in a top hat Patrice O'neal, I have to tell you that this dude is not funny at all.

Thanks for the insight

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Animal-Mother posted:

Kumail is funny, hes just not edgy. Those Youtube clips are terrible.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Is Bobby Slayton as lovely as the couple of quick Youtube clips I just watched make him out to be? My girlfriend got some free tickets from the club he's playing this weekend, which already isn't a great sign.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Is Bobby Slayton as lovely as the couple of quick Youtube clips I just watched make him out to be? My girlfriend got some free tickets from the club he's playing this weekend, which already isn't a great sign.

He's pretty old-school in a not great way. He has a WTF up, although it might be archived at this point.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Dancing Potato posted:

He's pretty old-school in a not great way.

That's a great way to put into words the feeling I got from the clips I did catch. Unfortunately I won't have time before the show tomorrow night to check him out further, but it doesn't seem to matter as she's intent on going regardless. Oh well, after enough beer anybody can make me laugh.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
Kumail is one of the funniest comics I've ever seen live. Here's a great clip of him doing stand up on, of all places, "This American Life."

http://tal.fm/412/2

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
I'm really enjoying the indoor kids. kumil is really god drat funny.

Saw bill burr a week ago and his new hour ( the one after this special he just shot) is fantastic. I was drooling with laughter at some points. His wording, smashing the venue, his distaste for cellphones, everything way great. He shames me of wanting to be a working comedian.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I was originally introduced to PFT on Never Not Funny and I always like him on that podcast but when I investigated his actual material I discovered I just don't get it.

He seems to play so much of what he does for irony including his whole physical appearance. He didn't have that ironic mustache 5 years ago when it wasn't hip to have ironic facial hair.

Is there something I'm not getting or do you have to love ironic/I'm-not-trying comedy to enjoy Paul F Thompkins?

nadabolt
May 17, 2009
Paul F Tompkins is free of irony. He dresses that way because it makes him feel comfortable.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

nadabolt posted:

Paul F Tompkins is free of irony. He dresses that way because it makes him feel comfortable.
You're making GBS threads me right

Here's PFT in 2007 when he was doing Best Week Ever, looking like a normal comedian:

Click here to view the full image

And here he is now, trying very hard to deliberately cultivate an image:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
He likes suits and now that he's not on TV, he can sport a mustache if he feels like it. What exactly is ironic about any of this?

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

ibntumart posted:

He likes suits and now that he's not on TV, he can sport a mustache if he feels like it. What exactly is ironic about any of this?
We're all familiar with the fact that hipsters intentionally dress stupidly for the sake of irony.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009
I don't think you understand irony or why people do things they enjoy.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

nadabolt posted:

I don't think you understand irony or why people do things they enjoy.
Do you not live in a place where they have hipsters? I think most tuned-in people are well acquainted with this concept.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Kaptain K posted:

We're all familiar with the fact that hipsters intentionally dress stupidly for the sake of irony.

True. We're also all aware that Apple manufactures the iPad and iPhone line of consumer electronics, which is as relevant a statement as your PFT observations so far.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 6, 2012

nadabolt
May 17, 2009
Don't turn this into a hipster debate, it's been done to death and you folks never win.

Why does PFT (or anybody) pursuing his esoteric interests and aesthetic taste upset you?

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Am I just a weirdo if I think that he looks good regardless? Irony's not a thing and it's okay to like stuff for real.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

nadabolt posted:

Why does PFT (or anybody) pursuing his esoteric interests and aesthetic taste upset you?
Disingenuousness as a tool for comedy bothers me. The best comedy is sincere and genuine in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kaptain K posted:

Disingenuousness as a tool for comedy bothers me. The best comedy is sincere and genuine in my opinion.

PFT aside this is a pretty pretentious sounding thing and while your honesty is awesome I don't know if I support making GBS threads on people because their style is not your favorite - it's somebody's favorite. Not everything has to be meant for you. Some of the best comedy is sincere and genuine I agree, but there are plenty of things which are hilarious and insincere.