Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Marc Maron's From Bleak To Dark was really good.

Jim Jefferies' High N' Dry was also pretty good, expectedly crass though. Be prepared for a bit of transphobia, or at least, some really reductive and boorish takes on the subject from someone who is otherwise surprisingly progressive. And he talks about Greta Thunberg a bit too much. The anecdote and follow-up speculation about going to see Elton John with his friend who inadvertently yelled out "fag!" was hilarious though.

What are some good resources for staying up on these specials dropping? Now that I can't use my folks' Netflix anymore I'm gonna be torrenting a lot of stuff, and I hunger for novel comedy routines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw Jefferies tour that show, it feels like it was nearly 2 years ago now. I hope Mulaney doesn’t take too long with his taping as I missed him this time. Last time I think it came out like a week after I saw him.

Same thing happened to me with Nick Kroll's latest show. I saw him in (looking it up now) 2019 and the routine was mostly the same as his latest Netflix special, Little Big Boy or whatever it's called. I think it was exactly the same actually, but a bit rearranged. When I saw him he closed with the recording of his hypnotherapist telling him about "the cockroaches in the Pringles cans" in a thick German accent that was clearly the inspiration for one of his funniest voices.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

1glitch0 posted:

So netflix is supposed to show a live Chris Rock special in a few hours and I guess there's no hype anywhere?

Yeah, first I heard about it was today. I wonder if Netflix is hurting more than they let on from people jumping ship after they location-restricted their accounts. I know I don't even try to use it anymore.

Looking forward to checking that out after it's available though, I'm sure there's gonna be some spicy material in there.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Last time I watched a special I was gonna write some post asking about who the hell designs the stages for these things... But I just threw on the Chris Rock special and now I'm more immediately concerned about something else: is it, like, a rule that if you use hip-hop beats in your Netflix special, they have to be the shittiest beats anyone has ever heard?

Edit: why is he wearing a necklace with Prince's symbol on it

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 5, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Zugzwang posted:

Marc Maron made fun of those comedians in From Bleak to Dark. People bitching about ‘cancel culture’ or ‘wokeness’ is a surefire sign that they are hopelessly out of touch and also probably out of ideas too.

Yeah, this bit was great. I definitely am tired of that poo poo too. I tuned out of Chris Rock's set when he started talking about that poo poo; TBH I really just wanted to hear his take on The Slap, in retrospect like 85% of that special was a waste of time.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A buddy just sent me this and I'm glad I didn't put it on my phone while I was at work. I just got home and I'm hoping my laughter doesn't wake my roommates. I think this guy is one to look out for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTe4dtyDV4

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Mulaney's new special on thepiratebayNetflix is expectedly hilarious. It's got really slick production design too, including a weird title card that comes up later in the show than you'd expect with a bizarre musical number by David Byrne.

But it's got some seriously creative camerawork that legitimately has me wondering how it was done. I see this in a lot of modern standup but it's really pronounced in this one: apparently very close shots that sometimes rotate around him to show the audience. I know the obvious way this must be done is to just have a camera operator around and creatively edit takes from different showings together so you don't see them, but it's really seamless, like strikingly so - all of John's gestures and even stage blocking appear identical. As a matter of fact, I can't see a camera or camera operator anywhere in the venue.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That would have been my second guess but I would think any drone carrying a quality 4K camera would be way to loud to edit around even with a spectral editing tool like iZoTope.

Plus, again I can't see a drat thing. I think it definitely is just multiple performances cut together traditionally, but drat if it isn't one of the most smooth cuts I've ever seen. And yeah, the production designers went to great length to hide every camera in the place.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Sitting in the theatre about to see Conner O'Malley. My second bailed and none of my friends wanted the extra ticket, but that's cool. I honestly have no idea what to expect from his standup, I've only ever seen him through guest spots on ITYSL and other shows, and his ludicrous YouTube videos. I'm excited.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, he screamed a lot. The whole set (90 minutes!) was basically framed like a pitch for his 'Stand-Up Solutions' service. He was in character as some name I can't remember, and wore a baseball cap and an ill-fitting blue polo shirt tucked into equally ill-fitting khaki pants with a horizontal phone holster on his belt. There was a projector and he showed slides and also video clips of 'the world's first AI stand-up comic'. He went on about everything from his extremely-alpha daily routine and diet (one of my favourite bits; his workout included 'outdoor yelling' and 'ape run on treadmill', both of which he had clips of him doing). He had some good audience interactions too, including asking someone "What're your pronouns? ... OK, how many Polaks does it take to make chocolate chip ice cream?" and he took someone's phone and 'scanned it' on his laptop, using it to feed the 'AI stand-up comic' and create a 'customized routine' for that one person (which was of course just really edgy offensive stuff).

And yeah, the screaming. He screamed a lot, the most of which was when he talked about his 'origin story' where he was on a picnic with his wife and kids and they were murdered by "a bunch of old Italian men" so he became The Punisher. He repeatedly screamed "NOOOOO" for like a minute straight.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Reggie Watts came into my work the other day. He was buying a looper, a Boss RC505, which I thought was super weird because I always saw him using an EHX unit in videos instead. Anyway, super nice guy, unmistakable voice.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i mean the amount of guys in stand up impersonating Louis CK from like 2008 to 2016 was insane

Not just in standup, but walking around in public too

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

George H.W. oval office posted:

I'm going to see Tim Robinson in April and I'm pretty pumped about it. I have no idea how his stand up will be

I feel like you're just going for the zipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think the first standup special i really sat down and watched all of, turning me on to the genre, was Robin Williams Live on Broadway. Prior to that (and Death to Smoochy the same year) I don't think I was even aware that he was a fantastically vulgar comic and it really opened my eyes to the whole genre.

Imagine how much funny poo poo that man would have to say at the state of the world if he were still alive. :smith: