Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Jesus Christ, no, you never dose/spike anyone without their knowledge. Period.

This is Drug Etiquette 101 and I've know it since I was 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1273453014603436034

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah I knew DiPaolo was one of these "politically incorrect" and "edgy" comics. I knew him mostly from some talk show oriented comedian show that I forget the name of. It had Patrice O'Neal and Greg Giraldo on it...*google*...It was "Tough Crowd" which I thought was pretty good.

On that show, my only real exposure to him, DiPaolo came of as the contrarian angry conservative dad type that I occasionally found funny in that context but I never thought he was deep rooted and loving serious. Counting down to him crying about how he's being silenced, censored and black balled by liberal hollywood and can't say certain offensive words in his act anymore.

If the rumors about Jeff Ross are true than that sucks too because I like his stuff and he seems like a decent enough guy.

Thing is...

I'm not easily offended by edgy stuff in a stand up act. More often than not, I kind of enjoy it, but get why others don't.The world and society evolves and comedy has to evolve with it. It's one of the reasons I appreciate the art form since, more often than not, it's a mirror and a sort of time capsule that reflects modern attitudes during the time. Perhaps more than any other genre (music, film, TV), at least relative to direct and proportionate social impact. You can see a lot of correlation between what comedians were popular at any given time and what society was like then.

Sam Kinison, Dice, Eddie Murphy, Carlin and Pryor are still funny to me to varying degrees, despite a lot of cringe, and I'm rarely inclined to conclude that a comic is a horrible person based solely and entirely on their act. See: Dave Chapelle and his transgender stuff. It's complicated and a tough line to walk.

Eddie Murphy and Kinison's gay "jokes" are just BAD but I still find them both to be funny and talented. Eddie's stuff on race and Sam's riffs on religion hold up fine. I don't think Clay is without talent. Times change and what's "funny" changes with it. Some of it doesn't age well. Jim Jeffries is my favorite comedian and he's done material on on rape for crying out loud but then he addresses context during the same bit.

But when these people are revealed to be sex creeps, racists or actual rapists, there's nothing funny about any of it.

Sorry...just ranting about stand up comedy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I always wondered why he never showed up on the comedy podcast circuit. Not saying he's the arbiter of truth but yeah illuminating

What do we think he's asserting here? Not saying he's lying about anything but unsure who his targets are. Ross and...?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Speaking of compensation, how does it work for Sirius channels like Raw Dog that play bits from stand up acts all day?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

George Carlin documentary just dropped on HBO Max and I're read nothing but great reviews.

Anyone checked it out yet?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s pretty good! First part is what I watched and it goes up until the late 1970s and it’s a pretty good balanced look at the man. It treats him as the massive influence he is but also doesn’t shy away from the parts of his life that were much harder, namely his fall into addiction and how his family dealt with that, but also the moments in his career where he sort of turned into a parody of his early self. I had never seen Rick Moranis’ imitation of him, it’s funny but also very unflattering and very accurate.

I'm not sure I'd call that entirely accurate.

I think he got older and crankier and more angry and it was reflected in his work. He changed his approach a lot over the years depending on context, societal norms and to some extent the commercial avenues available to him. I watched a couple of his later specials and didn't find them funny at all. It was just vitriol, frustration and anger but I didn't if find it to be self parody the way that acts like, say, Kinison or Dice did to where it was just...well...like you said.

I actually found him to be MUCH different, and not in a good way.

What was sad to me, and how I viewed it, was that Carlin couldn't find much of what motivated his comedy to be funny anymore or pull the humor out of it. If anything, his later stuff was LESS like how he was in his prime, where he could skewer hypocrisy in clever, satirical ways and used his art for language and its rhythm. It was just an old man yelling at a cloud towards the end and that's basically I think where he found himself. His act in the later years was just mean spirited to me but I think, like most of his stuff, it was a reflection of the world around him.

Like the joke was over, you know?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^He just wasn't FUNNY, at least to me^^^

I remember when I felt the sea change in his act around the late 1990's. It was before 9/11. I know that. I was excited to see him do some new poo poo and had just gotten HBO or something and it was just this angry old dude loving ranting and bitching about poo poo with what I felt was a mean spirit to it. Elements of punching down even, which is hard to make funny.

