Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Comedians who seem like they would be nice people:
John Mulaney
Pete Holmes
Mike Birbiglia

Those are the only ones I can think of, the rest are all hosed up in one way or another.

I manually waded through this thread on my phone to see if anyone mentioned Pete Holmes and I can’t believe it took this long, thank you. His jokes are rewatchably hilarious and his podcast is one of the better comedian podcasts. His podcast and book were a gateway to a very healing spiritual journey after over a decade of grief for me, but also I remember him from a Premium Blend where he did a joke about resting hands on hips like someone pregnant and I never would’ve guessed.

I saw Mulaney in Atlanta in his last tour and I could barely get enough breaths in between chunks to survive. In hindsight he might’ve just killed on the first joke and hypoxia took care of the rest.

I also got to see Emo Philips, who tours often and I highly recommend seeing live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

sponges posted:

I'm replying to a months old post here so you might never read this but:

As much as I like Pete Holmes podcast I can't make heads or tails out of his spiritual/religious beliefs. He starts talking about infinite wisdom and mindfulness and I'm just lost. I have no frame of reference for this stuff.

I recommend his book to understand him better. There are a few stories that he saved for it that paint a more complete picture of his journey. The Power of Now is also in that spiritual field. I just listened to the Be Here Now talks by Ram Dass and it’s enlightening but it’s missing a lot of context that if you didn’t know about RD or at the very least listen to Pete regurgitate his teachings then I don’t know what you’d think.

I find it annoying when he’s manic and incessantly interrupts guests, especially rare/interesting ones. My wife hates it too but she loves listening to Dax Shepard so to each his own.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Jippa posted:

I was just listening to pete and neal brennan. I love the observation that there are no female jnrs.

That was good. My heart went out to Neal when he talked about not having a comedy class, I've heard so many comedians talk about coming up together and it's such a different story.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

The Lucas Brothers wrote an article for Vulture in response to the protests and it’s a good read.

https://www.vulture.com/amp/article/our-brother-kaizen.html

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

WerthersWay posted:

I love Eric Andre but that special was so bad I turned it off after 20 minutes. I legit thought he was doing a parody of bad frat boy comedy up top and then it kept going and going...

Same, it was unwatchable for me.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maria Bamford has a new album out! Imma listen to it today!

Edit: Err, new to me anyway apparently it came out January of last year and somehow I'd convinced myself it was still 2020

A new-to-you album is as good as a new album, and that is a great one!

I watched one of her first virtual shows back around May and she has a new one coming up this month. I think I'm going to check it out just to see how she's adapted over 10 months.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Brian Regan's new Netflix special was pretty good.

I remember he did a joke about peoples' indignant use of "they can put a man on the moon" to complain about inconveniences and it might be one of my favorite stand-up jokes I've ever seen. I still think about it a lot.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Do not go to his twitter and look at the rest of his garbage. I think that room is filled with all the people who would possibly find that funny, and even then people are walking out.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

He sounds like a nA-A-A-A-zi (goat bleat)

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Bo released the Inside outtakes and an extended album.

On that subject, there’s a podcast called Dissect that analyzes whole albums, so far artists from Lauren Hill to Childish Gambino, but he’s currently doing a series on Inside and it’s fascinating. I highly recommend it for the analytical comedy geeks. One tidbit I hadn’t realized is the simplified chord progression played as the into to Problematic, where Bo is revealed to be watching his first YouTube video, are the chords from that video’s song, “My Whole Family.”

e. This deluxe Inside album really fills the gaps that make the special much richer than the 20 song album. The example I gave is the track "Looking Back" and oh no I'm going to listen to Inside day-in-day-out for another full year of my life aren't I

superjew fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 3, 2022

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

We saw Patton Oswalt in Atlanta Friday and it was a delight. We missed his last tour when he was working on We All Scream and the filmed special was not so good to us - it felt like a lot of pandemic rust getting shaken off. This show was super casual and the smallest venue I’ve ever seen a big name in. The opener was great (Orlando Leyba) and Patton made his 40 minutes feel like much more.

We recently saw Michael Che and Colin Jost with Marcelo Hernandez opening before the strike ended and that was a wild show, but everyone including the hosts were quite drunk. I’d rather have seen another half hour of Patton, though. I’d go see a Marcelo show too, he was very polished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Lewis kvetched so that Gulman could gripe.