Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Aziz Ansari put out his own Louis CK special (this is the new generic term for a 5$ internet-only no DRM self-produced comedy special) without much fanfare. More to come from Jim Gaffigan (with more fanfare) and Joe Rogan in the months to come.

Louis CK: Comedy Edison.

edit: https://www.azizansari.com

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Hoping the JFL Montreal announcements are made soon, and just as awesome. Last year I burned myself a bit by filling my slate before the smaller shows (which fell under the ZooFest banner) were announced, and I'll be a lot pickier until the full lineup is out.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Dancing Potato posted:

I didn't have a job last summer and the only thing I could swing was Paul F. Tompkins (which was great!). Gonna try to expand the slate this year.

I was there too. Love PFT, and I have to believe they'll be going above and beyond for the 30th Anniversary.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

He had a new hour at Just For Laughs Montreal called 'Caligula'. Don't doubt that it will get released at some point, but I have no concrete info.

edit: back from a dog walk, and now I do http://www.laughspin.com/2012/06/28/anthony-jeselnik-gets-his-own-comedy-central-show-fake-enthusiasm-does-not-interest-me/

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 3, 2012

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

escape artist posted:

Is he doing all new stuff? In other words, a new set from what was on Shakespeare? I know he's got a special premiering on Jan 13th. So I hope it's mostly new.

I presume he's touring the material from Caligula currently, which is the name of his next special and the basis of his material from his show of the same name at Just For Laughs Montreal -- all new since Shakespeare.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I'll be in LA for a Friday/Saturday/Sunday stint around April 5th. What are the best standup venues/shows to hit on those nights? Generally a pretty big podcast fiend and a regular Just For Laughs Montreal attendee. Anything I should arrange in advance or is it all show up and line up?

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 18, 2013

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

... if anyone knows who Jon Dore is

Been a fan of his since new talent nights at Yuk-Yuk's Ottawa, great to see him doing well in LA. Not much other talent out of here except Tom Green and Norm MacDonald.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Check out Heidi Foss. Phil Hanley is also Canadian. As is Paul Myrehaug.

Sorry, I meant Ottawa. Lots of great talent out of Canada for sure, especially once I discovered Stop Podcasting Yourself.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

It was a great show, and it was at Massey Hall (which is an amazing place for comedy). Did anyone here do the JFL42 thing? I did, and although it was confusing at first, it was a total steal for how much stuff I got to see for $100.

I came up for it (also go to JFL Montreal every year). Travelled up from Ottawa, so I could only stay the weekend, but it was still a steal to pack my schedule and get to see 6+ great shows over a weekend, especially with the token recovery mechanism.

Hope they integrate that aspect back into the Montreal mothership.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I posted a couple of months ago that I was heading to LA and trying to figure out who/what to see, but figured I'd post again now that most venues have a schedule up. I'm a big JFL-goer, so I'm excited to see pretty much anyone live - would love to pick the brains of any LA locals. Hope this isn't considered a bad use of the thread.

We're up April 5 and 6, and the interesting shows at Largo were sold out. UCB's schedule just went up, so we booked into ASSSSCAT! and a live Super Ego. Trying to pack in as much as we can - is the Comedy Store late Saturday show a good bet? Or are there better spots to go for an early/late Friday/Saturday comedy show? Checked the Splitsider guide to the LA comedy scene, but checking to see if anyone here knows better - especially for those particular nights.

Sad to just miss the Chelsea Peretti show Thursday at UCB.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 18, 2013

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

:drat: - exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I was going to see a TV taping of Sullivan & Son with Steve Byrne while in LA because I've never seen a tv taping before, but it just got called off because a cabbie broke Steve Byrne's jaw. :/

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You lucked out unless you wanted to watch a bad sitcom for 5 hours instead of 22 minutes.

You're probably right - will settle for the WB studio tour for that sort of thing.

Excited to see UCB, the Laugh Factory, and many other podcast-discussed places during my first trip to your fair city.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Amidst the Oswalt love, here's more to love him for.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/on-parks-and-recreation-patton-oswalt-gets-his-star-wars-nerd-on

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Complicated schedule that week means I have to miss the climactic weekend, but it's pretty ridiculous that I'll see 5-8 anticipated shows (Burress, Notaro, Bamford, Glass, Kinane, and the usual pleasant surprises of Talk of the Fest/Andy Kindler's Alt Show/Midnight Surprise) across the Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday of that week.

Can't want to see Toronto's JFL lineup, too - this works out great for underserved Ottawa comedy fans.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

While Kumail's was pretty good Bamford's might be the best of the year for me. She's so sneaky good.

Just got back from seeing her at Just For Laughs - the small details of her performance are just so good - voice / tone, gestures, expressions.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Not to be all TMZ, but I feel like I learned a lot about Norton when I read that he used to date Chelsea Peretti.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Yeah I don't know what he meant by that, but I know exactly what you meant by this. Ugh. Chelsea :(

But yeah, SKULE123 feel free to explain what you mean.

I just meant that there must be something decent and normalish about him, given my (limited) understanding of Chelsea. Maybe he just pushes his freakazoid public persona hard in the world of O&A fans he caters to.