Kinison in his prime could do angry and skate up on the edge of acceptability but he managed to take down religion, marriage and politics with a lot of darkness and skewered sacred cows in ways that were...well...funny. At least to me. And to a lot of people.

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m not talking about later years Carlin, we aren’t even to the 1980s yet. I’m talking about the late 70s Carlin who got so deep into the wordplay that it inspired Rick Moranis to do this:

https://youtu.be/-3j-yE49gvM

That’s based off of a very real, very stupid Carlin bit about the words “peace” and “peas,” and to hear Carlin tell it watching this impression of him made him realize that he was gonna be a relic if he didn’t change his ways. The doc also mentions Cheech Marin calling him a relic when Cheech and Chong were at the top of their game and Carlin was on his way down. That’s the only time he became a parody of himself; his much later HBO era is, like you say, way different and not self-parody but just a change in style and the perspective he took in his act.

Wow. That's actually really interesting so thanks for the clarification. I thought you were saying at the end that he had doubled down on his shtick and become stale. Kind of funny reading that particular level of criticism from Cheech & Chong lecturing anyone about self parody or becoming relics though. Since, you know, they evolved so much. And I enjoy a lot of Cheech and Chong stuff, as stupid as it is, so I'm not making GBS threads on them but they seem like the last people with the credibility to call someone out for becoming a one dimensional cartoon character.

Carlin changed up his poo poo a lot though. From straight necktie comedy, to hippy poo poo and so forth. I never thought he got stale, just less humorous.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 21, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Finished up the Carlin doc on HBO and thought it was fantastic.

Remulak posted:

I can’t get over what a terrible target trans people are. It’s so weird that I should get angry but I’m flummoxed.

This country and what it finds funny has a long history of singling out minorities. I read some RW bullshit somewhere talking about how the percentage of homosexuals is rising in the US (and in which case so what?) but, no it's not, you loving morons. You shamed them into the closet and ruined their lives and careers so much that they were afraid to come out. Now more people admit it.

I don't pretend to understand everything about transexuality but, you know what? None of it effects my life. I mean, aside that I dislike bigots, but I mean directly. Kyle Kinane did a bit on it that was something along the lines of "hey, factory parts aint workin for you? Go get some custom parts off the shelf and build you own poo poo". Like, if they're such a small minority, why do these morons care so much about them just because they have to adjust a few pronouns here and there or self censor jokes that make fun of marginalized people? I don't mind edgy comedy, can take a joke and don't offend easily but simply being mean isn't funny.

Clever is funny.

I'm glad we've moved past the Eddie Murphy, Kinison and DIce fag jokes (and I enjoy some of thier work) but it's insane to realize how not only acceptable that poo poo used to be, but how POPULAR and mainstream. I'm glad this board moved away from the word "human being" which was everywhere 15 years ago. It was just a given that gay people were funny and worthy of derision. As a bi male who didn't fully figure it out until my 20's, I remember even back in my teens being made to feel uncomfortable for liking Prince, Bowie, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Rod Stewart, Queen or The Pet Shop Boys because "they're gay" was an automatic put down and "friends" would make fun of me.

I had a few obviously gay classmates in my college who were the butt of jokes. Looking back, I think one of my best friends from Freshman and Sophmore years was queer but wasn't out. You couldn't be.

loving lay off people a little. There's better and more creative ways to be funny. We've largely moved on from cheap jokes on how bout them jews/women/black people poo poo. I don't know why trans issues are such a hill to die on right now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Riptor posted:

agreed but it doesn't stop people from calling this a "dead gay website" every two minutes for reasons i don't loving understand

Beaten, but yeah it's from the movie Heathers where two jocks are killed and staged to look like gay lovers. One of the dads at the funeral says "I love my son. I love my dead gay son", only accepting him death despite the fact he wasn't gay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMroWnWIqs0

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The_Rob posted:

You say he wasn’t gay but he was found in the Forrest with mineral water.

Oh, poo poo. I forgot about that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Riptor posted:

I understand that but there's an intended joke in referring to his "dead gay son" that is very much of the time of the movie and which doesn't work anymore.

In other words just because it's a reference doesn't mean it's not a reference to something homophobic

I don't think it's meant to be mean spirited but I get you.

