Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

jdsalmon posted:

Anybody else at the Bridgetown Comedy Fest this weekend? Between this and seeing James Adomian's show on wednesday night, I'm gotten to see a lot of great stuff and drank too much beer for four days straight.

Ron Funches was particularly solid, and gets quieter when the audience gets bigger.

I missed the rest but was at Adomians set on wednesday. He killed it. Amazing material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I just saw Marc Maron do stand up in Portland. It was fantastic but man, is it adversarial. Lots of reassuring himself that the audience was "all right." He didn't get entirely comfortable until he was talking to one person in the front row.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I've said it before but I absolutely hate Doug Benson. I think he actually makes other comics worse. There are a lot of CBB episodes with him where he just doesn't fit and play along with what's going on. Then there's The Benson Interruption, which I checked out because he gets some great comics on there but jesus, did I hate it. The premise is: What if there were comics I really loved and this comic I really hate just hosed with their sets? Seeing his face actually irritates me, I hate him so much.

On the plus side, I just say Kyle Kinane at Helium in Portland and he's fantastic. My date took me to the show and she's a big fan but I had never heard of him. That's an oversight on my part and I plan on rectifying it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

Ehhh... maybe the first few Benson Interruptions were like that but the latest ones have basically been live talk-show podcasts. Very few comics do TBI with the intention of burning actual material anymore, so most of them come on with one or two prepared jokes or a story or something. Also, angry at comedy!!!

Maybe strong annoyance is a better word but I think it's more or less OK to be angry at anything. I don't think anger is that strong a word. I'm not dedicating my life to defaming him.

I'll also admit I haven't listened to any later TBIs but why would I after disliking other stuff I've seen him do? I'm pretty much happy he doesn't end up on CBB anymore so I can safely ignore him.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Oh yeah, this reminds me. I went to an open mic a couple weeks ago, and did my first 5 minutes! It was terrifying and I was so nervous that I completely forgot a chunk, but I'm definitely going to do it again.

This is a goal of mine for the summer. I live in Portland we have Helium, which is an amazingly warm open mic. I just need to get my material finalized. Bravo for having the courage.