Or it could just be some kind of young female/old male weird comedy relationship dynamic, like when I heard that Morgan Murphy and Marc Maron used to date. Yeesh, it seems like I pay too much attention to that kind of thing but I really don't.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I was stoked to hear him mention on Sklarbro County that he was planning to bring Varietopia to Just For Laughs Montreal, so I had the slightest chance in heck of attending one.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Just For Laughs Montreal just posted their lineup (http://justforlaughs.com/ - too many acts to list), in this celebration of Canadian Comedy Christmas. Glad they announced the big shows at the same time as the Off JFL shows which I tend to prefer.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

There's a passport and a Comedy Overload pass which I don't understand and haven't tried - but it's usually a la carte ticketing which can add up.

A lot of our podcast comedian favorites are on the Off JFL series in smaller venues, which are awesome and 20$ish. The Galas and bigger shows can be as high as 80$.

That said, it's pretty amazing to hang around a great city like Montreal and spend 60$ running between 3 shows a night and pass by comedians rushing the other way - a lot of venues are walking distance from each other.

I hit JFL42 also and really like the price and check-in system, but Montreal is a different beast.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

NYC goons: I'm heading up between October 10 and 13, and want to catch as much comedy as possible. Anything in particular I should get to, or just generally work my way through the list here, checking to see who gets booked?

http://splitsider.com/2013/02/splitsiders-guide-to-nycs-comedy-scene/

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

That's pretty awesome. I like to plan ahead, but it looks like I'll have reasonable success suppressing my nerd instincts and just checking that on a mostly daily basis while we're there?

Thank you!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Missing JFL42 this year after attending the first two, but as a longtime MTL JFL guy, I strongly recommend catching the Andy Kindler show on the last night of the run.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

That's kinda my experience with the specials for everyone in the DeathSquad(tm).

I can enjoy them live or in storyteller shows.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Just wrapping up a stay in NYC, and saw Louis CK drop in unannounced at the Comedy Cellar to try 50 new minutes of new material. Went to UCB to check out Whiplash the next night, and he dropped in to do the same thing with a few new premises and small bits of wording change. It was near to see into his process like that.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

What kinda material was he doing? Funny voices stuff or like Conan O'Brien cellphone stuff?

A couple of more absurd or unconnected bits (some thinking about Achilles), but mostly along the storytelling sorta trajectory, like family/daughter stuff and reminiscing about some past memories that came out of digging an answering machine out of storage.

Seemed pretty far along, and as good as you'd expect.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Paul F. Tompkins is passing SpeakEasy to Russell Peters?

http://splitsider.com/2015/11/paul-f-tompkins-passes-the-hosting-torch-to-russell-peters-on-speakeasy/

1) Apart from Aziz's Randy, hard to imagine a larger change in tone.
2) Isn't Russell Peters rich enough to not do web content?

I say all this with absolute love for PFT, and kinda being done with RP as Canadian who has heard his stuff for decades.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Question for Austin-ites: going to JFL MTL, I've found that if I want to go to a specific set of the club shows, tickets are better than passes, especially because we like those better than the headliner shows.

Planning on going to Moontower this year, but the website seems to indicate that the festival is a lot more pass-driven than ticket-driven, and it looks like they have more interesting headliner shows (to our tastes). Is that accurate? Sounds like there isn't that many tickets floating around for club shows, and that this is a case where it's better to get passes.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I saw the new David Cross special today on Netflix. Really sharp stuff. His bit on the glut of mass shootings is great.

I'll have to watch it - he walked a lot of people from the taping I attended. Apparently Rick Perry was at the second?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

He's huge globally (he was big in Canada for a while before hitting it big all over), but never really broke out the same way in the US. He's kind of a weird dude and even though I think he's got a great ear for accents, I don't care for him.

His episode of The Champs (RIP, great podcast) had him talk about walking under bleachers before shows to indulge his foot fetish.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

He also has a new Comedy Central half hour I've yet to watch. He's kind of like a young Marc Maron.

Should we skip the first 10 minutes?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just picked up tickets for John Mulaney and Nick Kroll's broadway show. I'm hoping it's good, because if it isn't that was a lot of money to spend.

I loved the near-final version of it they did at JFL Montreal.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Going for next weekend. If you book through the app, they maybe shoulda put it out a while ago.

I like the festival and it is cheaper with the credits and less popular/crowded than Montreal (also lesser acts) but it is a pain to organise tickets for a group.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

He mentioned he was a very active Usenet poster back in the day.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

He was the first really big name I ever saw as a high school comedy nerd in Ottawa, where he grew up after his army family settled.

Was he related to John Kricfalusi of Ren and Stimpy somehow? I know he performed on one of his later shows, Ripping Friends.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

https://medium.com/@skydart/rose-colored-glasses-6be0594970ca

Hardwick has a reckoning coming.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

https://deadline.com/2018/06/chris-hardwick-off-nerdist-site-abuse-allegations-chloe-dyskstra-1202411456/

Chris Hardwick is being wiped off Nerdist.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Von Linus posted:

That's how I felt about him when I tried listening. Just repellent stuff and I don't really care if he means it ironically or not, it's depressing.

Totally respect everyone who has that read on it. I am a fan and think there's a bit more nuance to it, and I think this Vulture article is the best put version of it, but don't expect it to change any minds.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/anthony-jeselnik-fire-in-the-maternity-ward-review.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Megazver posted:

Rogan on a recent podcast mentioned that DiPaolo is, like, the only stand-up comedian he knows who's a) really into politics and b) is a conservative.

Steven Crowder, past JRE guest, wept a single tear when Joe said this.