I asked the same question about a year ago wondering the same thing as you. I think it was just trying to find a funny death scene to riff off of and equate to a dying comedy forum. I personally think the scene still works because it's trying to show the jock dad, whose obviously a homophobe, repents at the funeral only accepts the idea of gayness when it's his kid and also to play off the idea that Winona and Slater's whole entire scheme was backfiring as the people they hated (and killed) started to garner sympathy for false reasons.

I dunno.

FWIW, I never call this place a dead gay forum

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So Doug Stanhope's house was burning down and he streamed it

https://boingboing.net/2022/11/23/doug-stanhope-dances-while-his-house-burns-down.html

Last night, comedian Doug Stanhope posted a TikTok showing his house burning down. While it's clearly not a laughing matter, he tried to find some levity in the situation by singing and dancing to the Talking Heads' Burning Down the House.

The Bisbee, Arizona resident also tweeted, "As I realized my house was on fire, I just thought What Should I Save? Phone and cigarettes was what i grabbed. I shoulda grabbed the full pack. Now I wonder if I will ever find contractors to work in Bisbee. Go Cardinals?"

https://twitter.com/DougStanhope/status/1594968939091697665

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

escape artist posted:

I saw him perform a month ago... he did 90 minutes in a sold out club, signed autographs for fans, then performed for about 25 people at the hotel bar's open mic. It was legendary

Glad the fire wasn't worse

Cool. I love his stuff and wish his name rang out a little more loudly. He's also a good example of an "edgy" comedian that's "allowed to say controversial things" without getting canceled. Not sure where he comes down on that issue of comedians feeling censored or whatever. I guess because he comes off like he doesn't loving give a poo poo either way or maybe because he's not mainstream or widely known enough to generate outrage and the people who go to see him know what they're in for anyway.

But that bit he did about the troops where he suckered the audience is something I could see the FOX News crowd getting their nuts in a twist about.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Edit: why is he wearing a necklace with Prince's symbol on it

They were pretty good friends and Rock is a huge fan

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/03/05/what-does-chris-rocks-prince-necklace-mean-love-symbol-seen-in-netflix-special/

He interviewed Prince one time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6k13ZDRl7g

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 5, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

AV Club did a list of 40 all time stand up specials that took me back a bit and turned me on to some new stuff

https://www.avclub.com/best-stand-up-comedy-specials-1850684604/slides/1

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Harminoff posted:

No "the day the laughter died"?

That was an album. Double album in fact.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

The new Todd Barry special is up on YouTube. It's... a little meh? Like, not bad, but not quite as good as his previous stuff.

I liked it. Thanks for letting me know it was out.

I somehow wound up in a YT rabbit hole that led me to an interview with Dice Clay and Marc Maron.

That led me to a VICE series called "The Dark Side of Comedy", which I'm going through now.

I know that Dice, Murphy, Kinison and others catch a lot of poo poo for some very dated and extremely bigoted material but, in Andrew's case, it always ALWAYS struck me that I was watching a parody of an idiot; a character that he was lampooning that I saw all over the place living in Philadelphia and was an act that I never took seriously. The problem starts, though, with the quick realization that his audience doesn't seem to be entirely in on the joke. I watched Dice Rules and the crowd reactions were unsettling, mean and angry.

Dice talks about this on his WTF Marc Maron podcast where he explains that the entire bit is a satirical takedown on lunk headed, stereotypical Brooklyn guido types, and that's how I always took his act. He speaks on how he never quite understood that a large segment of his fans didn't get this. But the lightning in a bottle he captured in the late 80's that rocketed him to rock star status was inseparable from the type of audience that thinks that AIDS jokes, misogyny, racism and gay people are topics in and of themselves. I'm a bisexual male and never took exception to Dice's jokes but of course I get why many people would.

It's a weird dichotomy because I honestly don't think that Andrew himself is really like this, based on the interviews I've listened to at least. Most comedians seemed to be aware that none of his poo poo was coming from a serious place. It just packed houses - filled with people seeking an outlet for their prejudice - and made him a fortune. He started out doing several characters and Diceman was the one that caught on.

Does this say more about the artist or the audience?

