Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Comedy is pretty hard to judge outside of context. You could describe any comedian's more offensive work to someone and they'd sound like horrible people, but most of the time you'd be missing some other aspect of it. Maybe it's actually some kind of social commentary, or maybe the humour was actually in the absurdity or offensiveness of it.

Unless you actually hear it performed in context you have no way of knowing. With the Dane Cook stuff we don't have that context, so I think it's impossible for anyone to really know if it was that bad or not. The best we can get is second-hand descriptions from pissed off other comedians who may not be the most unbiased in this situation.

I think the real lovely thing is the bumping of the actual headliner that night. I understand that this is something that happens in comedy all the time, an established comedian showing up and doing time in someone else's slot, and I'm not sure what the accepted rules are in the comedy community, but I think if it's abused other comedians will hate you. Carlos Mencia was hated for doing that to people if I recall correctly.

Personally if I paid money to see a particular comedian and instead of seeing him I saw Dane Cook go up and do half-baked material instead, I'd be pretty pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

SpacePig posted:

I think it was just for King Baby, because I don't remember him doing it at all in Beyond the Pale or on his Comedy Central Presents episode. It did get grating really quickly, though, since there were times he would do a solid minute of them.

He did it a ton in Beyond the Pale, I think maybe less in King Baby (I haven't listened to that one in a while). I find it funny but can see how it could be grating after a while.

I look forward to this, I think he's a funny dude and seems like a good guy so hopefully it works out. Definitely curious to see what kind of sales he does since he doesn't have the name recognition of a guy like Louis.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjWiK7akpzA

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Politicalrancor posted:

Seriously I was hoping someone would have mentioned Kumail Nanjiani by now but w/e http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cvKcGVy6k watch that its literally one of the funniest things ever.

Kumail is great, I'm seeing him live in a few months. I really wish he'd come out with a damned album or special or something, the only material out there is random youtube clips.

His Indoor Kids podcast is also pretty good if you like video games.