Reminded me of the time I went to a GWAR show in the early 90's. I was wearing a Fishbone t-shirt that said "gently caress racism" and the concert hall had a not insignificant number of actual skin head nazis who took the band's schtick seemingly at face value. GWAR was openly mocking from the stage in between songs but, like Clay's audience, they were too stupid to pick up on it. I was honestly concerned for my safety given my attire and stayed near the back but it was so weird seeing an act that's clearly a satirical art project, and who were basically filling a venue with idiots they despise.

Here's the VICE segment I watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igzQNEkznG4

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Right. I don't really buy it either and it all seems patently obvious that Dice was just riding the gravy train, counting money and achieving his stated dream of being the biggest rock star comic in history at the time; doing whatever it took to get there. I'd still say the act was clearly satirical and that, for the most part, I doubt that he's really like that in his day to day life.

He kind of stumbled into it, since the Dice persona was just one of several characters he was doing when he first started out and which became the most popular. I get the criticism and backlash and certainly history has not been kind. But he's not an untalented hack either. He had good timing, did some great impressions and is a good actor - in addition to knowing how to work a crowd, for better or worse.

I think he can be genuinely funny but, eventually, (like Kinison too) everything became about the persona.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^I don't know who that is^^

skeletronics posted:

Isn't that the same thing that happened with Larry the Cable Guy? Dude was just doing a character to kind of make fun of a certain type of dude, and then that type of dude became his audience, which became huge?

Yes, that's a good example I think.

Even though Larry's poo poo isn't nearly as offensive as peak Dice or rock star Sam, the guy just kind of struck gold doing a character that resonated with people and everyone wants money, especially artists. If I were doing stand up and created, say, a parody of some MAGA/Q adjacent talk radio listener who mainlined Sean Hannity that was played entirely for laughs and then, all of a sudden, I was packing audiences of 10,000 people who unironically AGREED with me and being invited on podcasts and talk shows and poo poo, I'd probably roll with it even if my audience wasn't entirely in on the joke.

Except I'd probably take great pains to make sure my interviews and whatnot were "out of character" and go out of my way to emphasize my "off stage" persona, rather than lean into it and keep being that famous persona. Stephen Colbert comes to mind in this regard. He was lampooning Bill O'Reilly but a large percentage of his audience thought he was totally serious.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I also think of Foxworthy, who carved out his whole "I'm a Redneck, haha" persona that he managed to eventually parlay into a TV show and untold wealth. Again, just by tapping into a certain audience that was largely ignored or under represented. I don't know if that was always his thing or not but all you need is a catchphrase that catches on a lot of times. Ron White was the best comedian on that Redneck tour by far but Larry and Jeff became the big stars. I even forget who the 4th dude was.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Foxworthy was huge before the early 00's white trash comedy thing. Dude was the headliner for a reason

I know and I didn't mean to imply that the White Trash entourage was what launched him. I even recall seeing cassettes of his in gas stations all over the south and midwest as far back as 1990. I just meant he tapped into a "character" of sorts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Strange Cares posted:

Yeah a polished hour is way funnier but seeing a good comedian working poo poo out at an open mic or in a club is fascinating to me.

I have a lot of respect for anyone that even tries it. I can be funny here and there and have been described as funny by some but it's always contextual and based on things that are happening naturally unless it's a joke I'm telling. For the life of me, the idea of having to be funny at exactly 8pm on a thursday night in front of a bunch of people expecting to laugh is really daunting. Like, regardless of your mood, what kind of day you had, how long you had to work poo poo out (like you said), the pressure of really needing to deliver no matter the circumstances or the environment has to be intimidating, if not completely terrifying.

I've been to some open mic nights and have thought about trying it myself and even if they're not doing well I have a lot of respect for anyone who tries. BE FUNNY on command...NOW!...Man.

It's like...imagine the difference between even finding some funny poo poo to riff on at a party in a small group compared to how funny you might be if suddenly the whole party got silent and started listening to you tell your jokes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

skeletronics posted:

I've been performing stand up for well over 10 years. I'm still pretty much just doing open mics and the occasional smaller show.

Might make a cool Ask/Tell thread

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

In honor of Tommy Smothers' passing I wanna post this

The Late Tommy Smothers Was Canceled Back When That Meant Something

https://www.cracked.com/article_40618_the-late-tommy-smothers-was-canceled-back-when-that-meant-something.html

Cracked article I know but a decent read and also some good YT videos.

Reason I put it here is because of all the "you can't make jokes no more" cancel culture bullshit and the Smothers Brothers were on the forefront of that stuff. Buttoned up squares hated this material and I love how they pulled off so much subversive, counterculture material by looking like they just came from church or some poo poo.

Smothers Brothers were loving great and well ahead of their time.

If you don't wanna click the CRACKED article, here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMm3j6MB5Ys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n-kMI25ZcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHETC5qAnqo

If these don't do it for you, Liberace getting pulled over by a cop is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biPiMrgHMpo

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 27, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I had seen things about the AI Carlin "special" and didn't realize it was being done by someone who ought to know better. This sucks.

Carlin's daughter is suing the makers of the AI generated thing and I hope she wins. I already think the genie is out of the bottle on AI but a legal victory here in the early stages of this poo poo will help a lot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lots of Richard Lewis tributes and interviews floating around recently. Was he really a legend? Because I never got it.

I never really liked his stand up or found him very funny but I guess he's perceived as a borderline icon. As far as self deprecating comic acts go, I prefer Marc Maron, Jim Jefferies and many others. I think a lot of it for me is Lewis' delivery, rhythm and timing, along with the sense that his entire act never had room to breathe or give any pacing to the style. It's been a while since I listened to his stuff but, from memory, it reminds me of late stage Carlin, where the whole act is just a onenote bitch/whine fest and it became more depressing than funny for me. They're different in content but similar in execution for me.

I enjoy dark comedy but Lewis (and old man George) came off as kind of playing one long angry sad song instead of doing a real set list, if that makes sense.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Yep. But we all dig different stuff. I also think he's really good on Curb Your Enthusiasm, and I was listening to his new podcast lately, also always enjoyed him on stuff like Gilbert Gottfried's podcast. I'll say for me, half of what I enjoy about comedy is just an interesting person. I like Richard, he's interesting, he's funny, I think he's a legend for sure.

Oh, no doubt. That's the most interesting thing about comedy for me. Also horror. What's funny and/or scary is probably the most subjective thing I can think of and varies SO much from person to person. I never really watched Curb so I can't comment on his performance there and I agree that Lewis was, at a minimum, interesting. NPR aired some interviews with him this week and he definitely comes off as intelligent, honest and coming from a good place.

I just never really dug his stand up, at least the specials and stuff that I watched.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

He's a legend to me, but he's also one of the first stand-up comedians I really liked and connected with. I saw a lot of him as a kid on Comedy Central (Channel?) in the early/mid 90s. He was one of the first comics I saw that actually seemed cool and without that hacky vibe a lot of comics have. I watched a never ending parade of stand-up as a kid and he really stood out and felt like something special. But I also really liked Carlin too so it might just be a different taste thing.

I adore George Carlin. He's one of my favorite comics of all time. But somewhere I want to say around the mid to late 90's, the stuff he was doing struck me as more of an angry, bitter, old man rant and I recall being let down by an HBO special of his for the very first time. I forget which show it was but it was just...hostile more than funny.

I get why people liked Lewis and he seems like a cool enough guy. I just never clicked with him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What was the joke that set them off? I have to imagine some punchline or something hit a little too close to home for the couple.

Also, it sucks that when I see this stuff, I become immediately suspicious that it's all a set up to go viral.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't know Alex Edelman but I guess his new special largely centers around him going to a meeting of White Nationalists in NYC so I'm kind of curious about it.

E

Also, I guess this is stand up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJYS0IIN7hc

I really like Triumph the Insult comic Dog and here he's doing a game show in SF with Adam Savage, Rob Schneider and Weird AL Yankovic, so right away a weird panel. Lots of good counter examples to "you can't say or make jokes about things anymore". I got a kick out of it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 30, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Never seen this before and I love Todd Barry.

https://tubitv.com/movies/490027/todd-barry-crowd-work-tour

NOthing but crowd work

Tubi has a lot of cool poo poo on there actually if you poke around some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Short documentary I found on Brett Butler. Forgot how good she was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ocsgQckxi4